The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Gotta say I'm very nervous now. I believe that it all matters on the questions asked on the day, some longer questions I've looked at and been lost straight away haha, although the more recent ones I've been getting low 70s which I am very happy with, and the 2012 one i got 67 on.

I reckon as long as people get high 60s they stand a good chance with good GCSEs in relation to their school's performance and a decent interview.

Ah well on thursday after the MAT there is the senior maths challenge to look forward to haha.
Reply 821
I wish I could offer some glimmer of hope with a comment like "Don't worry, it gets better!". Unfortunately it's all downhill from the MAT to undergraduate maths :rofl:
Original post by Yezi_L
Ohhh you're absolutely right! I don't know why I took the slope as -1 from part 1... Do you then get ay+x=1+2a ?

Apparently I made 1k) far more complicated as we don't need to use conditional probability.

Thanks for the explanation for part c), I do get it now :smile:

Yea, that's what I got. :smile:
Original post by BeltonianNewt
Anyone from Scotland applying to Oxford to do Mathematics?
Does anyone have a good understanding of how Higher Mathematics (AS level equivalent) compares to the material in the MAT?

Yes. You need to know the trapezium rule and sequences and series. (sequences and series doesn't come until the end of unit 2 in Advanced Higher)
You should also look over some geometry rules, I think there's some in GCSE that we haven't done. Like similar triangles, and other things in circles.
Have a good look over the syllabus. What college did you apply to?

This website is so helpful! http://www.drfrostmaths.com/profile.php?user=JFrost&page=4
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 824
Original post by dutchmaths
No offense, but you do realize that there are answers to all tests online? There's nothing wrong with needing help, but once people start giving you tips, it's not exactly a realistic simulation of the actual test situation, so you might as well look those up.

If the online answers are not explanatory enough, ignore this comment. In that case I understand why you would come to TSR for help.

i dont understand the final step in which they went from sinx<x<tanx to the answer. obviously i checked the answers first :smile:)
Reply 825
anyone else feel like what they're getting on past papers the umpteenth time round is only higher because you're subconsciously memorising the questions and answers. so its not an accurate representation of your results.
Original post by cem101
anyone else feel like what they're getting on past papers the umpteenth time round is only higher because you're subconsciously memorising the questions and answers. so its not an accurate representation of your results.

Yep, that's why I wish there were more papers to practice from. I've given up on re-doing them because of that reason. Oh well
Reply 827
Original post by cem101
i dont understand the final step in which they went from sinx<x<tanx to the answer. obviously i checked the answers first :smile:)

Hey, I think I did this one. I believe there's an explanation that I posted a few pages back. You can check that out, but it's probably pretty lousy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 828
Original post by souktik
Hey, I think I did this one. I believe there's an explanation that I posted a few pages back. You can check that out, but it's probably pretty lousy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

amazing explanation thanks!!
Reply 829
Hello everyone. I started reading this discussion and I saw that people have been preparing for MAT since August... I started a month ago. I am incredibly nervous.
I'm applying to imperial for mathematics with statistics for finance.
Original post by jadoreétudier
Yes. You need to know the trapezium rule and sequences and series. (sequences and series doesn't come until the end of unit 2 in Advanced Higher)
You should also look over some geometry rules, I think there's some in GCSE that we haven't done. Like similar triangles, and other things in circles.

This website is so helpful! http://www.drfrostmaths.com/profile.php?user=JFrost&page=4

Thanks mate. Merton, you?

Are you a Scottish applicant too?

Hertford and yep. :smile:
Reply 832
Original post by lzliiz
Hello everyone. I started reading this discussion and I saw that people have been preparing for MAT since August... I started a month ago. I am incredibly nervous.

I probably hadn't heard of the MAT back in August. How long you've prepared doesn't matter that much. Best of luck. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Another Merton maths applicant! It seems like there's a lot of us.
That site jadoreetudièr quoted is amazing! What kind of scores are you getting on when practicing?
A general question: If I reach the answer to an open question in a different way than the solutions do, will I still be able to get full points, as long as my reasoning is sound? Sometimes I've taken a wildly different approach and I'm not sure whether to award myself points for that..
Original post by jadoreétudier

:redface: How did you discover the website?
(I know it because the creator of the website is my brother's maths teacher from last year...)
Reply 836
Original post by cem101
amazing explanation thanks!!

Glad that you found it useful. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
A general question: If I reach the answer to an open question in a different way than the solutions do, will I still be able to get full points, as long as my reasoning is sound? Sometimes I've taken a wildly different approach and I'm not sure whether to award myself points for that..

As long as your reasoning is sound then I would think so!

Original post by yl95
:redface: How did you discover the website?
(I know it because the creator of the website is my brother's maths teacher from last year...)

It was posted a few pages back on this thread and I wish I knew about it earlier!
Reply 838

I'm pretty sure you get full credit as long as you've communicated your idea and written the steps properly. It's an exam by Oxford University, they'll surely appreciate an original and rigorous proof. Of course, your proof needs to be correct. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 839
Original post by lzliiz

i wouldnt worry tbh. i started preparing at the beginning of october. i think past doing the pastpapers theres not really much you can do to improve your score (this test is aimed moreso than normal maths exams to test raw talent and current ability, than most maths tests - dont take that too literally; what i mean is that it is intended that preparation won't help your score and familiarisation with the formatting and timing of the papers is sufficient.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending