The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ParadoxSocks

I just know that the first question I'm asked tomorrow (they are an extremely Catholic school) is if I am a Christian and I'm going to have some sort of awkward meltdown. I'm struggling with my faith - am I an atheist or am I not when I think there are flashes of belief in there. It's just going to feel awful :frown:

This probably doesn't help very much, but remember it is illegal for them to ask about your faith - you are well within your rights to refuse to answer if you're not comfortable disclosing it.
Its such a good job the council talk to other departments and know whats what :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys,

It's been a while since I wrote on here but I've surprised myself in that I've been feeling better these last few months :eek::smile:. I decided to take a year out so I've been working away. What I wanted to ask was do you have any ideas what else I could do this year so I haven't *just* worked - I feel like I should do some more interesting things as well, and still find I can feel quite down/bored/anxious on my days off?

Hope things are okay with all of you, I've not really been following the thread
Original post by sadpanda123
Hi guys,

It's been a while since I wrote on here but I've surprised myself in that I've been feeling better these last few months :eek::smile:. I decided to take a year out so I've been working away. What I wanted to ask was do you have any ideas what else I could do this year so I haven't *just* worked - I feel like I should do some more interesting things as well, and still find I can feel quite down/bored/anxious on my days off?

Hiya! Glad to hear you've been feeling better :smile:

My three things to do personally, would be:

1. Travelling
2. Volunteering
3. Language learning

not necessarily in that order though :h:
Reply 9684
I'm giving up on anon, it's too much hassle. I still feel really awful, everything hurts and I've been sick but I've barely eaten anything so it just hurt.

I'm supposed to be on placement at a pharmacy tomorrow but if I feel like this I won't be able to go :frown: my friend says I should skip my meds today and tomorrow and see if I feel well enough for the placement, but this sounds like a bad idea? I don't know what to do :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hiya! Glad to hear you've been feeling better :smile:

My three things to do personally, would be:

1. Travelling
2. Volunteering
3. Language learning

not necessarily in that order though :h:

I volunteer already but am finding it difficult to fit around my work sometimes although I will keep doing it anyway. Maybe I should try to do something new with it because I've been doing it for a while and it's not that exciting any more haha.

I need to get planning a trip somewhere I think, maybe in the spring so I have something to look forward to. I won't have anyone to go with though so might need to look into going with one of those companies that takes groups or waiting for the holidays so I can go with my friends that are at uni.

Thanks for replying :smile:
I volunteer already but am finding it difficult to fit around my work sometimes although I will keep doing it anyway. Maybe I should try to do something new with it because I've been doing it for a while and it's not that exciting any more haha.

I guess it's just about finding something that fits? Some of my volunteering jobs I like better than others. Volunteering can be so tiring as well :eek:

I need to get planning a trip somewhere I think, maybe in the spring so I have something to look forward to. I won't have anyone to go with though so might need to look into going with one of those companies that takes groups or waiting for the holidays so I can go with my friends that are at uni.

Thanks for replying :smile:

Spring sounds like a good time. Def look into those companies and STA travel and places, and see if you can find anything nice to do :h:
Original post by Nathanielle
I did my homework!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:captain: On the right way!

Hm, Secret Santa sounds awesome, but I won't be in the UK. Is that a problem?

PM me and I'm sure we can work something out. :smile:

Hi guys,

Glad to hear things have got better for you. :smile: Do you have any hobbies that could keep you occupied in your spare time? I tend to make presents for my friends and family when I'm at a loose end, and I find that it's very rewarding. :yep: I also spend an hour or so a day playing with or looking after my pet mice, which again makes me really happy. :h: Obviously getting a pet is a big decision, but in my case I've found it's been really beneficial.
Original post by Harley
I'm giving up on anon, it's too much hassle. I still feel really awful, everything hurts and I've been sick but I've barely eaten anything so it just hurt.

I'm supposed to be on placement at a pharmacy tomorrow but if I feel like this I won't be able to go :frown: my friend says I should skip my meds today and tomorrow and see if I feel well enough for the placement, but this sounds like a bad idea? I don't know what to do :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't try your friend's idea either - it could mean you have to deal with side-effects for even longer, and might delay the meds in doing their actual job. Much better to decide one way or the other if you want to be on or off them, and stick to that decision.
Hi everyone!
Just wanted to ask about other people's experiences when phoning Samaritans
I've done it several times in the past and I always find it awkward at the start...the person just goes ''Hello?''

Where do you go from there? I can't really think of a decent way to start the conversation, usually just say something like ''can I talk to you'' which is stupid really cos they've just answered the bloody phone...

What do you lot think?
Reply 9689
Original post by superwolf

I wouldn't try your friend's idea either - it could mean you have to deal with side-effects for even longer, and might delay the meds in doing their actual job. Much better to decide one way or the other if you want to be on or off them, and stick to that decision.

Okay, I want to stay on them because I need to deal with feeling so depressed but feeling this sick is awful. I've not got out of bed since Friday :frown:

I'll take today's dose then :smile: I'm just really gutted that I might miss my placement, and I'm going to have to explain to my lecturers why I missed it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Harley
Okay, I want to stay on them because I need to deal with feeling so depressed but feeling this sick is awful. I've not got out of bed since Friday :frown:

I'll take today's dose then :smile: I'm just really gutted that I might miss my placement, and I'm going to have to explain to my lecturers why I missed it

Posted from TSR Mobile

It might be a good idea to make an appointment with your GP/whoever prescribed you the medication. I had similarly bad side-effects on one or two antidepressants and had to be taken off them very quickly because they were having such a bad effect on me. It can be quite hard to judge for yourself whether the potential advantages outweigh the disadvantages, so I'd suggest talking to your doctor. :smile:
Reply 9691
It might be a good idea to make an appointment with your GP/whoever prescribed you the medication. I had similarly bad side-effects on one or two antidepressants and had to be taken off them very quickly because they were having such a bad effect on me. It can be quite hard to judge for yourself whether the potential advantages outweigh the disadvantages, so I'd suggest talking to your doctor. :smile:

I've got an appointment on Wednesday so I'll keep taking them till then and see what he says. The whole reason I wanted to go on meds was to stop myself missing so many classes at uni but it seems to have backfired! My friend has agreed to go buy me lucozade so that's a positive :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
This probably doesn't help very much, but remember it is illegal for them to ask about your faith - you are well within your rights to refuse to answer if you're not comfortable disclosing it.

I know I can refuse but I think it'll still be awkward as the refusal pretty much flags me as a not Catholic.

I can't believe they turned your church into a gym! :eek: That's so awful :console: :hugs: :frown: I don't know much about the Methodist church but I've always had the impression they are very loving and accepting of most, if not all, people. You should have gone back! Though I totally understand why you didn't :jumphug:

I will keep my fingers crossed for you that it's OK. You're always welcome to inbox me about your faith, or to write in X Soc. We're all very friendly and it doesn't matter if you don't know what you believe. No one will try and brainwash you, least of all me! If that would help as a resource for you, do use it but equally, no pressure to if you'd rather not. Just want you to know that you can talk to me if that would help at all :hugs:

Spoiler

It's the "Give me Strength" gym too so it's doubly upsetting. The Methodists are a lovely bunch. Still not quite there on same sex marriage but they're crawling towards it and definitely have a good "love everything and everyone!" message.

The school looks brilliant and supportive and I really hope I like it. And it's a really good School Direct school so this is essentially a ten day long job interview. I'm just absolutely terrified of not fitting in or being too awkward or for being one of the people that the students are awful with.

Thank you for the offer and for your lovely thoughts. As soon as I start pulling myself back together I'll definitely see if I can find myself in a place where I can start creeping back towards some sort of faith.

Spoiler

So, for the second time my exciting ATOS ESA appointment has been moved, last time I had 2 days notice, this time they ring me up on the morning. ><
I know I can refuse but I think it'll still be awkward as the refusal pretty much flags me as a not Catholic.

Catholic schools DO employ non-Catholic teachers, so hopefully it won't be as awkward as you think. I hate to have to say this to you but I would try and avoid references to your girlfriend, though. Lots of Catholics can be close-minded about these things, unfortunately :s-smilie:

It's the "Give me Strength" gym too so it's doubly upsetting. The Methodists are a lovely bunch. Still not quite there on same sex marriage but they're crawling towards it and definitely have a good "love everything and everyone!" message.

I don't think anyone, Quakers aside, are quite there on same sex marriage, are they? :no:

The school looks brilliant and supportive and I really hope I like it. And it's a really good School Direct school so this is essentially a ten day long job interview. I'm just absolutely terrified of not fitting in or being too awkward or for being one of the people that the students are awful with.

I have lots of confidence that you will be great with the students. You're such a great PS Helper and it's the same sorts of skills, so I have faith that you won't be awful - far from it! :hugs:

Thank you for the offer and for your lovely thoughts. As soon as I start pulling myself back together I'll definitely see if I can find myself in a place where I can start creeping back towards some sort of faith.

Spoiler

No worries :h:

Spoiler

Original post by Harley
I've got an appointment on Wednesday so I'll keep taking them till then and see what he says. The whole reason I wanted to go on meds was to stop myself missing so many classes at uni but it seems to have backfired! My friend has agreed to go buy me lucozade so that's a positive :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:yy: Sounds like a plan, and make sure and keep us posted. :smile:

Original post by rmhumphries
So, for the second time my exciting ATOS ESA appointment has been moved, last time I had 2 days notice, this time they ring me up on the morning. ><

What a surprising turn of events! :lol: Still, why do today what you can put off till tomorrow? :tongue:

:crossedf:

Just wanted to say good luck, and that you'll make a fantastic teacher.

Also you and girlfriend should come visit us sometime. :smile:
Catholic schools DO employ non-Catholic teachers, so hopefully it won't be as awkward as you think. I hate to have to say this to you but I would try and avoid references to your girlfriend, though. Lots of Catholics can be close-minded about these things, unfortunately :s-smilie:

I don't think anyone, Quakers aside, are quite there on same sex marriage, are they? :no:

I have lots of confidence that you will be great with the students. You're such a great PS Helper and it's the same sorts of skills, so I have faith that you won't be awful - far from it! :hugs:

No worries :h:

Spoiler

Oh, I'm definitely staying silent about the girlfriend having situation. I've de-gay-blinged this morning. Off came my uber gay ampersand ring and gayer than gay thumb ring and tonight my ladylove is trying to get my lip ring out of my face.

They have several placement students and they can't all be Catholic so I'll be okay. I think it's literally just my teenage angst triggering all over again.

I do love the Quakers. They're such a brilliant bunch and their food is excellent :sogood:

I'm hoping I can't be too bad. My main worry is how shy I am and I've been super OCD-twitchy recently. I have symmetrical contact OCD so if I get too anxious I'll just look super odd and twitchy. I'm just going to stay positive. I've printed myself out some help sheets, observations sheets and the general information from the school's website so I can refer to it if needed and I just need to smile my way through it.
Looks like im living of rennie for the forseable future :woo:
Just want the pain to stop so i can atleast sleep :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, I'm definitely staying silent about the girlfriend having situation. I've de-gay-blinged this morning. Off came my uber gay ampersand ring and gayer than gay thumb ring and tonight my ladylove is trying to get my lip ring out of my face.

Tiz a shame to lose the bling :frown: I suppose you can't wear too much jewellery in schools anyway? :dontknow:

They have several placement students and they can't all be Catholic so I'll be okay. I think it's literally just my teenage angst triggering all over again.

Yeah, I can totally see how it would bring back old memories for you. You are stronger than you think though and I do believe you can get through this :smile:

I do love the Quakers. They're such a brilliant bunch and their food is excellent :sogood:

I know jack all about Quakers but they do seem a pretty cool denomination, from the little I do know! :yep:

I'm hoping I can't be too bad. My main worry is how shy I am and I've been super OCD-twitchy recently. I have symmetrical contact OCD so if I get too anxious I'll just look super odd and twitchy. I'm just going to stay positive. I've printed myself out some help sheets, observations sheets and the general information from the school's website so I can refer to it if needed and I just need to smile my way through it.

That's the spirit! You can totally do this! :yep:
:yy: Sounds like a plan, and make sure and keep us posted. :smile:

What a surprising turn of events! :lol: Still, why do today what you can put off till tomorrow? :tongue:

Just wanted to say good luck, and that you'll make a fantastic teacher.

Also you and girlfriend should come visit us sometime. :smile:

Thank yooooou! I will definitely come to you soonish. Hopefully before Christmas! I think I've managed to get myself involved in so many things that my brain is about to explode at the moment but it'll settle again soon and I really miss you guys!

Latest