The Student Room Group

SELF STUDY - A-Levels - Big'ol general thread!

SELF STUDY - A-Levels - Big'ol general thread!

Couldn't find any kind of general thread for people self teaching AS or A2s so I thought I'd make one!
Use the thread for discussing your trials, tribulations and successes of self study!
Also use the thread to help anyone who needs help of any kind in the subjects they mention as I'm pretty sure I might need help later on! And for anyone doing Physics, Chemistry and Maths, I might be able to help for AS and A2 work.

Oh and any techniques people have to say would be gratefully appreciated!

I'm self teaching Biology OCR AS (With prep set by a biology teacher at school) and its proving to be so far ok with the revision guide and big text book but I can see in module 2 some rough roads ahead...

Post away!
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reply 2

Hi here Vichu, self-studying?
Reply 3
self taught FMaths, got an A :biggrin:
Reply 4
Gna self teach myself Additional Further Maths this year :colone:
Reply 5
Original post by riashat
Gna self teach myself Additional Further Maths this year :colone:

WHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYY

I'm teaching myself Further Maths, I thought that was pretty bad aha. Can't imagine the later Mechanics and Stats units, they look dreadful. How are you finding it?
Reply 6
Original post by Flauta
WHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYY

I'm teaching myself Further Maths, I thought that was pretty bad aha. Can't imagine the later Mechanics and Stats units, they look dreadful. How are you finding it?

On gap year and thought I might try it for fun, since I know I can get decent grades during self teaching, I thought, why not? :biggrin:

I've grown on mechanics lately. I'm finding them ok. But its decision modules that Im worried about. Im afraid that they'l be boring as hell to learn l0l :biggrin:

Atleast in mech and stats and further pures its quite fun :biggrin:

Waht modules are you doing?
Reply 7
Original post by riashat
On gap year and thought I might try it for fun, since I know I can get decent grades during self teaching, I thought, why not? :biggrin:

I've grown on mechanics lately. I'm finding them ok. But its decision modules that Im worried about. Im afraid that they'l be boring as hell to learn l0l :biggrin:

Oh fair enough, are you applying to university this year then? Guess it's something to keep you busy :smile:

Decision was boring af, but it can be learnt quite quickly, just need to memorise a bunch of algorithms, 10 minutes reading through them every night was enough for me to get an A. Would agree that all the other modules are fun, decision just feels really mundane.

FP1 FP2 D1 last year, FP3 M2 S2 this year. Did S1 and M1 for core too. Which ones did you do/are you doing now?
Reply 8
Original post by Flauta
Oh fair enough, are you applying to university this year then? Guess it's something to keep you busy :smile:

Decision was boring af, but it can be learnt quite quickly, just need to memorise a bunch of algorithms, 10 minutes reading through them every night was enough for me to get an A. Would agree that all the other modules are fun, decision just feels really mundane.

FP1 FP2 D1 last year, FP3 M2 S2 this year. Did S1 and M1 for core too. Which ones did you do/are you doing now?

iv done c1-4, s1-2, m1-2, fp1

gna do s3-4, m3-5, d1-2, fp2-3

Im applying for Chemistry at uni :biggrin: work experience is unheard of and unis dont require it, so i thought id jus do something i like :colone:

what are you applying for? are you in year 13 now?
Reply 9
Original post by riashat

Im applying for Chemistry at uni :biggrin: work experience is unheard of and unis dont require it, so i thought id jus do something i like :colone:

what are you applying for? are you in year 13 now?

Ah, so you're doing further maths A2 too?

Yeah I haven't ever heard of anyone doing work experience for chemistry, it's an academic course. Are up to to much else?

In year 13 now, applying to study maths. My school decided not to offer it so to get a chance of getting into decent unis I took it :smile: Where're you looking at?
Reply 10
Original post by Flauta
Ah, so you're doing further maths A2 too?

Yeah I haven't ever heard of anyone doing work experience for chemistry, it's an academic course. Are up to to much else?

In year 13 now, applying to study maths. My school decided not to offer it so to get a chance of getting into decent unis I took it :smile: Where're you looking at?

Bristol/Durham/ York/ Warwick maybe Imperial and UCL

leme guess yours: Warwick/Imperial/Bath/Bristol? :biggrin:
Self taught Maths A Level in year eleven. Got an A, resitting C3 wjec.

Self teaching further mathematics this year, hopefully FP1, M1-3, S2 and FP2-3 next year.

Also self taught History AS in year eleven, got a B, remarking though... Hopefully an A.
Reply 12
Original post by riashat

Nah, not really that likely to get an A* in further maths and the thought of taking STEP on top of my other exams this summer makes me feel sick. Going for Liverpool/Leeds/Manchester/Nottingham/Bristol.
Original post by riashat

:five: I'm in Year 12 but hoping to do chemistry as well :biggrin:

Imperial, Durham and York were three choices I had in mind too! Along with Cambridge NatSci and somewhere (Edinburgh?) Else...
Reply 14
Original post by riashat

I actually found decision quite interesting, its a different side of maths. Don't get me wrong though, I still loved the pure stuff but I disliked the mechanics :frown:
Still maths isn't much needed in medicine :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by lisa96
I'm not self teaching, but I may as well be since my A2 teacher's don't even know how to teach :cry:

same case here :frown:
Pretty much self teaching maths and chem, should be done with c1-2 and s1-2 in about a week. Anyone else self-teaching AS math and chem?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by lisa96
I'm not self teaching, but I may as well be since my A2 teacher's don't even know how to teach :cry:

My physics teacher is a bit like that but the head of physics just make sets of notes for each topic that we work through and that is pretty comprehensive so all is good for self teaching there :biggrin:

Original post by Navo D.
same case here :frown:
Pretty much self teaching maths and chem, should be done with c1-2 and s1-2 in about a week. Anyone else self-teaching AS math and chem?

I didn't self teach them but I can imagine that chemistry is going to be a hard AS to self teach o.O
Reply 17
Need this thread, it seemed external candidates were rare and topics on the subject can be like blood from a stone.

I'm going to do full A-Levels in Maths (Pure Core, Further Pure and Mechanics 1-5), Further Maths and Physics (with Astrophysics unit 5) as well as AS Chemistry. AS this year, A2 next year.

I started the big search for colleges/schools in September and kinda finished in October. Then I had to decide which board to go with, I think it'll be AQA. Now I have to choose between Campbell Harris, which is £1,000 cheaper but that's not taking into account train tickets to London, or locally which is £1,000 more but I can pay for AS now and A2 next year (think CH wants full payment). I emailed both again yesterday to ask if their sessions involve practice and learning or if it's stictly examination.

My method of learning is first just loaning the books from the library and reading them. I do it while playing Football Manager, what with its loading and processing screens. I found OCR GCSE Chemistry and Physics books in a charity shop for just £1.50 each, so I read them. I guess I'll be learning Physics and Chemistry first, since the practicals will be only in a few months, while Maths exams will be a couple of months after. Also I guess I'll put less emphasis on Chemistry since it's the fourth AS subject and the grade for that isn't all that important. I'm only officially doing it because doing the 3.5 norm means questions aren't raised.

Other than not understanding everything quickly enough, my main worry is about Mechanics 3-5, since info on that seems incredibly rare. I'd have to hope that the rare books on it make sense.

Original post by riashat

How are you preparing for M3-5, given that there seems to be so little help on it?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by ozzyoscy
Need this thread, it seemed external candidates were rare and topics on the subject can be like blood from a stone.

I'm going to do full A-Levels in Maths (Pure Core, Further Pure and Mechanics 1-5), Further Maths and Physics (with Astrophysics unit 5) as well as AS Chemistry. AS this year, A2 next year.

I started the big search for colleges/schools in September and kinda finished in October. Then I had to decide which board to go with, I think it'll be AQA. Now I have to choose between Campbell Harris, which is £1,000 cheaper but that's not taking into account train tickets to London, or locally which is £1,000 more but I can pay for AS now and A2 next year (think CH wants full payment). I emailed both again yesterday to ask if their sessions involve practice and learning or if it's stictly examination.

My method of learning is first just loaning the books from the library and reading them. I do it while playing Football Manager, what with its loading and processing screens. I found OCR GCSE Chemistry and Physics books in a charity shop for just £1.50 each, so I read them. I guess I'll be learning Physics and Chemistry first, since the practicals will be only in a few months, while Maths exams will be a couple of months after. Also I guess I'll put less emphasis on Chemistry since it's the fourth AS subject and the grade for that isn't all that important. I'm only officially doing it because doing the 3.5 norm means questions aren't raised.

Other than not understanding everything quickly enough, my main worry is about Mechanics 3-5, since info on that seems incredibly rare. I'd have to hope that the rare books on it make sense.

How are you preparing for M3-5, given that there seems to be so little help on it?

Well after A-level maths and AS further maths, you kinda develop a certain level of mathematical maturity - given someone does well in them. I'm at that stage where I can just look through the books examples and using the CD see the worked solutions and apply them in my work.

Don't worry if you're finding them slightly hard to cope with, the exams are in june now, and chances are, you will be much better at thinking through maths problems after a couple months of just maths practice.

The more maths you do (whether its stats decision or pure), the more technique you develop, and you can just spot the start of a solution to a question upon glancing at it for 1 minute or 2 (sometimes quicker).

good luck :smile:
Also self studying A-Level maths to take all 6 exams (C1, C2, M1, C3, C4, M2) in May/June next year. Need a C overall for the university course I want. All I can do is my best I guess!

Quick Reply

Latest