The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Regarding the acceptance rate discussion I think most would agree on that the "acceptance rate" is the number of applicants who receive an offer. In addition to this, I am confident that every program at every university, including Oxbridge, LSE, etc. accepts more students than they expect will enter any particular program. No programs or universities have perfect yield rates, so this is done in order to reach the desired number of students for each program, surprising as that may seem. Naturally, the more competitive programs would be likely to make less offers in proportion to the number of places, knowing that they can expect higher yield rates. As was pointed out earlier, Harvard College--which has one of the most competitive admissions for any undergraduate program in the United States and the world--has a yield rate of around 75%, which is considered very high, still it represents *only* 3 out of 4 admitted applicants.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 1061
I think I've read somewhere (think was on this thread) that LSE has a yield rate of about 50%. When I was looking at LSE website I remember seeing some stats that were called admission stats but the access was limited and required a login page of some sort? As for the 5 weeks email.. it seems that most people who have applied before October 15 got the 5 week email, at least it appears so based what I've seen on TSR. But I think most people who are bothered enough to look here are probably slightly more serious about LSE, and I also I dont think everyone posts bad news anyway. Also, I have this feeling most of us also have Oxbridge in mind, which means that we probably have decent results that actually meet the requirement, as opposed to someone who may just want to try their luck at LSE, which may also explain the high 5 week email rate....
Reply 1062
Original post by Yuqi96
As for the 5 weeks email.. it seems that most people who have applied before October 15 got the 5 week email, at least it appears so based what I've seen on TSR. But I think most people who are bothered enough to look here are probably slightly more serious about LSE, and I also I dont think everyone posts bad news anyway. Also, I have this feeling most of us also have Oxbridge in mind, which means that we probably have decent results that actually meet the requirement, as opposed to someone who may just want to try their luck at LSE, which may also explain the high 5 week email rate....

that makes perfect sense .Why didnt realise that myself:confused::s-smilie::s-smilie:
Original post by Yuqi96
I think I've read somewhere (think was on this thread) that LSE has a yield rate of about 50%. When I was looking at LSE website I remember seeing some stats that were called admission stats but the access was limited and required a login page of some sort? As for the 5 weeks email.. it seems that most people who have applied before October 15 got the 5 week email, at least it appears so based what I've seen on TSR. But I think most people who are bothered enough to look here are probably slightly more serious about LSE, and I also I dont think everyone posts bad news anyway. Also, I have this feeling most of us also have Oxbridge in mind, which means that we probably have decent results that actually meet the requirement, as opposed to someone who may just want to try their luck at LSE, which may also explain the high 5 week email rate....

I'm trying my luck at LSE AND Cambridge.. Still managed to get my 5 week email :') :banana2:
hi everyone :smile: i am an international student and applied to Bsc management. In a few hours, I received an acknowledgement email saying they hv received my app and introduced the assessor. At the end of the email it said they will will be in touch with me in 2 weeks. But does that mean i will not receive the 2 weeks email? Or they are combined?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Loretta_8
hi everyone :smile: i am an international student and applied to Bsc management. In a few hours, I received an acknowledgement email saying they hv received my app and introduced the assessor. At the end of the email it said they will will be in touch with me in 2 weeks. But does that mean i will not receive the 2 weeks email? Or they are combined?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is the "two week" email. Sometime during the two week period, they will either send you another email saying that your application is strong enough, or they'll give you an offer/rejection.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe you first get the two week email, then the twelve week email, and if your application is deemed strong enough for consideration, you then receive the five week email. I think I speak for most of us when I say that we do not really know what exactly the five week email means, but it is very likely that it just means that the application technically meets the minimum requirements for admission and that you have a chance of receiving an offer. I suspect that it is only those applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements as judged by the "Admissions Assessor" who do not receive the five week email and instead receive a rejection. I hope this cleared some things up!

To others: If I were you I would not get my hopes up too much based on the five week email. It is very likely that it only means that you are eligible for being reviewed by the admissions officer(s) of the actual program you are applying to, based on a assessment by the "Admissions Assessor" as they call it. It is likely that those who do not receive the five weeks email are applicants who actually could have ruled out the possibility of admission before even applying--those who more or less "wasted" the application. I think some here take this five week email as some kind of sign of being shortlisted as a strong applicant, and I do not think this is the case. Nonetheless, good luck everyone!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1067
Okay my 2 weeks passed LAST WEDNESDAY and I'm absolutely FREAKING OUT.

I know IR is extremely oversubscribed but I'd still like to get any update on my fate :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by meekayla
Okay my 2 weeks passed LAST WEDNESDAY and I'm absolutely FREAKING OUT.

I know IR is extremely oversubscribed but I'd still like to get any update on my fate :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's ok. The IR department have not updated any of us yet.
Only IR+History have, which is made up of the History department:

LSE
The joint honours BSc International Relations and History is offered by the Department of International History in conjunction with the Department of International Relations.
(edited 10 years ago)
Anyone here study management?
Original post by Nerdgirl1996
That is the "two week" email. Sometime during the two week period, they will either send you another email saying that your application is strong enough, or they'll give you an offer/rejection.

But i only received this email until now... Does that mean i will not receive an acknowledgement and a two week mail separately like other faculty students did...?
But i only received this email until now... Does that mean i will not receive an acknowledgement and a two week mail separately like other faculty students did...?

You may receive a delayed acknowledgment, as I did.
Original post by alice_zhao
I believe you first get the two week email, then the twelve week email, and if your application is deemed strong enough for consideration, you then receive the five week email. I think I speak for most of us when I say that we do not really know what exactly the five week email means, but it is very likely that it just means that the application technically meets the minimum requirements for admission and that you have a chance of receiving an offer. I suspect that it is only those applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements as judged by the "Admissions Assessor" who do not receive the five week email and instead receive a rejection. I hope this cleared some things up!

To others: If I were you I would not get my hopes up too much based on the five week email. It is very likely that it only means that you are eligible for being reviewed by the admissions officer(s) of the actual program you are applying to, based on a assessment by the "Admissions Assessor" as they call it. It is likely that those who do not receive the five weeks email are applicants who actually could have ruled out the possibility of admission before even applying--those who more or less "wasted" the application. I think some here take this five week email as some kind of sign of being shortlisted as a strong applicant, and I do not think this is the case. Nonetheless, good luck everyone!

Thanks however in the acknowledgement email that i received... it mentioned the decision on my application will be made within 12 weeks and it said they will be in touch with me in 2 weeks for my status. Also it was the first email i received. Seems like they hv comboned everything
Original post by gouratiltzen
You may receive a delayed acknowledgment, as I did.

But it also said it's an acknowledgement email... O man it sounds complicated... I hv acknowledgement 12 weeks decision and 2 weeks updates in the same email..:confused:
Reply 1074

I applied for management as well. What I got was an acknowledgement email saying that I'll receive a decision within 12 weeks and at the end of the email I was told that I would be contacted within 2 weeks to be updated about my application. I'm not sure which email this is either but it's the only one vie got and I applied 4 days ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1075
Original post by thinkthings
Yeah mate, no worries about the link : ) And yes, I definitely agree that statistics is not much to go off on and that there are so many contextual factors that statistics do not capture but I was just pointing that out for people like StudioBagel who are asking about their chances statistically speaking (as he did here).

No worries, I'm American so I don't know very much about the admissions process either. But yes, I am quite positive LSE will give out more offers per place for at least some, if not most subjects. They have to account for those students who put other institutions as their firm choice and LSE as their insurance choice or for those students who might not make the grade requirements that LSE has offered. I think what you said about the pooling system - I'm not very sure when it comes to LSE :s-smilie: All I know is that students have until May to decide whether or not to reject offers or put LSE as their insurance/firm so LSE can't just wait to see what students will do with their offers before sending out additional ones - they send them all out usually by early April.

From past threads, you can see discussions about it here or here, for instance. About 2.5 offers/place seems to be the unofficial consensus but that number has not been verified by LSE and as far as I'm aware, LSE hasn't published that figure (though I'm always on the lookout for it and LSE's acceptance rate...). Plus, I'm sure offers/place differs from subject to subject. Perhaps it depends on how popular that subject is, how competitive is, historical performance of students (e.g. if students usually fail to make the grades that LSE wants, LSE might offer more applicants per place) or other factors.

For Law, 18pc of applicants receive offers.
http://university.which.co.uk/london-school-of-economics-and-political-science-university-of-london-l72/law-3-years-8500-m100

Um, you are kind of seriously amazingly awesome. THANK YOU!

Here's what I got:

1). Acknowledgement: we've received your application etc. etc.
2). Two-week: checking over personal statement and qualifications
3). Five-week: application is strong enough to be further considered

As long as you got the two-week email, you're good. It means that they received your app and are in the process of checking it over. I don't really think it matters whether or not you relieved a separate acknowledgement email. Hope this helps :s-smilie:
Reply 1078
Original post by gouratiltzen
It's ok. The IR department have not updated any of us yet.
Only IR+History have, which is made up of the History department:

Ah okay. Thanks very much! I'm slowly losing my mind...
Original post by meekayla
Ah okay. Thanks very much! I'm slowly losing my mind...

I haven't received any news for IR either and my two-week date was also last Wednesday, although a friend of mine got her 5 week email on the 22nd of October :confused:

I really hope they let us know soon...I'm starting to really panic now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending