The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AngryJellyfish
I'm visiting friends at Aberystwyth next week, who happen to be the president and VP of the anime society there, and they've asked me for help finding short episode length anime series - aside from Senyuu, they've just been recycling the same few shows every year or two (Detroit Metal City, Gag Manga Biyori - both of which I originally screened in my year on committee :proud: - Cromartie High School and Astro Fighter Sunred), and want some new ideas.

I've got a few ideas of my own (Rec, Nyanpire, Di Gi Charat, Kimagure Robot etc), and am planning on trying a few others from recent seasons between now and my visit (starting with Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san), but if anyone has any other suggestions I'll look into them. :smile: For Aberanime purposes, a 'short' should usually be ~10 minutes per episode or shorter, and 13 episodes or less (though if the episodes are only 5 minutes long, they could show two per screening, allowing for up to 26 episodes etc).

The following series have been tried before, and were so unpopular they've effectively been blacklisted, due to the horror stories passed down from committee member to committee member (though I liked all the ones I saw). :p:

Legend of Duo
Tweeny Witches
Hetalia
Panda-Z
Chi's Sweet Home

Only anime epiodes I know that are less than 10 mins are Hetalia. =l
How did I forget Doujin Work? :zomg: That went down well enough in the 2008/09 schedule, and I'm sure they haven't shown it since. :beard:
Reply 5882
How did I forget Doujin Work? :zomg: That went down well enough in the 2008/09 schedule, and I'm sure they haven't shown it since. :beard:

Hmm, aside from what you've already mentioned and/or chosen, all of the Studio Rikka works such as Eve no Jikan and Mizu no Kotoba are worth showing. Aru Tabibito no Nikki and Chocolate Underground are a few others off the top of my head that were pretty good.
Original post by Aiko
Hmm, aside from what you've already mentioned and/or chosen, all of the Studio Rikka works such as Eve no Jikan and Mizu no Kotoba are worth showing. Aru Tabibito no Nikki and Chocolate Underground are a few others off the top of my head that were pretty good.

I love Eve no Jikan, but it was looked at a couple of years back, and I think they decided against it as a short due to the changeable episode length - the first episode is 15 minutes long, but they gradually get slightly longer after that, and the last episode is 27 minutes. :s: Suppose I could take it along, as it's a whole new committee now, and if they like it enough they could plan the rest of the semester's shows around it. :p: Alternatively, there's always the movie, if they feel it deserves a whole screening to itself. :beard: Mizu no Kotoba, I'd forgotten about, so thanks for the suggestion!

I have Aru Tabibito no Nikki, but for whatever reason the sub group decided to merge all the episodes together into one 16 minute file, and I lack the software/patience to split them all up again. :tongue: I suppose it could work as a single episode, but I'll have a look first to see if anyone else has released them separately.

I'd completely forgotten about Chocolate Underground - we were looking at shorts to show in my final year, and that came up as a possibility, but then I showed the rest of the committee DMC, and we didn't even bother checking out the others after that. :giggle: I'll see if I can find it again. I wonder if anyone in the society would recognise it as an adaptation of the novel/BBC children's series Bootleg?

I'd completely forgotten about Chocolate Underground - we were looking at shorts to show in my final year, and that came up as a possibility, but then I showed the rest of the committee DMC, and we didn't even bother checking out the others after that. :giggle: I'll see if I can find it again. I wonder if anyone in the society would recognise it as an adaptation of the novel/BBC children's series Bootleg?

Bloody hell Bootleg! I forgot about that BBC series that I watched years ago. It was pretty good actually :tongue:
Aoki's special move :awesome: only he could think up of something like that :rolleyes: and the other guy the 2nd time round :toofunny: :facepalm2:
Muromi-san was fantastic, I'll definitely take that along with me to Aber. :biggrin: I'll be trying Plastic Nee-san next, which seems pretty highly rated as far as shorts go.
Anyone thinking of going to Hyper Japan in the summer?

Hyper Japan Video Clip from last time. =)

[video="youtube;ajIu76baXHA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajIu76baXHA[/video]
(edited 10 years ago)
I'll be trying Plastic Nee-san next, which seems pretty highly rated as far as shorts go.

Didn't bother to check the torrent beforehand; as with a lot of shorts, it was released back to back as one file instead of as 12 separate short eps. :s: It'd probably be too ecchi to show anyway, unless Aberanime standards have dropped over the last 3 years. :p: I enjoyed it, though. :giggle:

Weiss Survive next...
(edited 10 years ago)
Guys, was thinking about picking up Hellsing, is it any good?
VN's coming onto steam :eek:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=191616515

Narcissu was one of the VN's on my list back when i was into them a few years back, might get back into them now :teeth:

Original post by Scienceisgood
Anyone thinking of going to Hyper Japan in the summer?

Hyper Japan Video Clip from last time. =)

[video="youtube;ajIu76baXHA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajIu76baXHA[/video]

ooh was thinking about going to it this summer but was busy, might go next year if im free :beard:
Original post by eugenius 8
VN's coming onto steam :eek:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=191616515

Narcissu was one of the VN's on my list back when i was into them a few years back, might get back into them now :teeth:

ooh was thinking about going to it this summer but was busy, might go next year if im free :beard:

Well, it would be an awesome way to spend my student loan. =D
Don't suppose you remember how much last year's ticket was do you? Ticket prices aren't up yet. =l
Original post by Scienceisgood
Well, it would be an awesome way to spend my student loan. =D
Don't suppose you remember how much last year's ticket was do you? Ticket prices aren't up yet. =l

:wink:

£12 for advance tickets or £15 at the door
Weiss Survive was terrible, but I'll take it along with the other shorts anyway. Depending on how many of the current Aberanime members are also card game players, they may find some entertainment value in it (though I spent most of the ~30 minutes of back to back short episodes cringing at the forced fanservice).

I'm a little more optimistic about Teekyuu, which is described by one reviewer on MAL as 'like some semi-toxic concoction of sugar, speed, and caffeine'. :awesome: There must be some reason why it's rated so low, however... we shall see. :beard:

So if it's a monthly we're looking at another 6 odd months?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by F_shakeey
So if it's a monthly we're looking at another 6 odd months?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who knows. I'm just glad that one of the greatest manga's isn't going to end unfinished (Hopefully).
Ok, when will Attack On Titan Chapter 51 be translated?! DX

It is online but I can't read Japanese! DX
Original post by Dilzo999
Who knows. I'm just glad that one of the greatest manga's isn't going to end unfinished (Hopefully).

That's true it's better than no news at all. I'm quite annoyed by the length of the hiatus though same with hunter x hunter. I think he got bored of or was getting braindead over berserk so needed a break and is doing a mini series to clear his mind anddo something different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Teekyuu was definitely my kind of short series. :biggrin: Think I'll go straight onto the second series before looking at other shorts, but I'll leave the currently airing third series for now, and marathon it when all the eps are out. :yes:

Latest