Oh lord, check out Saint Johns college!
Reply 1901
Original post by Mike_123
FOR ECONOMICS APPLICANTS TO CAMBRIDGE FOR 2014 ENTRY

Spoiler

International Economics applicant to King's here! :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1902
OMG THIS IS GREAT! I'VE FINALLY FOUND SOMEONE APPLYING FOR THE SAME COURSE AS ME AT KINGS! YAYYAYAY. LOL sorry. Hi Dente and Good luck!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TerribleTej
I thought Pembroke was quite a popular college, it seems decent though now as only 29 have applied, me being one of them :tongue:

There's 4 of us applying to Pembroke here, me, you, PierreIsNotMyName and someone else I can't remember, it'd be cool if we all met up :cool:
Reply 1904
So I just checked out the stats on that website.. Last year 90 people applied for an economics course at Kings. 10 offers were made and 7 people were accepted. I'm just going to go run to a corner and cry now..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1905
Original post by Ritikaaurora
So I just checked out the stats on that website.. Last year 90 people applied for an economics course at Kings. 10 offers were made and 7 people were accepted. I'm just going to go run to a corner and cry now..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice to meet you too! The competition at King's is insane :frown:

I've already had my interviews though so all the best for yours! (I don't think mine went all that well...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ritikaaurora
OMG THIS IS GREAT! I'VE FINALLY FOUND SOMEONE APPLYING FOR THE SAME COURSE AS ME AT KINGS! YAYYAYAY. LOL sorry. Hi Dente and Good luck!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm surprised at that. There's been some frequent posters on this thread all applying for Economics at King's. Me, Giant, Epic Flawless, Purplemind.

But where's the harm in 6. So thats 6/81 applicants, all from TSR. Not too bad.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
There's 4 of us applying to Pembroke here, me, you, PierreIsNotMyName and someone else I can't remember, it'd be cool if we all met up :cool:

that would be wicked, the amount of people applying to Pembroke is not that high and so hopefully we have a better chance than last year of getting in I hope. In fact this is the lowest since the last 5 years and its low by quite a bit. Maybe the admissions officers get angry by the amount of people applying to other colleges and so they give us offers instead :tongue:
Reply 1908
Original post by Millerman
Can someone please tell me the A levels i should be taking in order to get into land economy at cambrduge?

There is no perfect or right combination of subjects for Land Economy applicants and nothing in particular is meant to be essential. A mix of arts and sciences would probably stand you in good stead though. Subjects like Geography, Economics, Maths, History and Government & Politics would all be good!
Original post by esr33
There is no perfect or right combination of subjects for Land Economy applicants and nothing in particular is meant to be essential. A mix of arts and sciences would probably stand you in good stead though. Subjects like Geography, Economics, Maths, History and Government & Politics would all be good!

Im taking maths, further maths, history and economics. Are theses okay?
that would be wicked, the amount of people applying to Pembroke is not that high and so hopefully we have a better chance than last year of getting in I hope. In fact this is the lowest since the last 5 years and its low by quite a bit. Maybe the admissions officers get angry by the amount of people applying to other colleges and so they give us offers instead :tongue:

Im hoping this is good news, from the past years it looks like they don't take anyone out of the winter pool. Could change however given the lower number of applicants. Hoping that they've got into the habit of not taking anyone from the pool.

Their average % of offers seems to be 14.5% over the last 4 years.
If they followed that this year they would offer 4 places.

However I think its more likely they stick to their current numbers (in terms of students per year) which is about 5 or 6. This leaves us with 17% and 21% respectively.

Or you could disregard both of those points, as they probably will take only those who they feel are worthy of a place as opposed to filling places. Whether that be 4, 5 or 6 people.

EDIT: worth noting that a Pembroke applicant's % chance of getting an offer from any college including Pembroke is 18%
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by PierreIsNotMyName
Im hoping this is good news, from the past years it looks like they don't take anyone out of the winter pool. Could change however given the lower number of applicants. Hoping that they've got into the habit of not taking anyone from the pool.

Their average % of offers seems to be 14.5% over the last 4 years.
If they followed that this year they would offer 4 places.

However I think its more likely they stick to their current numbers (in terms of students per year) which is about 5 or 6. This leaves us with 17% and 21% respectively.

Or you could disregard both of those points, as they probably will take only those who they feel are worthy of a place as opposed to filling places. Whether that be 4, 5 or 6 people.

EDIT: worth noting that a Pembroke applicant's % chance of getting an offer from any college including Pembroke is 18%

Yeah I have a feeling that although the number of applicants have gone down significantly this year (the trend is usually throughout all colleges for economics), Cambridge might still give out higher offers especially if the quality of applicants have increased. However if we relate this to our years GCSE and As level results (which have both declined in our year) then the quality should be less too, however it could just be that the brighter students performed very well this year compared to previous years while the other students performed much worse than in previous years thus bringing the averages down. Either way one would mean less competition but also less spaces while the other would mean fewer but better quality of applicants in which case the number of places given out could just be similar (6-7) to previous years. Damn I like statistics :tongue:

Edit: Also if you have an average of 93% across your AS subjects then you will automatically get pooled.
(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah I have a feeling that although the number of applicants have gone down significantly this year (the trend is usually throughout all colleges for economics), Cambridge might still give out higher offers especially if the quality of applicants have increased. However if we relate this to our years GCSE and As level results (which have both declined in our year) then the quality should be less too, however it could just be that the brighter students performed very well this year compared to previous years while the other students performed much worse than in previous years thus bringing the averages down. Either way one would mean less competition but also less spaces while the other would mean fewer but better quality of applicants in which case the number of places given out could just be similar (6-7) to previous years. Damn I like statistics :tongue:

Well I guess we'll find out in January when they start sending those offers out. :question:
Just got an offer from Bristol. :smile: (AA in Mathematics and Economics - I already had an A* in Polish and apparently only need to get these 2).
Reply 1914
Original post by purplemind
Just got an offer from Bristol. :smile: (AA in Mathematics and Economics - I already had an A* in Polish and apparently only need to get these 2).

Hi when did you send off your UCAS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Smko
Hi when did you send off your UCAS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

8th October.

Hurray, I just got my first offer from Bristol! A*AA in Mathematics and Economics with AA in C3 and C4.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Epic Flawless
Hurray, I just got my first offer from Bristol! A*AA in Mathematics and Economics with 90 in C3 and C4.

Great. :smile: Mine just says AA in C3 and C4 so that wouldn't be too difficult to get.
Well, they also want 7.0 in IELTS (I hoped they would let me without it) but meh, it shouldn't be too difficult either.
Great. :smile: Mine just says AA in C3 and C4 so that wouldn't be too difficult to get.
Well, they also want 7.0 in IELTS (I hoped they would let me without it) but meh, it shouldn't be too difficult either.

Congrats on your offer too! Mine was actually AA in C3 and C4 too, I just read it wrong out of excitement. :tongue:
Reply 1919
Hey guys, I think I'm in Keith's situation :P I've applied to Oxford, LSE, UCL, Bath and Surrey and have got offers from the last two :smile: I'm predicted to get A*AA which I think is do-able, but I'm not too confident on Oxford :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending