Thanks (:

http://www.drfrostmaths.com/profile.php?user=JFrost&page=4

:wink:
Original post by qwertyuiopg
Hi,

where can I find these sheets??

Thanks (:

Here: http://www.drfrostmaths.com/profile.php?user=JFrost&page=4

Can someone help me with e) in the geometry sheet? http://www.drfrostmaths.com/resource.php?id=11224
Reply 902
Original post by jadoreétudier
Can someone help me with e) in the geometry sheet? http://www.drfrostmaths.com/resource.php?id=11224

top left area(curved triangle thing) = area of square - area of quarter circle
shaded = square - 2* top left area
Original post by sun_tzu
top left area(curved triangle thing) = area of square - area of quarter circle
shaded = square - 2* top left area

magic! :biggrin:
Reply 904
magic! :biggrin:

maths = magic
does that make us magicians? xD
Slightly weird question, but I was only curious: is anyone taking in anything other than basic stationary (pens/pencils/rubbers/rulers/sharpeners) into the exam?

I obviously don't mean any of the 'banned items', but things like compasses, protractors, etc. I haven't ever actually used them in past papers, but they could *perhaps* somehow come in handy, I guess... (sorry, my pre-exam paranoia has started to kick in :colondollar:)
Reply 906
Original post by bluebell_flames
Slightly weird question, but I was only curious: is anyone taking in anything other than basic stationary (pens/pencils/rubbers/rulers/sharpeners) into the exam?

I obviously don't mean any of the 'banned items', but things like compasses, protractors, etc. I haven't ever actually used them in past papers, but they could *perhaps* somehow come in handy, I guess... (sorry, my pre-exam paranoia has started to kick in :colondollar:)

i was literally going to just go in with 3 or 4 pens no pencils rubbers or even a ruler, ive never used a ruler in MAT and somehow i got an A* in A-Level :/
Original post by sun_tzu
maths = magic
does that make us magicians? xD

If we can prove that maths=magic. The definition of magic is 'the power of apparently influencing events by using mysterious or supernatural forces.' Ok, I think we're defo magicians!
I love Maths but I think the love will dwindle exponentially quickly as soon as it turns 11.30am tomorrow. -hint-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 909
in Q1 is it just 4 marks for the right answer so working out doesnt matter or are there method marks too?

also im stuck on this and dont understand the mark scheme any help would be appreciated, im sure i know how to do it just had a mental block.

In the region 0 < x  2π, the equation

x
0 sin(sin t) dt = 0 (integral)

has

(a) no solution; (b) one solution; (c) two solutions; (d) three solutions
Original post by cem101
i was literally going to just go in with 3 or 4 pens no pencils rubbers or even a ruler, ive never used a ruler in MAT and somehow i got an A* in A-Level :/

Hehe - I could never do that! I'm one of those weirdos who take in several rulers/rubbers into exams 'just in case they break/*something* happens to them' :tongue: (no - it has never actually happened to me or anyone I know, but you never know :biggrin:) Not even a pencil though?! :confused:
Original post by yl95
I love Maths but I think the love will dwindle exponentially quickly as soon as it turns 11.30am tomorrow. -hint-

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is exactly how I feel :frown:

Good luck for tomorrow :smile:
Reply 912
Hehe - I could never do that! I'm one of those weirdos who take in several rulers/rubbers into exams 'just in case they break/*something* happens to them' :tongue: (no - it has never actually happened to me or anyone I know, but you never know :biggrin:) Not even a pencil though?! :confused:

ye im really strange in exams, if i see something ill get the answer but if im stuck i find it hard to stop doing the same mistake so i just repeat mistakes which leads to lots of scribbling :biggrin:

Do you know how to do f) on that sheet????

thanks
Reply 914
good luck to everyone
Original post by cem101
ye im really strange in exams, if i see something ill get the answer but if im stuck i find it hard to stop doing the same mistake so i just repeat mistakes which leads to lots of scribbling :biggrin:

I'm a little bit like that too actually :smile: Which is why I've been doing all of my MAT papers in pencil, but apparently they'd rather we do it in pen... I did my first one using a pen today, and it was a horrific mess :frown: How are you feeling about tomorrow?

thanks

I'm not sure how to do it. I'm assuming it's an isosceles right angled triangle. Then I'm stumped
Reply 917
I'm a little bit like that too actually :smile: Which is why I've been doing all of my MAT papers in pencil, but apparently they'd rather we do it in pen... I did my first one using a pen today, and it was a horrific mess :frown: How are you feeling about tomorrow?

nervous, but tbh i dont mind if i dont pass so im much better knowing that theres no pressure, because im applying to imperial and not oxford, and imperial isnt my first choice, getting very very weird results in past papers, ranges from 50-75ish so i have no clue on how its going to go tomorrow but ive been doing the past papers quite casually, none where ive properly timed myself, but ive noticed i do it in maximum 2 hours. how about you? confident??
Reply 918
thanks

call the radius 1
draw a line from the centre of the circle to the bottom left corner
find the length of this line
find the length of the line that cuts the large triangle into 2
should be enough to give you the area of circle and triangle
(edited 10 years ago)

thanks

I'm not sure how to do it. I'm assuming it's an isosceles right angled triangle. Then I'm stumped

For e)

Note that this is essentially the area of a square take away 2x the difference between a square and circle (if this makes sense.

So find the area of the segment, double this and take away from the area of the square.

f) This requires a bit of pythag

Calculate the perpendicular bisector which grows through the centre of the circle and the origin. You can do this by noting that the radius' are each one so the hypotenuse is root 2. Add this to the other radious.

Now you have the perpendicular bisector note that you are then dealing 2 isoceles (right angled) triangles. From here it should be relatively basic to find the area of the total triangle using 1/2bh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending