The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Noble.
Don't worry, it's a bit of a myth (or grossly exaggerated) that Merton attracts the best applicants. If anything, it attracts the people who think they're the best applicants :lol:

Hehe - I hope you're right! I chose to apply because I loved the college when I visited - I had no idea at first of their reputation :frown:
I have finally felt the moment of realisation that the MAT is actually tomorrow morning and have suddenly got the worst case of butterflies :frown:-
someone say something encouraging please :smile:
this is a sincere request can someone please upload some model answers/answers they've done to Q5 from the all the papers 08-12 please
Reply 943
Original post by Noble.
Don't worry, it's a bit of a myth (or grossly exaggerated) that Merton attracts the best applicants. If anything, it attracts the people who think they're the best applicants :lol:

u wot m8

:biggrin:
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
The important thing is that we can read it. With pencil things can get smudged, or accidentally rubbed out, which is why there's a bit of a preference for pen. But we certainly aren't going to disregard your paper if you use a pencil. If pencil works better for you then use that. Hope that helps.

Oh, that's helpful. One more thing: will we get extra paper in case we run short of paper? I have the habit of using a lot of paper in a hurry, haha.
Original post by nahomyemane778
I have finally felt the moment of realisation that the MAT is actually tomorrow morning and have suddenly got the worst case of butterflies :frown:-
someone say something encouraging please :smile:

Personally, that made me feel a lot better:

Original post by IceKidd
i'm nervous too trust me. but the way i see it is we're only going to do good enough in the test to get an offer if we're good enough to do maths at oxford. and if im good enough then im good enough, if im not good enough then im not. got to accept that and just do our best tomorrow and see if thats good enough! (you cant do anymore than your best!)
Yay! Just got my first offer - good timing! :smile: (Warwick)
Original post by IceKidd
Would you be able to answer my question to gavinlowe please. And also, are the answer booklets photocopied and marked online like for alevels. Or since theres only about 1000 papers are the original copies marked

It's normally the original scripts that are marked. The scripts are marked by real life human beings. Think for a moment about the poor tired marker, wading through lots and lots and lots of papers. Having the answer to a question scattered around an answer paper isn't ideal. They aren't going to have the time to go hunting. But if you you've clearly labelled where you've continued with an answer, they'll look there. They are looking to give you credit for what you've done, not catch you out.

I know it's easy for me to say, but try to relax. Go and grab yourself a cuppa and then get a good nights sleep. Let your school/test centre worry about the mechanics of it all, and just concentrate, tomorrow, on doing your best. :-)
Reply 948
My main concern for tomorrow morning is indeed the time restriction. I can usually crack all the questions (1-5), but it sometimes takes me 3-4hours before I'm completely satisfied with my answers and explanations in a typical MAT paper. I was wondering if anyone else had this kind of worry as well; i just hope my brain doesn't succumb to crumbling under the pressure.

Also, does anyone know how the marks distributed for the questions. Is it 40 for question 1 and 15 each for Q's 2-4?

Good luck everyone, and if you're feeling nervous like me just remember that all you can do is your best.
Original post by L.Peachey
My main concern for tomorrow morning is indeed the time restriction. I can usually crack all the questions (1-5), but it sometimes takes me 3-4hours before I'm completely satisfied with my answers and explanations in a typical MAT paper. I was wondering if anyone else had this kind of worry as well; i just hope my brain doesn't succumb to crumbling under the pressure.

Also, does anyone know how the marks distributed for the questions. Is it 40 for question 1 and 15 each for Q's 2-4?

Good luck everyone, and if you're feeling nervous like me just remember that all you can do is your best.

The fact that you can 'crack all the questions' should mean that you'll be fine as long as you set out your working clearly. The mark distribution is indeed that.

Good luck to you too!
Reply 950
Original post by bluebell_flames

Cong!!When did you send your application?

snap
Reply 952
Anyone know if we get the results back?
And what score is a 'good' score? I'm applying to Imperial College so am required to sit this exam.
Original post by yxcai
Cong!!When did you send your application?

Thanks! I sent it on the 8th :smile:
Original post by nahomyemane778
snap

:smile:
Original post by JamezD
And what score is a 'good' score? I'm applying to Imperial College so am required to sit this exam.

No one really knows how well Imperial applicants will do, since Imperial have never used the MAT before. In terms of Oxford, the average across all candidates tends to be around 50, with the average for those being interviewed being roughly 60-65 and 70-75 for offer holders.
EDIT: You don't get your results back automatically. Oxford applicants can request them in January. I'm not sure whether Imperial applicants can request them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 954
Original post by JamezD

I've probably read that Oxford applicants are allowed to request feedback, and that includes test scores, after the decisions period ends. They usually respond in January, I believe. Idk about Imperial. For Oxford, average score of admitted students has been around 70 the last few years. Imperial wouldn't have drastically different stats, I suppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 955
Thanks! I sent it on the 8th :smile:

:smile:

No one really knows how well Imperial applicants will do, since Imperial have never used the MAT before. In terms of Oxford, the average across all candidates tends to be around 50, with the average for those being interviewed being roughly 60-65 and 70-75 for offer holders.
EDIT: You don't get your results back automatically. Oxford applicants can request them in January. I'm not sure whether Imperial applicants can request them.

I also applied to Warwick Math on the 8th。。。。。Nothing from them:frown:
Original post by yxcai

i predict your offer will be with you in the next 24-72hrs! :biggrin:
Original post by yxcai

I really wouldn't worry about it - I saw people on TSR who applied on the 8th who had offers a week before me. It might be something silly like the time at which your application was sent, etc. Don't worry - you're pretty much guaranteed an offer anyway :tongue:
Reply 958
Hehe - I hope you're right! I chose to apply because I loved the college when I visited - I had no idea at first of their reputation :frown:

I wasn't saying you applied because you think you're one of the best, in case you read it as me implying that. If you look at the Oxford statistics, Merton actually accepts ~13% from from other colleges, and there's plenty of colleges which accept less than 13% from other colleges (Brasenose, Magdalen, Worcester, Balliol, New, Lincoln and Trinity - to be specific). If Merton really was receiving a superior cohort of applicants you wouldn't expect this.
Reply 959
Original post by TheGoldenRatio
i predict your offer will be with you in the next 24-72hrs! :biggrin:

Thanks~Good luck on your MAT!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending