The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flickeringcandle
does anyone know around when they'll let us know if they want to see us for an interview? should I be looking out for one already or is it around january... just wondering :smile:

It can be any time between November and March, so it'll be a long wait for many. My experience was that med schools released a batch of invites every 4-6 weeks. You'll probably get only a couple of weeks notice if called. Good luck!
Reply 1021
knowing that the universities will be receiving ukcat scores this week is going to make waiting even more painfullllll
Original post by pkozman
knowing that the universities will be receiving ukcat scores this week is going to make waiting even more painfullllll

Even though we won't hear from the unis the week they'll get our UKCAT scores, I know that I'm going to check my emails between every class (I have school the day after tomorrow). It's going to be so stressful knowing that I have 4 exams to sit this week as well (including the BMAT)... :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
When do people normally get replies from their chosen universities for Medicine? Also, for my fifth choice I chose BSc Chemistry. Do you think that the university I applied to for Chemistry minds why I have chosen Chemistry as the 5th option, or does this put me at a disadvantage in any way (bearing in mind that I have also applied for Medicine to the same university)? Thanks.
Reply 1024
Original post by We, happy few!

Even though we won't hear from the unis the week they'll get our UKCAT scores, I know that I'm going to check my emails between every class (I have school the day after tomorrow). It's going to be so stressful knowing that I have 4 exams to sit this week as well (including the BMAT)... :redface:

Ahhh good luck with that! A part of me still regrets not taking the BMAT for Oxford, but I just didn't think the stress was worth the small shot I had of getting in.

Where are you applying?
Original post by pkozman
Ahhh good luck with that! A part of me still regrets not taking the BMAT for Oxford, but I just didn't think the stress was worth the small shot I had of getting in.

Where are you applying?

Thanks!

Aberdeen, Oxford, Imperial, Edinburgh.
(But I think I should've applied to UCL instead of Imperial. :frown: It'd be a miracle if I get offers from both Imperial and Oxford, knowing that they both have a BMAT cut-off. Well, at least, if my BMAT scores isn't high enough for Oxford, I'd have Imperial as a 'back-up' uni. :giggle: I know I shouldn't say that. :ninja:)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by We, happy few!
Thanks!

Aberdeen, Oxford, Imperial, Edinburgh.
(But I think I should've applied to UCL instead of Imperial. :frown: It'd be a miracle if I get offers from both Imperial and Oxford, knowing that they both have a BMAT cut-off. Well, at least, if my BMAT scores isn't high enough for Oxford, I'd have Imperial as a 'back-up' uni. :giggle: I know I shouldn't say that. :ninja:)

What at is the cut off point for Oxford?
Original post by imispaceman
What at is the cut off point for Oxford?

They don't have one, as they use GCSE's as well (i.e. great GCSE's means your BMAT doesn't have to be as good as someone with mediocre GCSE's). They seem to require higher BMAT scores than Imperial, UCL and even Cambridge though tbh. The mean percentage for successful applicants, which is calculated by:

5(S1 score minus 1) + 5(S2 score minus 1) + 2(content score in S3) + (grammar score in S3, where A=5, B= 4, etc),

was about 65% last year!!! So basically high 6's minimum!
Reply 1028
Original post by Muppet Science
Just thought I'd drop in and say good luck everyone.

I'm a first year at Cardiff so if any of you have any questions about Cardiff then give me a shout.

(BTW I also applied to Brighton, Cambridge and Southampton. Interviewed at Cambridge, Jesus College)

What type of questions did you get in the Cardiff interview last year? When was the interview? What do you think of the university? Thanks
Original post by a levels
What type of questions did you get in the Cardiff interview last year? When was the interview? What do you think of the university? Thanks

Hi,

Questions were almost purely on my personal statement so if you are called for interview then know your personal statement inside out. Additionally I was asked an ethical question on stem cells - all fairly standard. The interview is quite pleasant; it is essentially a formal chat.

My interview was in November.

The University is quite nice and you get a real mixture of clinical and academic work early on. For example I am only a sixth week student but I already know how to take blood pressure, had a session with actors on communicating to patients and have already had something like 8 sessions in dissection.

The course is new (C21 - if you get called to interview I would highly recommend knowing about it) and is a bit like PBL as in you get given cases and then all the teaching is around that case. So say, the case is that of a sore knee then all the anatomy will be on that area and you may look at inflammation etc.

Any more questions, feel free to shout :smile:
Original post by 123456789012
When do people normally get replies from their chosen universities for Medicine? Also, for my fifth choice I chose BSc Chemistry. Do you think that the university I applied to for Chemistry minds why I have chosen Chemistry as the 5th option, or does this put me at a disadvantage in any way (bearing in mind that I have also applied for Medicine to the same university)? Thanks.

A friend of mine got her back up of Chemistry quite quickly after applying for medicine as well - doesn't seem to be an issue for medics.
A friend of mine got her back up of Chemistry quite quickly after applying for medicine as well - doesn't seem to be an issue for medics.

Thanks for letting me know. Much appreciated. :smile:
Hi,

Questions were almost purely on my personal statement so if you are called for interview then know your personal statement inside out. Additionally I was asked an ethical question on stem cells - all fairly standard. The interview is quite pleasant; it is essentially a formal chat.

My interview was in November.

The University is quite nice and you get a real mixture of clinical and academic work early on. For example I am only a sixth week student but I already know how to take blood pressure, had a session with actors on communicating to patients and have already had something like 8 sessions in dissection.

The course is new (C21 - if you get called to interview I would highly recommend knowing about it) and is a bit like PBL as in you get given cases and then all the teaching is around that case. So say, the case is that of a sore knee then all the anatomy will be on that area and you may look at inflammation etc.

Any more questions, feel free to shout :smile:

Thank you for your wonderful answer! May I ask you when did you receive the notification of the interview? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fadytousa
Thank you for your wonderful answer! May I ask you when did you receive the notification of the interview? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries :smile: urm I think it was 10th November or around then.

Thank you! :smile: so kind from you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

U got an interview pretty early. What were your grades/stats, if u don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by (Assassin)
U got an interview pretty early. What were your grades/stats, if u don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

GCSEs: 8A*s, 2As and a B (also missed eight months of schooling during this time)

AS: 4As (Bio, Chem, Physics and History)

A2 predictions: 3A*s (dropped History) and A* for EPQ

UKCAT: 650 (I think)

Had volunteered for 6 months at time of interview. Work experience of a week with a GP and a few days with a maxilla-facial surgeon.
GCSEs: 8A*s, 2As and a B (also missed eight months of schooling during this time)

AS: 4As (Bio, Chem, Physics and History)

A2 predictions: 3A*s (dropped History) and A* for EPQ

UKCAT: 650 (I think)

Had volunteered for 6 months at time of interview. Work experience of a week with a GP and a few days with a maxilla-facial surgeon.

Pretty good stats! Thanks for sharing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1038
Hi can someone please help me out, ive changed my number from the one i submitted onto ucas. How will I tell ucas this? or do i just go on track and change it to my new number and that will automatically let the uni's know??
Original post by nana96
Hi can someone please help me out, ive changed my number from the one i submitted onto ucas. How will I tell ucas this? or do i just go on track and change it to my new number and that will automatically let the uni's know??

You can change it via track and your uni should be able to see it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending