The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Original post by bluebell_flames
I really wouldn't worry about it - I saw people on TSR who applied on the 8th who had offers a week before me. It might be something silly like the time at which your application was sent, etc. Don't worry - you're pretty much guaranteed an offer anyway :tongue:

Thanks~I hope so.
Reply 961
I don't know if I'm being completely stupid, but could someone help me on 1 D on the 2012 paper? Wouldn't the sides of the triangle be '1-c' not '1+c' :s-smilie:
Original post by IceKidd
Since others have said that what you meant is that the blank page after a question is to be used to answer the question on. Can u verify this please

Also, if this is in fact the case, if the question only takes up half the page. Can you use the second half of the page and the following blank page to answer the question?

Yes, answer on the following blank page. The bottom of the page containing the question is fine, too. If you want some more space, there are blank pages towards the end. But try to make it obvious what you've done, e.g. by writing "continued on page 13".
Reply 963
I'm applying to Imperial.

Is mine still marked by Oxford University or by Imperial College?
Original post by JamezD

I think Oxford writes it so must also mark it. But Imperial get to see your results
Original post by JamezD

We're going to have more than enough to keep us busy without marking Imperial's papers too! They will be making their own arrangements.
A pack of cards consists of 52 di erent cards. A malicious dealer changes one of the cards
for a second copy of another card in the pack and he then deals the cards to four players,
giving thirteen to each. The probability that one player has two identical cards is
(a) 3/13
(b) 12/51
(c) 1/4
(d) 13/51

I dont understand their solution either- can anyone help?
Reply 967
Original post by nahomyemane778
A pack of cards consists of 52 dierent cards. A malicious dealer changes one of the cards
for a second copy of another card in the pack and he then deals the cards to four players,
giving thirteen to each. The probability that one player has two identical cards is
(a) 3/13
(b) 12/51
(c) 1/4
(d) 13/51

I dont understand their solution either- can anyone help?

lets call the identical cards card A and card B
the cards are dealt, now let us look the player who holds card A. We want to know if he also holds card B. Now he holds 12 more cards out of a remaining 51 (not including the card we already know about)
therefore the chance of him holding that duplicate card is 12/51
Reply 968
Hey, could someone please explain how to solve Q2 (iv) in 2012 paper, thanks! Had no idea what to do

Link to paper: here
Link to Mark Scheme: here
@starlol

Original post by starlol
I don't know if I'm being completely stupid, but could someone help me on 1 D on the 2012 paper? Wouldn't the sides of the triangle be '1-c' not '1+c' :s-smilie:

-1 < c < 0 so the triangle has side length 1 + c which is like 1 - |c|
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 970
2012 q2 iv)
Why is the sum for the j value, not for k or i?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
We're going to have more than enough to keep us busy without marking Imperial's papers too! They will be making their own arrangements.

Sorry to bother you, but what will happen to the papers of those who applied to both Oxford and Imperial?
Reply 972
Original post by seohyun
2012 q2 iv)
Why is the sum for the j value, not for k or i?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

If I select a value for j then the value for i is preset for any given k. If we then sum for all the possibilities of k, we find the given solution.
Yay! Just got my first offer - good timing! :smile: (Warwick)

congrats! thats amazing :smile: im getting nervous about warwick now :/ what were ur predicted grades/gcse's?
Sorry to bother you, but what will happen to the papers of those who applied to both Oxford and Imperial?

The paper gets photocopied, and marked by both universities. (I'm not convinced this is sensible, but it's what is happening...)
Original post by gavinlowe
The paper gets photocopied, and marked by both universities. (I'm not convinced this is sensible, but it's what is happening...)

i can understand what your saying, what if oxford mark the paper and the student get 62 and imperial mark it and the student get 64 and 63 is the pass mark what happens?
Reply 976
Original post by TheGoldenRatio
i can understand what your saying, what if oxford mark the paper and the student get 62 and imperial mark it and the student get 64 and 63 is the pass mark what happens?

The MAT isn't like a normal exam where you get certificated, there's no such thing as a pass mark. The universities will individually decide what to do with the data of their own cohort.
Original post by TheGoldenRatio

Both unis will have different marking and a different cut off point if any. the admissions testing service will send papers to both unis, and from then onwards both can use the scripts as they wish
anyone know what 'sequences defined iteratively' (on the syllabus) means?
Reply 979
Original post by IWasAnEagle
anyone know what 'sequences defined iteratively' (on the syllabus) means?

You're given a starting value, say a0a_0, and a function an+1=f(an)a_{n+1} = f(a_n) for determining further values. A good example of this are Fibonacci numbers, as they're defined to be the sum of the previous two values.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending