The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The Official 2014 Medicine Interview Preparation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Secret.
I think that as they're still considered a minor the court could overrule the decision if there is risk of serious harm or death (Is this correct?), but I'm not too sure how that would work out to be honest, if the child is refusing, would he will be sedated and treated on? :confused:

I had another look and basically in Scotland if the child is competent and has capacity then they are allowed to refuse and the parents cannot override the decision.

In England it says that it is more complex and if child who has fully capacity and is competent refuses treatment within their best interests then the case can go to court.

Then I'm certain that if the teenager is 16 or over and competent/ has fully capacity then they can refuse treatment regardless of whether or not it is in their best interests.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CasualSoul
I had another look and basically in Scotland if the child is competent and has capacity then they are allowed to refuse and the parents cannot override the decision.

In England it says that it is more complex and if child who has fully capacity and is competent refuses treatment within their best interests then the case can go to court.

Then I'm certain that if the teenager is 16 or over and competent/ has fully capacity then they can refuse treatment regardless of whether or not it is in their best interests.

Correct but if the 16 or 17 year old refuses treatment and it's in their best interest( life changing) then the court can still override their decision because they are a young person, not an adult yet.
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
Correct but if the 16 or 17 year old refuses treatment and it's in their best interest( life changing) then the court can still override their decision because they are a young person, not an adult yet.

ohh I didn't know that :redface: Thanks :biggrin: and thenonce they are 18 even if the treatment is in their best interests/ life changing they are allowed to refuse it since they have the right to autonomy?
ohh I didn't know that :redface: Thanks :biggrin: and thenonce they are 18 even if the treatment is in their best interests/ life changing they are allowed to refuse it since they have the right to autonomy?

Yes correct :smile: but every patient regardless of age has autonomy :tongue:

Ta :gthumb:

Hi again:colone: loool

just wondering, do you know the answer to:

Currently do foreign students who come to the UK to study NOT have to pay to see a GP but if they want hospital treatment(e.g. operation) then they do?

Currently do foreign students who come to the UK to study NOT have to pay to see a GP but if they want hospital treatment(e.g. operation) then they do?

I would answer it but I'm not too sure..but I believe they are entitled to GP treatment as if they need a follow up or referral, then a GP is needed. They have to be enrolled on a course and have an address. :smile:
I would answer it but I'm not too sure..but I believe they are entitled to GP treatment as if they need a follow up or referral, then a GP is needed. They have to be enrolled on a course and have an address. :smile:

Oh okay:redface:
Oh okay:redface:

I'm not 100% sure...:hide:
I'm not 100% sure...:hide:

:rofl:

It does sound right but hopefully someone will confirm it :awesome:

I thought that if they can prove they are a full time student then it's free (both GP and hospital treatment)
This is certainly the case for EU students, I would want clarification for further afield though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by g.k.galloway
I thought that if they can prove they are a full time student then it's free (both GP and hospital treatment)
This is certainly the case for EU students, I would want clarification for further afield though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh right :yeah:

same *scratches head* lool.
Reply 492
Has anyone got any interviews yet? when should we be expecting to hear from the unis?
Original post by nana96
Has anyone got any interviews yet? when should we be expecting to hear from the unis?

For UKCAT unis they began to receive our scores this week, so maybe next week we should start hearing more :smile:
For Non UKCAT/BMAT unis some people have heard e.g. Birmingham
BMAT - obviously no news haha
Reply 494
For UKCAT unis they began to receive our scores this week, so maybe next week we should start hearing more :smile:
For Non UKCAT/BMAT unis some people have heard e.g. Birmingham
BMAT - obviously no news haha

ahh the wait is killing me haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nana96
ahh the wait is killing me haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same...

Where are you applying? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 496
Same...

Where are you applying? :smile:

UCL, Manchester, Kings and Barts wbu?
Original post by nana96
UCL, Manchester, Kings and Barts wbu?

Nice choices :smile:

Imperial, Newcastle, Leicester and HYMS
Hopefully we will hear something soon :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 498
Good Luck to all my fellow TSR friends who are doing the BMAT tomorrow!!!

:smile:
Original post by Priya_Biju
Good Luck to all my fellow TSR friends who are doing the BMAT tomorrow!!!

:smile:

I thought it was today :erm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending