The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8700
Original post by boumavilla
Damn right! :fuhrer:

As Britons so many people are too God darn lazy! :fuhrer:

Yeah, I know! It's also pretty rubbish that kids in other countries learn English from a really young age, and yet in Britain it's just 'oh, maybe give them a few years of very basic French when they start secondary school' :rolleyes:
Reply 8701
Also, a quick question or two for Mandarin speakers:

1) How do you ask and say your age in Mandarin? (e.g How old are you? I'm fifteen years old). I've had a look online but basically every resource says a different thing :eek:

and 2) How do you ask when someone's birthday is and say yours?

谢谢! :smile:
FOR THOSE TAKING THE AQA COURSE (OR ANY EXAM BOARD TBH) FOR SPANISH AS-LEVEL: I HAVE MADE A MEMRISE COURSE WITH ALL THE SPECIFIC VOCABULARY. MY USERNAME IS PEAS. :smile:
http://www.memrise.com/course/169708/as-spanish-aqa/

HERE'S THE LINK IF ANYONE'S INTERESTED
Original post by EmyJ14
Also, a quick question or two for Mandarin speakers:

1) How do you ask and say your age in Mandarin? (e.g How old are you? I'm fifteen years old). I've had a look online but basically every resource says a different thing :eek:

and 2) How do you ask when someone's birthday is and say yours?

谢谢! :smile:

1) Formal (acquaintances, older people- general politeness)-你多大了?
Informal (family, friends) 你几岁?
To say your age: (age) 岁, note you do not need a verb after the subject pronoun. (omit the 'am')

2)你的生日几月几号?
To say your birthday:我的生日是 (month) 月, (day)

hope that helps :smile:
Good news: after a solid week spent doing French, French is growing on me, and I don't hate it (as much) any more.

Bad news: my German is dreadful, and I keep inserting French words in. Also I can't decide whether it should be"jedoch ist London" or "jedoch London ist" now.
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Good news: after a solid week spent doing French, French is growing on me, and I don't hate it (as much) any more.

Bad news: my German is dreadful, and I keep inserting French words in. Also I can't decide whether it should be"jedoch ist London" or "jedoch London ist" now.

What's the rest of the sentence for the German one?

French is irritating me now because of the class, I'm not doing homeworks and it's just annoying.

Want to do something else I swear :colonhash:

Anyway, quand on commence le français, on l'aime toujours :biggrin:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
What's the rest of the sentence for the German one?

French is irritating me now because of the class, I'm not doing homeworks and it's just annoying.

Want to do something else I swear :colonhash:

Anyway, quand on commence le français, on l'aime toujours :biggrin:

I decided it's "ist London". I can't give uou rest of the sentence, in case my tutor runs it all through software, and does me for plagiarism or something.
Reply 8707
Original post by BuddingAchiever
1) Formal (acquaintances, older people- general politeness)-你多大了?
Informal (family, friends) 你几岁?
To say your age: (age) 岁, note you do not need a verb after the subject pronoun. (omit the 'am')

2)你的生日几月几号?
To say your birthday:我的生日是 (month) 月, (day)

hope that helps :smile:

Thank you very much :biggrin: That's very helpful!

Just another little question- where you're saying insert month, is that in numbers or January, February etc?

I decided it's "ist London". I can't give uou rest of the sentence, in case my tutor runs it all through software, and does me for plagiarism or something.

:woo: :woo: Gut gemacht!

Meanwhile, I've chickened out of GCSE German :tongue:
Original post by thatitootoo
:woo: :woo: Gut gemacht!

Meanwhile, I've chickened out of GCSE German :tongue:
oh, for god's sake- has it become a four-year plan now?

Aah, okay :tongue:
oh, for god's sake- has it become a four-year plan now?

Nooooooooo, that would be laecherlich!

I suggested to zee tutor that I just sit the external exams this summer...(this was after the A2 class I casually attended yesterday :wink:)

Looks like I will not have to suffer a proper speaking exam this year :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Nooooooooo, that would be laecherlich!

I suggested to zee tutor that I just sit the external exams this summer...(this was after the A2 class I casually attended yesterday :wink:)

Looks like I will not have to suffer a proper speaking exam this year :wink:

Um, how does that work, given the external exams are worth 20% each? I know you're on a maths strike at the moment, but surely you'll see the problem when you think about it...

:angry:
Um, how does that work, given the external exams are worth 20% each? I know you're on a maths strike at the moment, but surely you'll see the problem when you think about it...

:angry:

I'll just have documented evidence of my passive German understanding...It won't get cashed into a GCSE, I don't think :redface:
I'll just have documented evidence of my passive German understanding...It won't get cashed into a GCSE, I don't think :redface:
Speaking is one of your strongest skills...

Meanwhile I did a speaking exam yesterday, and I'm doing another tomorrow.
Speaking is one of your strongest skills...

Meanwhile I did a speaking exam yesterday, and I'm doing another tomorrow.

Well...I did perform the best in my AS class for a certain 'Fernsehen' speaking assessment we did last month :tongue: :wink:

Bonne Chance! French pronunciation just seems impossible pour moi, so many silent letters! But I'm sure you can master it like an Overlord :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by EmyJ14
Yeah, I know! It's also pretty rubbish that kids in other countries learn English from a really young age, and yet in Britain it's just 'oh, maybe give them a few years of very basic French when they start secondary school' :rolleyes:

:yep:

I think we should make learning intensive for atleast one language from a young age...
But which one would we pick? :beard:
Something traditional like French or German? :dontknow:
Or something more modern in preparation for the future? Like Chinese, Spanish or Russian?
Either way the whole country would need to stick to teaching the same language, then introduce another one or two later down the line?

I think we should make learning intensive for atleast one language from a young age...
Or something more modern in preparation for the future? Like Chinese, Spanish or Russian?
Either way the whole country would need to stick to teaching the same language, then introduce another one or two later down the line?

I say they teach whichever they can offer a high standard whether it be French, German, Spanish or Italian. Primary.

Secondary then introduces a language with a different alphabet and teach that. Along with all 4 of the other languages.

Then they choose if they want to further anything.
Original post by buddingachiever
for those taking the aqa course (or any exam board tbh) for spanish as-level: I have made a memrise course with all the specific vocabulary. My username is peas. :smile:
http://www.memrise.com/course/169708/as-spanish-aqa/

here's the link if anyone's interested

this will be really useful thank you but how does it work?
Reply 8719

That sounds like a good idea, but choosing it would be really hard... :holmes:

Original post by L'Evil Fish
I say they teach whichever they can offer a high standard whether it be French, German, Spanish or Italian. Primary.

Secondary then introduces a language with a different alphabet and teach that. Along with all 4 of the other languages.

Then they choose if they want to further anything.

Ja, actually, this is a very good plan. Although four/five languages might be too much for some people, maybe sticking with a minimum of two, one with this alphabet and one with a different alphabet? Then those who find it easier or want to do more can choose to do so?

Either way we need more languages.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending