The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey, does anyone know if i can get into medicine with 10as and a* in religious studies and a b in maths???????????? :/ im dead serious when i say i havent got a clue because ive always been told you need atleast 7a*s and when i wanted to aplly for this medicine placement thing it said u need atleast 3a*s but then i cant imagine every one who didnt get a*s in gcse being rejected sooo .... please answer as i really want to know!!!!! Or tell me of your experience or of a friend and maybe what they got? Thankyou!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone ANYONE know the general gcse requirements for medicine!!!!!????? And maybe Alevel?? (Looking on the uni websites is wierd)
Original post by smallbridge22
Does anyone ANYONE know the general gcse requirements for medicine!!!!!????? And maybe Alevel?? (Looking on the uni websites is wierd)

There aren't 'general' requirements. How are your GCSE?

AAA is the standard A-level offer for all med schools bar Birmingham and Cambridge.
Hey, does anyone know if i can get into medicine with 10as and a* in religious studies and a b in maths???????????? :/ im dead serious when i say i havent got a clue because ive always been told you need atleast 7a*s and when i wanted to aplly for this medicine placement thing it said u need atleast 3a*s but then i cant imagine every one who didnt get a*s in gcse being rejected sooo .... please answer as i really want to know!!!!! Or tell me of your experience or of a friend and maybe what they got? Thankyou!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just saw this for some reason :rolleyes: your GCSEs are good! You've passed everything and you've got a large amount of A*/A grades. There are a few unis off limits to you now, but the vast majority of med schools would be happy with those.
(edited 10 years ago)

As Bob (I know he says his name isn't that, but still :tongue:) said above, yours are fine. Take a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medical_school_gcse_requirements

A-Level requirements: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

And this may also come in useful: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

:smile:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
But surely they'd learn to learn with people before the split which I'd put into place around year 9.

And that's if they choose to go there, it isn't compulsory.

Either way, languages would be my priority.

This is where many governments fail; they implement things which they say "will surely work," based on "common sense" (which is a bull**** term :tongue:), only to have their plans not go the way they thought they would.
(edited 10 years ago)
But surely they'd learn to learn with people before the split which I'd put into place around year 9.

And that's if they choose to go there, it isn't compulsory.

Either way, languages would be my priority.

Not necessarily, though putting it in place around year 9 would be a slight improvement. And I'm against that kind of streaming, regardless of whether or not it was by choice. But yes, I agree that languages are really important, and everyone should at least have the option of learning one from an early age.
Thankyou so much!:yy::yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MangoFreak
This is where many governments fail; they implement things which they say "will surely work," based on "common sense" (which is a bull**** term :tongue:), only to have their plans not go the way they thought they would.

Either way, languages :colone:

Original post by Georgiecat
Not necessarily, though putting it in place around year 9 would be a slight improvement. And I'm against that kind of streaming, regardless of whether or not it was by choice. But yes, I agree that languages are really important, and everyone should at least have the option of learning one from an early age.

I wish I attended a Welsh Medium and was taught English and French and my home foreign language. Then picked up Spanish and German. Then learnt Italian :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the 7A*s figure comes from the commonly-quoted statistic that average successful Oxford medicine applicant has 6-7 A*s at GCSE. Though your GCSE grades are really good by normal standards, they'd be a bit low for medicine, as most unis look for 50% A*s and above at GCSE, with A*s in maths and the sciences. This does mean you might struggle to get into a medicine course, especially at Oxbridge or other high-ranking unis. However, don't panic - all hope is not lost! Almost any university would be willing to consider you if you showed a significant improvement from GCSE to A-level, so if you get AAAA (with high UMSs) at the end of this year, you wouldn't be in a bad place to apply to medicine at all, especially if you got some work experience under your belt (which it sounds like you're trying to do at the moment). Be aware, however, that although the standard medicine offer is AAA, universities might give you a slightly higher offer next year because of your GCSE grades.
Also, I highly recommend looking at uni websites - they're really useful for finding out answers to the questions you're asking.
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Just saw this for some reason :rolleyes: your GCSEs are good! You've passed everything and you've got a large amount of A*/A grades. There are a few unis off limits to you now, but the vast majority of med schools would be happy with those.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks this 8s great to know as i really want to get into med but feel like ive sort failed phase 1 of it- the gcses, so i felt theres no need to try haha but yeah i guess i'll try harder for alevels now, but thanks!!
Either way, languages :colone:

I wish I attended a Welsh Medium and was taught English and French and my home foreign language. Then picked up Spanish and German. Then learnt Italian :sigh:

You'd be very busy if you did all that :P Mind you, being that multilingual would be cool...
I think the 7A*s figure comes from the commonly-quoted statistic that average successful Oxford medicine applicant has 6-7 A*s at GCSE. Though your GCSE grades are really good by normal standards, they'd be a bit low for medicine, as most unis look for 50% A*s and above at GCSE, with A*s in maths and the sciences. This does mean you might struggle to get into a medicine course, especially at Oxbridge or other high-ranking unis. However, don't panic - all hope is not lost! Almost any university would be willing to consider you if you showed a significant improvement from GCSE to A-level, so if you get AAAA (with high UMSs) at the end of this year, you wouldn't be in a bad place to apply to medicine at all, especially if you got some work experience under your belt (which it sounds like you're trying to do at the moment). Be aware, however, that although the standard medicine offer is AAA, universities might give you a slightly higher offer next year because of your GCSE grades.
Also, I highly recommend looking at uni websites - they're really useful for finding out answers to the questions you're asking.

Well that's not true by any stretch of the imagination. Different med schools value and use GCSEs differently, like Leeds will ignore your GCSEs if you get 3 As at AS, so by no means does that mean that you need 50% A* (unless you're applying for Oxford, where you'd need around 90%)

My GCSEs were really standard but I made up for it at AS getting 4 As. Remember people mature later than others, so getting average GCSEs does not mean you can't get the AAA at A-level

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks this 8s great to know as i really want to get into med but feel like ive sort failed phase 1 of it- the gcses, so i felt theres no need to try haha but yeah i guess i'll try harder for alevels now, but thanks!!

No problem, but you haven't failed at all! Give AS' your best and get the grades you deserve
Original post by usycool1
As Bob (I know he says his name isn't that, but still :tongue:)

Is it not? Oh :redface:
I have official mocks :rofl:

Well knowing my school I thought they'd thrust them upon us. In year 11 we had two weeks of intense mocks in January and then we had an official results day (where everyone cried). But I asked my physics teacher if we were doing the same in January with all the January exams we would have taken if there were still modules and she said she really had no idea but she expected so... Considering how AS levels are more important than GCSEs and our GCSE mocks were in the hall under exam conditions, I don't see how they can justify AS mocks being a past paper in a classroom!!
Original post by Glitch96
No, just, just no.

(ignore me, I didn't get anything so I want everyone to suffer :tongue: what are you getting?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha! It's quite a long night, certificates given to everyone. :rolleyes: I'm getting awards for my results, top results in year, best in subject, best in subject at NI and some other award from my year tutor. :lol:
Well that's not true by any stretch of the imagination. Different med schools value and use GCSEs differently, like Leeds will ignore your GCSEs if you get 3 As at AS, so by no means does that mean that you need 50% A* (unless you're applying for Oxford, where you'd need around 90%)
My GCSEs were really standard but I made up for it at AS getting 4 As. Remember people mature later than others, so getting average GCSEs does not mean you can't get the AAA at A-level
No problem, but you haven't failed at all! Give AS' your best and get the grades you deserve

I agree with everything you've said except the first sentence. Though it's true that some med schools don't really look at GCSE grades, generally speaking most med schools will look for 50% A*s or thereabouts, unless your ASs and work experience make up for it (as I said in the rest of my post). It'spossible to get into medicine with under 50% A*s, but most unis will expect you to have mainly A*s at GCSE, though there are exceptions.
You'd be very busy if you did all that :P Mind you, being that multilingual would be cool...

I'm doing them now! Just wish I had them done before.

Original post by Pabblethefish
Well knowing my school I thought they'd thrust them upon us. In year 11 we had two weeks of intense mocks in January and then we had an official results day (where everyone cried). But I asked my physics teacher if we were doing the same in January with all the January exams we would have taken if there were still modules and she said she really had no idea but she expected so... Considering how AS levels are more important than GCSEs and our GCSE mocks were in the hall under exam conditions, I don't see how they can justify AS mocks being a past paper in a classroom!!

:lol: that's funny though :mmm: a results day, I don't mind tbh. Confident with all subjects so far.
I agree with everything you've said except the first sentence. Though it's true that some med schools don't really look at GCSE grades, generally speaking most med schools will look for 50% A*s or thereabouts, unless your ASs and work experience make up for it (as I said in the rest of my post). It'spossible to get into medicine with under 50% A*s, but most unis will expect you to have mainly A*s at GCSE, though there are exceptions.

Out of interest, which unis expect 50% A*s?

I applied for Medicine this year, and can assure you that that's not true. As long as you meet the unis minimum academic requirements, them there's no reason why you won't be considered
Out of interest, which unis expect 50% A*s?

I applied for Medicine this year, and can assure you that that's not true. As long as you meet the unis minimum academic requirements, them there's no reason why you won't be considered

Oxford no one got offers below 60% GCSEs :eek: that's crazy, and stupid because they don't account the raw numbers, although they're starting to.

Latest