The Student Room Group

AQA Religious Studies: RSS01 Religion and Ethics

Hello.

Got my online Religious Studies pack today and I was wondering which books/websites are best suited to this Unit?

Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hey.
Anyone else working on Utilitarianism and Situation ethics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I sat this unit last year and found that this textbook was far more helpful than the official AQA one :smile:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Religious-Ethics-AS-A2/dp/0415549337/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383661793&sr=8-1&keywords=aqa+religious+ethics

I studied Human Life and Abortion/Euthanasia though sorry!
Original post by Onoderas
I sat this unit last year and found that this textbook was far more helpful than the official AQA one :smile:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Religious-Ethics-AS-A2/dp/0415549337/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383661793&sr=8-1&keywords=aqa+religious+ethics

I studied Human Life and Abortion/Euthanasia though sorry!

Hi

Thanks - bit expensive mind. Why did you find it more useful than AQA? I'm also covering Abortion and Euthanasia.
Reply 4
Original post by figuresk8rstudent
Hi

Thanks - bit expensive mind. Why did you find it more useful than AQA? I'm also covering Abortion and Euthanasia.

I found the official AQA book to be extremely lacking in any kind of detail. It only lists the basics of the course and doesn't even cover some aspects (there's about two sentences on legislation issues!). It could be different for Situation Ethics/Utilitarianism but Human Life and Abortion were lacking in detail pretty bad.

This book however laid out every point in the specification pretty well with interesting quotes/points that will lead to better marks :smile:. The course in general kind of requires a bit of further research for higher grades but I have all my AS ethics essays which were mostly high A's if they're ever any use to you!
I found the official AQA book to be extremely lacking in any kind of detail. It only lists the basics of the course and doesn't even cover some aspects (there's about two sentences on legislation issues!). It could be different for Situation Ethics/Utilitarianism but Human Life and Abortion were lacking in detail pretty bad.

This book however laid out every point in the specification pretty well with interesting quotes/points that will lead to better marks :smile:. The course in general kind of requires a bit of further research for higher grades but I have all my AS ethics essays which were mostly high A's if they're ever any use to you!

That is so kind of you to offer! PM me for my email address.
Recently done Situation Ethics - the jist I get from my study folder is love conquers all! Very subjective and is more open to abuse than Utilitarianism. Antinomianism is a joke!
I find the AQA book heavily condensed in such a high level language - I know I know it is advanced level work here - but if this other book reads as if it is talking to you at a middle level then I'm interested!
Reply 6
Recently done Situation Ethics - the jist I get from my study folder is love conquers all! Very subjective and is more open to abuse than Utilitarianism. Antinomianism is a joke!
I find the AQA book heavily condensed in such a high level language - I know I know it is advanced level work here - but if this other book reads as if it is talking to you at a middle level then I'm interested!

I shall PM you now! I didn't study SE but have read into it as I love the theory but your summary is spot on! Fletcher just makes the entire system relative and in a sense, puts down less considerations than either Mill or Bentham ever did in Utilitarianism. The AQA book really does go way too high-level, it was like that for the Philosophy AS level so I heard. The other one really does manage to make it much more easy to grasp, it's explanation of Virtue Ethics for A2 is amazing compared to the AQA book!

I'll send a picture of a section on utilitarianism too to see if you like the style of the book :smile:
Reply 7

I did utilitarianism and situation ethics in the exam at the beginning of the year and got 96/100, so if you need any help I'm here. :smile:
It's important to note that Bentham's utilitarianism is very open to abuse - most notably with the whole 'corrupt majority' concept. Mill's utilitarianism helped to identify these flaws though.

I found that the AQA book was good for picking out certain facts and quotes from and reinforcing what was taught in lessons. It is written at a high level, but you have to remember this is A Level and not GCSE - the content is meant to be noticeably more advanced. If you can learn some of the more advanced stuff, you will be doing yourself a big favour.
Reply 8
hi guys, i am registering for my RS exams. I am doing RSS01 and RSS09 for AS and RST3G for A2, but am stuck on unit 4 (aqa) - does anyone know how unit 4 works, or which modules are good/interesting/less difficult?
Thanks!
Reply 9
Original post by _splinter_
hi guys, i am registering for my RS exams. I am doing RSS01 and RSS09 for AS and RST3G for A2, but am stuck on unit 4 (aqa) - does anyone know how unit 4 works, or which modules are good/interesting/less difficult?
Thanks!
i think i get it now, so ignore me if you like. i am going to do ways of moral decision-making and if i understand correctly i apply that to the topic of my choice (which will be medical research and developments) and if i understand rightly for unit 4 i just write on eessay question for the exam.
Reply 10
Hi! I'm retaking my situation ethics and utilitarianism exam! I am always doing religious experience a2 exam in summer. I am already revising like 30 hours not including lessons! Any advice on books to read or things to help me pass would be great!!:smile: x
Reply 11

Hi,
Sorry to post on an old thread but I was wondering whether you still had access to your AS ethics essays :colondollar:? I'm a self taught student aiming for an A grade so it would be fantastic to have an example to see what kind of standard I need to be aiming for :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by jzola
Hi,
Sorry to post on an old thread but I was wondering whether you still had access to your AS ethics essays :colondollar:? I'm a self taught student aiming for an A grade so it would be fantastic to have an example to see what kind of standard I need to be aiming for :smile:

Sorry for the late reply but I have them saved still! I have essays on The Cosmological Argument, Atheism and Postmodernism, I think I have some on Religious Experience for Philosophy and for Ethics I have Nature and Value of Human Life and Abortion and Euthanasia essays! Which topics do you do? I hope your studying is going well :smile:
Sorry for the late reply but I have them saved still! I have essays on The Cosmological Argument, Atheism and Postmodernism, I think I have some on Religious Experience for Philosophy and for Ethics I have Nature and Value of Human Life and Abortion and Euthanasia essays! Which topics do you do? I hope your studying is going well :smile:

Hey stranger how's you?
I hope all is well. Nearly time to start revision. Just need to finish Eschatology :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

Ahh thank you- I'm so glad you still have them! I'm doing The Cosmology Argument, Psychology of Religion, Nature and Value of Human Life and Abortion and Euthanasia so three out of four is quite lucky! Thank you, I hope so too :L
Original post by jzola
Ahh thank you- I'm so glad you still have them! I'm doing The Cosmology Argument, Psychology of Religion, Nature and Value of Human Life and Abortion and Euthanasia so three out of four is quite lucky! Thank you, I hope so too :L

I'm studying those topics too :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I'm studying those topics too :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have good taste in topics! You might find these a help if you haven't already found them online :smile:

http://www.edmonton.enfield.sch.uk/documents/departments/rs/1304678656Philosophy%20Candidate%201.pdf
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2060-W-TRB-U01RSS01-CEXWJUN09CB.PDF
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2060-W-TRB-U01RSS03-CEXWJUN09CB.PDF (This one is an example of what not to do which is always helpful)!
Reply 18
Here you go! :smile:

Thank you so much!
Reply 19
Hi there,
The AQA textbooks for this subject are a good starting point, but they only really offer enough depth for a C grade. You need to do extra reading in order to reach the highest grades.
I recommend looking at Vardy books - 'The Puzzle of Ethics', for example
Bowie books, such as 'Ethical Studies'. Some Ahluwalia books are good.
'An introduction to the philosophy of religion', by Brian Davies.

And of course, you could try reading original works, as opposed to text books, which will give your essays a deeper, reflective quality. For example, Hartshorne's 'Omnipotence and other theological mistakes' is good for modules on the qualities of God and miracles, and offers ethical points about abortion, and such.

Ask your teachers what books they recommend - they should surely have many you can use for your revision. Of course, different books are great for different topics - so shop around!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending