The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College Medicine applicants 2014 entry

Scroll to see replies

Apparently a friend of a friend has an offer. Yes, an offer. From kings. For medicine. :mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 301
Original post by Flobie
Apparently a friend of a friend has an offer. Yes, an offer. From kings. For medicine. :mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile

how come?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 302
Original post by Flobie

Posted from TSR Mobile

An offer? I didn't think that interviews had taken place yet. Could you ask for more details?
Original post by Flobie

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't think they gave any offers for medicine without interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by sambe
An offer? I didn't think that interviews had taken place yet. Could you ask for more details?

Original post by itsmagic
I didn't think they gave any offers for medicine without interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically, a fellow future medic in my biology class knows her. As far as I know, her dad is a doctor, who sometimes teaches at kings. Now she has an offer from kings without an interview. Not sure how much the dad is influencing this.. :hmpf:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 305
I'm so happy I didn't do that BMAT. :')
Reply 306
Does anyone know when the interview dates for the GEP and standard entry are?

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi , I've applied to Kings for Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
UKCAT :708 AND BAND 1
ALEVELS: 2A Chemistry and Maths 2B Biology and Economics
gcse: 4a* 7A 1B

Am I likely to get an interview and does it mean anything if I alrealdy have an offer from Kings' For Biomed
Reply 308
Original post by Nasirdeen96
Hi , I've applied to Kings for Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
UKCAT :708 AND BAND 1
ALEVELS: 2A Chemistry and Maths 2B Biology and Economics
gcse: 4a* 7A 1B

Am I likely to get an interview and does it mean anything if I alrealdy have an offer from Kings' For Biomed

I remember somebody posting about how they applied to one university for two courses, similar to your position. And they where not even properly considered for the Medical course and when he called them up they said they already offered him a place for Biomed.. Not sure how Kings stand on multiple choices for the same Uni. Hopefully they don't just see it as somebody wasting their time
Reply 309
Is it possible to transfer to medicine if you're in Kings for Biomedical in your first year?? Does anyone know this?
Original post by Loiks94
I remember somebody posting about how they applied to one university for two courses, similar to your position. And they where not even properly considered for the Medical course and when he called them up they said they already offered him a place for Biomed.. Not sure how Kings stand on multiple choices for the same Uni. Hopefully they don't just see it as somebody wasting their time

i applied for medicine and biochemistry, and I asked them beforehand and they said that it will not hurt your chances for medicine if you apply to a 5th choice at Kings too
Reply 311
Original post by Nina8
Is it possible to transfer to medicine if you're in Kings for Biomedical in your first year?? Does anyone know this?

No it's not possible. I know because I'm currently a 3rd year biomed at king's.

However, I will say that it is possible to apply for medicine whilst in your first year. I had quite a few friends who did this, one got into Queen Mary. For this you need to make sure you got at least all As. Though this was 2 years ago and I have heard that many unis don't like people applying whilst they've just started a degree.
Reply 312
Original post by Flobie
Basically, a fellow future medic in my biology class knows her. As far as I know, her dad is a doctor, who sometimes teaches at kings. Now she has an offer from kings without an interview. Not sure how much the dad is influencing this.. :hmpf:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If that is true that is seriously unfair, but then again this isn't the first time I've heard of something like this. For example, my mum has a cousin who is a doctor and whose husband is also a doctor. Their daughter was applying for medicine the same time as me. She ended up getting ABB but still got into Barts for med. My mum was saying she heard that her dad knew a few of the people at Barts and may have influenced this decision.

It's annoying that there are many of us who work exceptionally hard when applying for medicine and some of us do not have the luxury of having parents who actually went to university, let alone trained as doctors. I thought this type of behavior was confined to countries outside of the UK but I guess it's a phenomenon which can happen anywhere.
Original post by AnJuM218
If that is true that is seriously unfair, but then again this isn't the first time I've heard of something like this. For example, my mum has a cousin who is a doctor and whose husband is also a doctor. Their daughter was applying for medicine the same time as me. She ended up getting ABB but still got into Barts for med. My mum was saying she heard that her dad knew a few of the people at Barts and may have influenced this decision.

It's annoying that there are many of us who work exceptionally hard when applying for medicine and some of us do not have the luxury of having parents who actually went to university, let alone trained as doctors. I thought this type of behavior was confined to countries outside of the UK but I guess it's a phenomenon which can happen anywhere.

Actually nepotism has been a very big part of the UK university system for a long time, there was once a time when colleges in Oxbridge could offer you ABB (days when that was extreme) or CC and £500k donation to the college by the father.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats really annoying.. I hope what my friend told me isn't true, if it is then I agree with you, it's unfair. I've had to work through some, shall we say, "extenuating circumstances" in both yr11 and earlier this year, and carried on despite them, so for that to happen just really annoys me, seeing as it's been such hard work for all of us. I mean the girl apparently had good stats, 10 a*s GCSE, aaaa as grades and 740 ukcat, but still, they interview for a reason, and all applicants should have equal chances.

Luckily it is being stamped out but you do here there odd tail here and there of people getting in on dodgy grades because someone was known etc etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 316
Original post by callummj6747
Great, I'd imagine they take time to process as well, may not even be till next week!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or maybeeee........ they were sent today :unimpressed:
Original post by Hugby1
Or maybeeee........ they were sent today :unimpressed:

Tbh until people start having interview emails sent we haven't a clue really, they may decide to start in february!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by callummj6747
Tbh until people start having interview emails sent we haven't a clue really, they may decide to start in february!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh goodness I hope that's not true!! The waiting will most likely drive me nuts.
Original post by Flobie

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it's true, it's disgusting behaviour by both the medical school admissions team and her father (but she could just be bull****ting). On the other hand, even if this is real, no one will be able to carry her through medical school or her medical training. There's a reason why candidates are interviewed, which is to judge how suitable they'll be not just academically, but in the long run, handling a medical career. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest