The Student Room Group

Applying to Cambridge University, post Alevels and Gap years

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD315
Not sure yet. My exam board (CCEA) doesn't offer it, so I'd have to see about how I'd get it under MEI or somewhere.

Good luck. Let us know on this thread if you get an interview!
Reply 81
Original post by keromedic
Good luck. Let us know on this thread if you get an interview!

Will do, cheers! I'm confident I'll get one, just waiting on the invite :biggrin:
Reply 82
Ive only just seen this thread, and its making me so nervous about getting an interview. I thought my A*A*AA grades would at least get me an interview for phynatsci, considering one of the A's is two UMS off an A*! After reading this, Im not so sure :/
Original post by LilyCat
Ive only just seen this thread, and its making me so nervous about getting an interview. I thought my A*A*AA grades would at least get me an interview for phynatsci, considering one of the A's is two UMS off an A*! After reading this, Im not so sure :/

I have exactly the same grades (seven UMS off an A* in one of my As too) and an admissions tutor said to me that he couldn't see why they wouldn't interview. Admittedly it's for English though and I think arts requirements may differ slightly, and it hasn't stopped me from being really nervous too.
Reply 84
Original post by SixteenHundred
I have exactly the same grades (seven UMS off an A* in one of my As too) and an admissions tutor said to me that he couldn't see why they wouldn't interview. Admittedly it's for English though and I think arts requirements may differ slightly, and it hasn't stopped me from being really nervous too.

Well, I asked an admissions tutor whether it would be worth retaking the module and he said it wouldnt be worth it as the close A wouldnt disadvantage my application. Its just after seeing this thread, Im not so sure anymore :frown:
Reply 85
Original post by LilyCat
Well, I asked an admissions tutor whether it would be worth retaking the module and he said it wouldnt be worth it as the close A wouldnt disadvantage my application. Its just after seeing this thread, Im not so sure anymore :frown:

He might also have said that the retake would not have affected the "UMS average" as it is the first year's result which counts. I think it almost certain you will get an interview unless your Science UMS is less than 85. If you have 2A* presumably it is high 80s low 90s? Whilst the average NatSci offer holder gets 3A* there are plenty admitted with only 2.
Reply 86
Original post by Colmans
He might also have said that the retake would not have affected the "UMS average" as it is the first year's result which counts. I think it almost certain you will get an interview unless your Science UMS is less than 85. If you have 2A* presumably it is high 80s low 90s? Whilst the average NatSci offer holder gets 3A* there are plenty admitted with only 2.

Well, the module that prevented me getting an A* was an A2 module, so my A is actually 90.2% UMS, and my total UMS average is 95%, so would they just concentrate on the UMS which could be the same as someone who has 3 A*s or will they penalise the fact that the lower module is an A2 one? I've heard they look for improvement, in my case it's a slight downturn for that module :colondollar:
Original post by LilyCat
Well, the module that prevented me getting an A* was an A2 module, so my A is actually 90.2% UMS, and my total UMS average is 95%, so would they just concentrate on the UMS which could be the same as someone who has 3 A*s or will they penalise the fact that the lower module is an A2 one? I've heard they look for improvement, in my case it's a slight downturn for that module :colondollar:

If that's your overall A-level average (which I think we concluded is what they use rather than just A2 average) then I can't see why that wouldn't be good enough for an interview. If it's only a slight decrease then that's not showing serious inconsistency from AS to A2 which would be more of an issue I think. They do use 3 A*s as the autopool criteria for post-A applicants rather than UMS, but I think you have assume that because they asked for your UMS they will take it into consideration. At the end of the day trying to second guess them isn't going to go anywhere and you just have to wait out these next 2 weeks! (And be assured you're not the only one in this position!)
ughhhhh why can't it be january already :bawling: not knowing is the worst :tongue:
Reply 89
Sent off my written work today! Express Delivery. If there's a problem, that's not good. Cutting it fine here.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP
Original post by PatrickB
Sent off my written work today! Express Delivery. If there's a problem, that's not good. Cutting it fine here.

When's your deadline for it? I don't have to send written work til I'm notified as to whether I've got an interview. Hurry up Cambridge! :redface:
Reply 91
Original post by SixteenHundred
When's your deadline for it? I don't have to send written work til I'm notified as to whether I've got an interview. Hurry up Cambridge! :redface:

Really? Must differ from College to college because King's is tomorrow! Ha!

Well I'm in yr 13 atm and like someone else on the thread mentioned, Cambridge said that there'd be no point retaking the module that I didn't do well in first year, in chem. I should just do well in my 2nd year and get my A*s.
Reply 93
Original post by LilyCat

The overall ranking does not distinguish different modules or AS v A2 and so your 95% is a good start. It looks to me as if your A2 module may well look a bit of a rogue. Yes it is a mild disadvantage compared to it having been 95% but I don't think they are that fussed about grade boundaries as such. You will get an interview and you must stand a reasonable chance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
In the event that I get pooled, what will be the most predominant factor in determining whether or not I get fished? Will high UMS make up for an average/poor interview score, or is the latter the most important? Applying for maths, by the way.
Reply 95
Original post by CD315
In the event that I get pooled, what will be the most predominant factor in determining whether or not I get fished? Will high UMS make up for an average/poor interview score, or is the latter the most important? Applying for maths, by the way.

Because so many maths candidates have very high maths/physics UMS (verging on 100%) I suspect those who get pooled have high UMS and good interviews but the original college just has too any candidates. Don't forget that getting an offer is only half way through the process as there are twice as many offers as places for maths. What I remember from last years pool is that most maths people got fished very quickly by less popular colleges and almost nobody got reinterviewed. Huge numbers got pooled from Trinity.
Reply 96
Original post by Colmans
Because so many maths candidates have very high maths/physics UMS (verging on 100%) I suspect those who get pooled have high UMS and good interviews but the original college just has too any candidates. Don't forget that getting an offer is only half way through the process as there are twice as many offers as places for maths. What I remember from last years pool is that most maths people got fished very quickly by less popular colleges and almost nobody got reinterviewed. Huge numbers got pooled from Trinity.

I understand that. Would you say that, overall, those who get pooled for maths have a high chance of getting fished? Trying to get my head around the process.

Spoiler

Reply 97
Original post by CD315
I understand that. Would you say that, overall, those who get pooled for maths have a high chance of getting fished? Trying to get my head around the process.

Spoiler

I wouldnt call it a high chance, but it's probably higher than most other subjects, seeing as the fishing colleges will just set a higher STEP level than needed if they are in doubt of a candidate. Plus twice as many get offers as places. Also I think interviews are considered more important than UMS as it is your way of thinking they are testing, a candidate can achieve high UMS without truly understanding the higher level maths. :smile:
Reply 98
Original post by LilyCat
I wouldnt call it a high chance, but it's probably higher than most other subjects, seeing as the fishing colleges will just set a higher STEP level than needed if they are in doubt of a candidate. Plus twice as many get offers as places. Also I think interviews are considered more important than UMS as it is your way of thinking they are testing, a candidate can achieve high UMS without truly understanding the higher level maths. :smile:

Ok thanks :smile:
Reply 99
Hey everyone! I applied to King's College for English and am currently in my gap year :smile: I'm hoping to get an interview so much!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending