The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1160
Original post by kapur

also for q4, how did you transform the graph of fk(X) to that of F2-k(X)?

You were asked to show f_k(1-t) = -f_(2-k)(1+t).

So if you rotate y=f_k a half-turn about (1,0) you get f_(2-k).
Original post by chriselle15
I can't remember the entire question, but for the multiple choice question about loga(b) something etc., was the answer 'for a unique value of a' ?

Hmm, I think it was "d. contradictory"
Original post by RichE

1) Are alternative solutions to the official ones considered- can they earn the maximum number of marks even if less elegant?
2) After applicants are short-listed are they all back to an even level in the eyes of Oxford interviewers despite MAT mark after which it depends on interview?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Savvy Sage

why?

I got a.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nahomyemane778
why?

You write out a and c in terms of b and you get an equation in b - which you don't have to solve because you rely on the earlier fact that b is a number greater than 0. This means you're equation in b cannot exist and is so contradictory.

^Does this make sense, I just re-read it :confused:
You write out a and c in terms of b and you get an equation in b - which you don't have to solve because you rely on the earlier fact that b is a number greater than 0. This means you're equation in b cannot exist and is so contradictory.

^Does this make sense, I just re-read it :confused:

I got a=4 as my solution. :l

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by President Snow
Also, according to my maths teacher, when providing feedback after the process is over, for the first year ever, they will NOT be releasing our MAT scores. Apparently every other admissions test (ELAT, PAT, CAT, BMAT, TSA, etc.) will still provide raw marks, but we will never get our marks back. :frown:

Anyone else heard this or have a reliable source?

I don't think you ever got your raw MAT score - not a change in policy as far as I'm aware!
Reply 1168
Original post by yl95

Posted from TSR Mobile

same
Original post by yl95

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps I'm wrong :P
Reply 1170
Original post by nahomyemane778
1) Are alternative solutions to the official ones considered- can they earn the maximum number of marks even if less elegant?

Yes, any valid method will earn full marks.

2) After applicants are short-listed, are they all back to an even level in the eyes of Oxford interviewers despite MAT mark after which it depends on interview?

No, the MAT mark is still of importance after shortlisting. That said, no one invited to interview - with whatever MAT score - is in a position where good interviews couldn't earn them an offer.
Reply 1171
Original post by shamika
I don't think you ever got your raw MAT score - not a change in policy as far as I'm aware!

It is not automatically sent out, but you can ask for it in January from the college you applied to as part of the feedback process.
Original post by RichE
It is not automatically sent out, but you can ask for it in January from the college you applied to as part of the feedback process.

I stand corrected - thanks for clarifying :smile:

Does that mean that Imperial have discretion over whether to disclose MAT scores, if someone applies to Imperial but not Oxford?
Reply 1173
Original post by shamika
I stand corrected - thanks for clarifying :smile:

Does that mean that Imperial have discretion over whether to disclose MAT scores, if someone applies to Imperial but not Oxford?

I cannot speak in detail on Imperial's feedback mechanisms, but I think the Freedom of Information Act ensures that candidates must be able to find their scores out somehow.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1174
Original post by RichE

You mean something like reflecting once about x=1 and once about y=0, right?
Hi, for the multiple choice here is what I remember. Please tell me if you agree or not with my answers, I'd really like to know how I've done!

1) A does not equal 2.
2) 4 + sinx
3) h(2x)

for the question with the logs, I got 'unique value for a'

for the last question about the integral of 2^x, I got log to the base 2 of (2^n) ! (option d)

For f(1) + f(2) + f(3) + ... I got 28.

For the one with the area between the two integrals, I got something like pi/4 subtract something

I don't remember which letter then one with the graphs was, but it was 2 parabolas.

For the remainder one I got something like n/2 or (n+1)/2.

Finally, for the one with the highest degree, I got 7, although from others on here it seems like it should have been less than 7 :/
Reply 1176
Original post by souktik
You mean something like reflecting once about x=1 and once about y=0, right?

Yes, that would achieve the same.
Reply 1177
Original post by qwertyuiopg
Hi, for the multiple choice here is what I remember. Please tell me if you agree or not with my answers, I'd really like to know how I've done!

1) A does not equal 2.
2) 4 + sinx
3) h(2x)

for the question with the logs, I got 'unique value for a'

for the last question about the integral of 2^x, I got log to the base 2 of (2^n) ! (option d)

For f(1) + f(2) + f(3) + ... I got 28.

For the one with the area between the two integrals, I got something like pi/4 subtract something

I don't remember which letter then one with the graphs was, but it was 2 parabolas.

For the remainder one I got something like n/2 or (n+1)/2.

Finally, for the one with the highest degree, I got 7, although from others on here it seems like it should have been less than 7 :/

I got B for the last part! Did you sollve it or did you guess?
Original post by kapur
I got B for the last part! Did you sollve it or did you guess?

I solved it in the exam, but I could have easily been wrong! I would try to solve it again but I don't remember the question anymore. Anyone know what it was exactly?

edit: Also, for the rest, did you get the same as me?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1179
Original post by qwertyuiopg
I solved it in the exam, but I could have easily been wrong! I would try to solve it again but I don't remember the question anymore. Anyone know what it was exactly?

edit: Also, for the rest, did you get the same as me?

For the remainder q I got -n/2. Otherwise yea same answers. Did you solve the last part of q2?

The last part of q1 was integral of the greatest integer function of 2^X from 0 to n where n was a natural number :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending