The Student Room Group

Physics 2014 Entry Hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jack_141
I got mine today, which one are you going on? Im now wondering the same thing about the day because I read something about a test?

I picked the 12 of December so I had to time to learn wtf physics is. And yeah I really need to find out what they test us on.
Reply 881
Original post by Dominic101
I picked the 12 of December so I had to time to learn wtf physics is. And yeah I really need to find out what they test us on.

Yea I'm on that one as well :smile: what did you apply to specifically? Which course?
Original post by Jack_141
Yea I'm on that one as well :smile: what did you apply to specifically? Which course?

Hey I'm going to the Bristol visit day for physics on the 21st, I decided to go for the earliest one as I really wanted to get a reply from them ASAP haha, I hate waiting around for responses :redface: But I'll let you know what sorta things they ask in the quiz, and whether it's worth preparing for, without actually giving too much away... cause that'd be cheating :tongue: Although tbh I wouldn't worry too much, cause I believe that most people who attend the visit day get an offer anyway :smile:

Btw I've applied for Astrophysics (mphys) is you're curious
Reply 883
Original post by Bounce00100
Hey I'm going to the Bristol visit day for physics on the 21st, I decided to go for the earliest one as I really wanted to get a reply from them ASAP haha, I hate waiting around for responses :redface: But I'll let you know what sorta things they ask in the quiz, and whether it's worth preparing for, without actually giving too much away... cause that'd be cheating :tongue: Although tbh I wouldn't worry too much, cause I believe that most people who attend the visit day get an offer anyway :smile:

Thank you that'd be appreciated! Im sure its nothing major but I'm just curious :smile:
Reply 884
Original post by Bounce00100

I've been invited to a visit day for physics too :biggrin: I've just read the email, so I still have to decide when to go, but I think I'll choose a date in December, as I would come from Italy and I need to check flights etc.
I would be very grateful if you could tell us what the visit day is like after you attend :smile:
Reply 885
Got an offer from Leicester on Wednesday the 6th! Didn't know because of the track crash with no emails been sent :frown: Only sent my application on Tuesday was well ahaha

Physics (MPhys) 4 year AAB :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 886
Original post by Abbseh
Got an offer from Leicester yesterday/today! Not sure which because of the track crash with no emails been sent :frown: Only sent my application on Tuesday was well ahaha

Physics (MPhys) 4 year AAB :biggrin:

Congratulations! They got back to you fast!
Guys I need serious help!

I am doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths (AS Levels). I am struggling with physics I don't get it. I perform well in class when Miss gives us question or when she tells us to give her answers I am the one doing that majority of the time.

We have done a few test and I have been doing rubbish in them getting E & D's. I am thinking of dropping physics because I have been working hard for it but I am not getting the results. I have done past papers for the topics we've already done, made notes from the textbook. What else?

I give up, I don't know what I am doing wrong. What do you think I should do?

Thank you so much for anything opinon that you give me, trust me it would be a huge help. I am very confused.
Reply 888
Original post by passionate27
Guys I need serious help!

I am doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths (AS Levels). I am struggling with physics I don't get it. I perform well in class when Miss gives us question or when she tells us to give her answers I am the one doing that majority of the time.

We have done a few test and I have been doing rubbish in them getting E & D's. I am thinking of dropping physics because I have been working hard for it but I am not getting the results. I have done past papers for the topics we've already done, made notes from the textbook. What else?

I give up, I don't know what I am doing wrong. What do you think I should do?

Thank you so much for anything opinon that you give me, trust me it would be a huge help. I am very confused.

Sometimes for physics it's not all about simply copying notes and past papers, you have to make sure you really understand the content so you can apply it to unfamiliar situations (such as what they give you in exams).

Maybe the way your teacher teaches isn't the way that you learn best? When I used to have trouble I would use websites like Khan Academy to complement the work I did in class.

Definitely don't give up though! I found the first month or two of A Level physics challenging as it is a really big step up from GCSE compared to all the other subjects that you do (I did the same A Levels) and I still ended up with a good grade.

If there's any specific problems that you're having with questions then I'm sure someone can help in the TSR Physics Study Help Forum.
Original post by alow
Sometimes for physics it's not all about simply copying notes and past papers, you have to make sure you really understand the content so you can apply it to unfamiliar situations (such as what they give you in exams).

Maybe the way your teacher teaches isn't the way that you learn best? When I used to have trouble I would use websites like Khan Academy to complement the work I did in class.

Definitely don't give up though! I found the first month or two of A Level physics challenging as it is a really big step up from GCSE compared to all the other subjects that you do (I did the same A Levels) and I still ended up with a good grade.

If there's any specific problems that you're having with questions then I'm sure someone can help in the TSR Physics Study Help Forum.

I think I get the concept I just feel lost when I am in test condition and the questions are written so differently but I understand what you mean. I did use Khan Academy at the start but then stopped; thanks I will use it again.

Exactly, at GCSE's Physics was really simply tbh. That gives me hope, thank you.
Reply 890
Original post by passionate27
I think I get the concept I just feel lost when I am in test condition and the questions are written so differently but I understand what you mean. I did use Khan Academy at the start but then stopped; thanks I will use it again.

Exactly, at GCSE's Physics was really simply tbh. That gives me hope, thank you.

Also with AS physics there are some hard and easy topics, our teachers started with the hardest topics last year then moved onto simpler topics (mechanics and GCSE topics in more depth) maybe look at the other chapters and see if any of those appeal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 891
Original post by alow
Congratulations! They got back to you fast!

I know, I'm so chuffed! Second offer now :biggrin:
Reply 892
Hey there!
For me, I think the only reason I ended up getting 271/300 UMS in AS physics was that I've always really enjoyed the subject. So make sure you enjoy what you're being taught :P

If you read around some topics (like diffraction, for example - used to map the structure of atoms; or circular motion - used to analyse planetary systems) and find their use or relevance, or their links to other areas of study, you'll be able to appreciate the differing contexts to which subjects can be applied, which helps with unfamiliar questions.

However, in general, I've found that with modern A-level papers, once you've done a few papers, you've pretty much done all of them.
The questions are typically quite generic, and mostly you just need to be able to spot the three numbers they give you, and find the right equation on the equation sheet that will provide the fourth number!
As long as you understand (not just memorise) every equation on the equation sheet, you'll be able to deal with anything :wink:

(Oh yeah, and just practise. Lots)

Hope this helps a bit :P

Christy.
Reply 893
Anyone who's got an offer for Manchester, how long after you had your interview did you get the offer? :smile:
Reply 894
Original post by alow
Anyone who's got an offer for Manchester, how long after you had your interview did you get the offer? :smile:

the day after...

but I've been waiting on imperial for 2 weeks now...
Reply 895
Original post by Goods
the day after...

but I've been waiting on imperial for 2 weeks now...

I had my interview yesterday but my UCAS hasn't changed yet :/ probably because track was broken yesterday.

I think on my email from imperial for interview (next Thursday) they said it would be 2-4 weeks.
Original post by alow
I had my interview yesterday but my UCAS hasn't changed yet :/ probably because track was broken yesterday.

I think on my email from imperial for interview (next Thursday) they said it would be 2-4 weeks.

I still haven't had an interview from Imperial. Getting a bit worried now
Reply 897
Original post by alow

Manchester were very quick. They updated it on track the day after and i got a letter in the post after about a week
Just got an offer from Leicester, ABB for the BSc got 1 offer and 3 Visit days now only sheffield hasn't replied yet. Has anyone got a reply from them yet?
Reply 899
Original post by Moist Penguin
Just got an offer from Leicester, ABB for the BSc got 1 offer and 3 Visit days now only sheffield hasn't replied yet. Has anyone got a reply from them yet?

I got an offer for the MPhys on Wednesday at AAB! Have you been invited to a visit day for it? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest