The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

growing up is hard work :frown: had to sit waiting for the counsel for an hour just so i could sign some forms today! thought it would be easy!

TW due to violence

Spoiler

Original post by Anonymous
growing up is hard work :frown: had to sit waiting for the counsel for an hour just so i could sign some forms today! thought it would be easy!

TW due to violence

Spoiler

bloody anon :frown:
also really panniking about the drs :s-smilie: going in a bit, and now also need to try get more meds out of them as i have none left, and the ones my mum posted me have gone missing :s-smilie: dont know what ill do if they wont give me any, surely they will have to right? especially if i take my old prescription from my old drs???
Hey everyone. I was wondering if I could get some advice.

I have an appointment with a psychiatrist tomorrow, and I was wondering how likely it will be that I will be sent to hospital. I know you guys aren't professionals or anything like that, but I was just looking for some opinions, so that I have a better idea of what may happen tomorrow, and thereby calm me down.

I saw a therapist on Monday who suggested being in a psych unit may be for the best for me.

Basically, I've been having suicidal thoughts, to the extent that I have figured out a plan, where I will carry it out and when (I've checked when I will be alone in my house).
I've also become very paranoid, to the extent that I haven't attended any of my lectures since my course started in September. I currently live with other uni students, but have avoided my kitchen and don't eat very much as a result of that. I also force myself to go for as long as possible without food, almost as a method of self-harm. I have started feeling dizzy now and again, so I try to eat, but normally end up binging then not eating for a while.

It's gotten to the extent that I have started staying in hotels just to avoid people. The most likely thing I can see happening tomorrow is the psychiatrist offering me medication. However, is it likely that she will suggest hospitalisation? And if so, would it be the best option? I know none of you can make such a decision for me behind a computer screen, but other people's opinions would be very helpful right now.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey everyone. I was wondering if I could get some advice.

I have an appointment with a psychiatrist tomorrow, and I was wondering how likely it will be that I will be sent to hospital. I know you guys aren't professionals or anything like that, but I was just looking for some opinions, so that I have a better idea of what may happen tomorrow, and thereby calm me down.

I saw a therapist on Monday who suggested being in a psych unit may be for the best for me.

Basically, I've been having suicidal thoughts, to the extent that I have figured out a plan, where I will carry it out and when (I've checked when I will be alone in my house).
I've also become very paranoid, to the extent that I haven't attended any of my lectures since my course started in September. I currently live with other uni students, but have avoided my kitchen and don't eat very much as a result of that. I also force myself to go for as long as possible without food, almost as a method of self-harm. I have started feeling dizzy now and again, so I try to eat, but normally end up binging then not eating for a while.

It's gotten to the extent that I have started staying in hotels just to avoid people. The most likely thing I can see happening tomorrow is the psychiatrist offering me medication. However, is it likely that she will suggest hospitalisation? And if so, would it be the best option? I know none of you can make such a decision for me behind a computer screen, but other people's opinions would be very helpful right now.

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like hospitalization might be on the cards for you what with having a plan and date that's usually a pretty big warning sign. There's also the fact you're not eating which is problematic too. However, going to hospital is a last resort and doctors prefer to keep people in the community if at all possible. It might be that they get the crisis team to check on you rather than admitting you. The crisis team can come visit everyday to talk to you and make sure you're ok, they can also give you medication if it seems like it wouldn't be safe to leave it with you.

I think you should be as honest as possible with the psychiatrist, even if that leads to getting admitted. Psych wards aren't nice places to be but they can keep you safe and that's what's important. Given that you have a suicide plan you're obviously not in a good place right now. BUT just because you're ill right now doesn't mean things will be that way forever. You'd also be able to be stabilized on medication which can make a lot of difference to your life.

Hope this helps, best of luck for tomorrow. :hugs:
falling apart and im scared, dont know what to do :cry2:
Why does everything have to be so bloody difficult? :cry2:
Really disappointed in myself. Ate so healthily all day and now I am panic bingeing for no reason and have also just ordered pizza/ice cream delivery…. ffs I am going to become even more overweight now. I had a migraine all day which I am using as an excuse to stuff my face even though it is irrelevant. Why the **** do I have to consume so much food when it is food that makes me unhappy in the first place.
Reply 9827
Original post by tasha96
Why does everything have to be so bloody difficult? :cry2:

I can completely relate to all your posts at the min.. big hugs
Original post by 05autyt
I can completely relate to all your posts at the min.. big hugs

Sorry things aren't so good at the moment. :frown: :hugs: The offer to PM is always there, if it would ever be helpful. :yep: :hugs:
Reply 9829
Original post by tasha96
Sorry things aren't so good at the moment. :frown: :hugs: The offer to PM is always there, if it would ever be helpful. :yep: :hugs:

Sorry for you too.. And thanks! I just don't know where I am at atm :/ im confused and scared. I don't even know what to do anymore.. so i'll probably take you up on that some time when ill be better conversation. All I ever seem to do is drive people away
Not a good day. Forgot my tablets 2 days in a row.

Spoiler

I know this isn't really mental health but seeing as I post in here anyway….

I've been told today I sound as if I am dyspraxic by my DSA assessor… however she couldn't actually tell me how I get assessed and diagnosed. Anyone know this? Would make a lot of sense.
Horrible day at university, better than not attending and not following at all, but how shall I pass the exams like that or even enjoy my studies?
My fear of phones is getting ridiculous. I need to call and arrange a room change for tonight and I sent an email but I've had no reply yet. My laptop is broken and the repair company are forcing me to call them to arrange pick-up even though they're my DSA suppliers and I've told them a thousand times that my phone anxiety is too bad to do so.

The learning disability group that I help to run has all gone to pot because two of the senior committee members have started some sort of weird argument that they won't leave alone. So there's a chance I'm going to be moved into a position where I need to make lots of phone calls and I'm too sucky to do so. I can at least do it for the group but my heart will think it's about to explode and I'll be a mess.

Why do I suck so much? :frown:

And I'm having crazy anxiety because one of the teenagers in my care at the last meeting had a massive panic attack, lost consciousness and stopped breathing. We did absolutely everything correctly but I worry that if the other first aider hadn't been there then my brain would have exploded or I'd have had a panic attack too.

And I can't pick a topic for my stupid essay because I'm crippled with fear over whether I can choose a good topic or not.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
My fear of phones is getting ridiculous. I need to call and arrange a room change for tonight and I sent an email but I've had no reply yet. My laptop is broken and the repair company are forcing me to call them to arrange pick-up even though they're my DSA suppliers and I've told them a thousand times that my phone anxiety is too bad to do so.

The learning disability group that I help to run has all gone to pot because two of the senior committee members have started some sort of weird argument that they won't leave alone. So there's a chance I'm going to be moved into a position where I need to make lots of phone calls and I'm too sucky to do so. I can at least do it for the group but my heart will think it's about to explode and I'll be a mess.

Why do I suck so much? :frown:

And I'm having crazy anxiety because one of the teenagers in my care at the last meeting had a massive panic attack, lost consciousness and stopped breathing. We did absolutely everything correctly but I worry that if the other first aider hadn't been there then my brain would have exploded or I'd have had a panic attack too.

And I can't pick a topic for my stupid essay because I'm crippled with fear over whether I can choose a good topic or not.

Oh wow, sounds like you're having it pretty rough :hugs: Have you tried getting over your fear of phones before, instead of avoiding it? I must say im guilty of avoiding things a lot, but i am trying to overcome stuff now, slowly.

Just the whole fear of phones thing is quite limiting to you in many ways, and i think its something you can change.

Don't worry about what didn't happen, but be glad about what did happen. Next time if such a situation ever occurs again, you'll be more prepared :hugs:

EDIT: In regards to deciding what topic to write about, just pick any of your ideas, doesn't matter which, and just start it. It doesn't have to be long, maybe even 30 mins, but just write something, and it might make something click and give you better ideas perhaps.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Meaty_man
Oh wow, sounds like you're having it pretty rough :hugs: Have you tried getting over your fear of phones before, instead of avoiding it? I must say im guilty of avoiding things a lot, but i am trying to overcome stuff now, slowly.

Just the whole fear of phones thing is quite limiting to you in many ways, and i think its something you can change.

Don't worry about what didn't happen, but be glad about what did happen. Next time if such a situation ever occurs again, you'll be more prepared :hugs:

EDIT: In regards to deciding what topic to write about, just pick any of your ideas, doesn't matter which, and just start it. It doesn't have to be long, maybe even 30 mins, but just write something, and it might make something click and give you better ideas perhaps.

I managed to sort out tonight's room issue by calling but it was awkward and I had to repeat several times.

I had cbt for it last year but it was too hard and I gave up :frown: I'm getting a little better but sometimes it's just too hard.

Thanks for the essay advice! I'll give that a go later. I'm supervising the group for a film night so I can at least do some of it then. Just really get myself into such a state worrying it'll never be good enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I managed to sort out tonight's room issue by calling but it was awkward and I had to repeat several times.

I had cbt for it last year but it was too hard and I gave up :frown: I'm getting a little better but sometimes it's just too hard.

Thanks for the essay advice! I'll give that a go later. I'm supervising the group for a film night so I can at least do some of it then. Just really get myself into such a state worrying it'll never be good enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pat yourself on the back though, doing something that terrifies you, and repeatedly, isn't easy! Yeah i heard cbt doesn't work for everyone, but don't know until you try.

I worry a lot too, but it does make us more alert and aware, which is good for a few things at least. I daresay the constant worry makes you tired? At least it does for me, im not sure if anxiety or depression is my main problem tbh, but they go hand in hand anyways.

I'm sure your essay will end up fine if you put enough time into it :smile: Something that has worked for me recently is, instead of saying to yourself "i'll do it later" and constantly putting it off, just do something the moment you think of it, if you can. It may sound strange but mental problems aren't exactly logical :tongue:
I've had a particularly unproductive reading week and decided to log my thought for the day on coping with a lack of motivation in depression. If you have a few moments spare please check it out and see if you can relate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89zQ-ie3cf4&feature=youtube_gdata

Incandescent
Original post by Incandescent
I've had a particularly unproductive reading week and decided to log my thought for the day on coping with a lack of motivation in depression. If you have a few moments spare please check it out and see if you can relate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89zQ-ie3cf4&feature=youtube_gdata

Incandescent

I've sent you a PM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sunfowers01
I've sent you a PM

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just seen it, will reply now :smile:

Latest