The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Problem 381***

Let A be an nxn real matrix with the modulus of each entry strictly less than 1/n. Is IAI-A invertable in all cases? If not, when is it invertable.
Original post by keromedic
I only just noticed the problem and thought "oh, I can finally solve a problem on here". Too late though :tongue:

Spoiler

I solved it another way by substituting the identity for cos2x which makes it sinx(cos^2x-sin^2x) and integrating sinxcos^2x as -cos^3x/3 which left me with -sin^3x=-sinx(1-cos^2x)=-sinx+sinxcos^2x and the integral of this is cosx-cos^3x/3 giving me an integral of cosx-2cos^3x/3 +c in total.
Original post by Mladenov
As Nikolai Nikolov, the leader of our mathematics team, says: Why simple, when it could be complicated?!

Spoiler

So weird, he tutors at my college (Univ)!
Reply 2383
Problem 382**

Let a1(1,2)a_1 \in (1,2) and ak+1=ak+kaka_{k+1}=a_k+\frac{k}{a_k}. Prove that there are at most two terms in the sequence that add to make an integer.
(edited 10 years ago)
Problem 383**

Ms. Janis Smith takes out an endowment policy with an insurance company which involves making a fixed payment of $P\$P each year. At the end of nn years, Janis expects to receive a payout of a sum of money which is equal to her total payments together with interest added at the rate of α%\alpha \% per annum of the total sum in the fund.

Show, by mathematical induction or otherwise, that the total sum in the fund at the end of the
Unparseable latex formula:

n^t^h

year is $PR(Rn1)R1\$\frac{PR(R^n -1)}{R - 1} where R=(1+α100)R=(1+\frac{\alpha}{100})
Reply 2385
Problem 384***

It seems I incorrectly starred this one. Here's a better rewording:

Prove that if a,b,a2+b21+abZa,b,\frac{a^2+b^2}{1+ab} \in \mathbb{Z} , then a2+b21+ab\frac{a^2+b^2}{1+ab} is a perfect square.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by henpen
Problem 384**

Prove that for some a,ba,b there exists an nn such that
a2+b21+ab,a,b,nZa2+b21+ab=n2.\frac{a^2+b^2}{1+ab}, a, b, n \in \mathbb{Z} \Rightarrow \frac{a^2+b^2}{1+ab}=n^2.

Do yoyu mean for all a,b?
Original post by henpen
Problem 384**

a2+b21+ab,a,b,nZa2+b21+ab=n2.\frac{a^2+b^2}{1+ab}, a, b, n \in \mathbb{Z} \Rightarrow \frac{a^2+b^2}{1+ab}=n^2.

What are you trying to ask? if it is just to find integers a,b,n satisfying this equation then it is absolutely trivial; a=b=n=1 is an easy solution.

If, on the other hand, you are asking the form that question is usually asked in (Which is to prove that if a2+b21+ab \frac{a^2+b^2}{1+ab} is an integer for integers a,b then it is a perfect square) then you should rewrite it to make things explicit and add another star to the difficulty as said question was infamously difficult for the IMO at its time of conception.
Original post by henpen
Problem 384**

I believe this was the hardest IMO question ever. In year 1988 I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2389
Okay, so I'm new to this thread :hello:

This was in a book I'm reading and I thought it was a really beautiful result, I'm sorry if anyone has asked a question like this before. This might be possible with just *, I haven't tried it.

Problem 385***

0<k<1[br]Findintermsofk02π112kcosθ+k2 dθ[br]0<k<1[br]Find in terms of k \displaystyle\int^{2\pi}_0 \frac{1}{1-2k\cos \theta +k^2}\ d\theta[br]
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Flauta
Okay, so I'm new to this thread :hello:

This was in a book I'm reading and I thought it was a really beautiful result, I'm sorry if anyone has asked a question like this before. This might be possible with just *, I haven't tried it.

Welcome to the thread! :cool:

Problem 385***

0<k<1[br]Findintermsofk02π112kcosθ+k2 dθ[br]0<k<1[br]Find in terms of k \displaystyle\int^{2\pi}_0 \frac{1}{1-2k\cos \theta +k^2}\ d\theta[br]

Solution 385

02πdxk22kcosx+1 dx=t=tanx22dt(k+1)2t2+(k1)2=2arctan(k+1k1t)k21\displaystyle\begin{aligned} \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{dx}{k^2 - 2k\cos{x} + 1} \ dx & \overset{t = \tan{\frac{x}{2}}}= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{2dt}{(k+1)^2 t^2 + (k-1)^2} \\ \\ & = \frac{2\arctan{\left(\frac{k+1}{k-1} t\right)}}{k^2 - 1}\bigg|_{-\infty}^{\infty} \end{aligned}

Now, note that 0<k<1    k1<00 < k < 1 \implies k - 1 < 0 so we will use the fact that arctan(k+1k1t)=arctan(k+11kt)\arctan\left(\frac{k+1}{k-1} t\right) = -\arctan \left(\frac{k+1}{1-k} t \right) as arctanx\arctan{x} is an odd function so that the k+1k1\frac{k+1}{k-1} does not affect the sign of the argument of the arctan. Thus the integral is given by:

21k2(arctan(k+11kt))=2π1k2\dfrac{2}{1-k^2} \left(\arctan{\left(\frac{k+1}{1-k} t \right)} \bigg|_{-\infty}^{\infty}\right) = \dfrac{2\pi}{1-k^2}
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2391
Original post by Felix Felicis
Welcome to the thread! :cool:
x

Thank you!

I didn't know it could be done that way, correct answer though :smile:
Reply 2392
Original post by Arieisit
Problem 383**

Ms. Janis Smith takes out an endowment policy with an insurance company which involves making a fixed payment of $P\$P each year. At the end of nn years, Janis expects to receive a payout of a sum of money which is equal to her total payments together with interest added at the rate of α%\alpha \% per annum of the total sum in the fund.

Show, by mathematical induction or otherwise, that the total sum in the fund at the end of the

n^t^h

year is $PR(Rn1)R1\$\frac{PR(R^n -1)}{R - 1} where R=(1+α100)R=(1+\frac{\alpha}{100})

I THINK I've got it?

Solution 383

[br]Sn=PR(Rn1)R1[br]Sn+1=R(PR(Rn1)R1+P)[br]Sn+1=PR(R(Rn1)R1+1)[br]Sn+1=PR(Rn+1R+R1R1)[br]Sn+1=PR(Rn+11R1)[br]n+1=k[br]Sk=PR(Rk1)R1[br][br]Trueforn=1because[br][br]S1=PR(R1)R1[br]S1=PR[br][br]S_n=\frac{PR(R^n-1)}{R-1}[br]S_{n+1}=R(\frac{PR(R^n-1)}{R-1}+P)[br]S_{n+1}=PR(\frac{R(R^n-1)}{R-1}+1)[br]S_{n+1}=PR(\frac{R^{n+1}-R+R-1}{R-1})[br]S_{n+1}=PR(\frac{R^{n+1}-1}{R-1})[br]n+1=k[br]S_{k}=\frac{PR(R^k-1)}{R-1}[br][br]True for n=1 because[br][br]S_1=\frac{PR(R-1)}{R-1}[br]S_1=PR[br]

Is that correct?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Flauta
I THINK I've got it?

Solution 383

[br]Sn=PR(Rn1)R1[br]Sn+1=R(PR(Rn1)R1+P)[br]Sn+1=PR(R(Rn1)R1+1)[br]Sn+1=PR(Rn+1R+R1R1)[br]Sn+1=PR(Rn+11R1)[br]n+1=k[br]Sk=PR(Rk1)R1[br][br]Trueforn=1because[br][br]S1=PR(R1)R1[br]S1=PR[br][br]S_n=\frac{PR(R^n-1)}{R-1}[br]S_{n+1}=R(\frac{PR(R^n-1)}{R-1}+P)[br]S_{n+1}=PR(\frac{R(R^n-1)}{R-1}+1)[br]S_{n+1}=PR(\frac{R^{n+1}-R+R-1}{R-1})[br]S_{n+1}=PR(\frac{R^{n+1}-1}{R-1})[br]n+1=k[br]S_{k}=\frac{PR(R^k-1)}{R-1}[br][br]True for n=1 because[br][br]S_1=\frac{PR(R-1)}{R-1}[br]S_1=PR[br]

Is that correct?

You are on the right path :yy: but the proof is not complete.

I could finish it off for you but I wouldn't rob you of the joy of doing it yourself :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Problem 383**

n^t^h

When I was in school I had fun spending a few days investigating this class of problems. :smile:

Solution 383**

Spoiler

Original post by ukdragon37
When I was in school I had fun spending a few days investigating this class of problems. :smile:

Solution 383**

Spoiler

This is the way I did it as well. It's more "fun" than the induction :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2396
This is the way I did it as well. It's more "fun" than the induction :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I disagree, induction is pretty damn exciting, like an expedition to try to get it back into the original form :tongue:

Did I miss out a step or something? Reading over it and can't see where my mistake is.

EDIT: Oh I see it now, nevermind. I was a bit too brief. Thanks :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2397
Okay so I need more LaTeX practice, and I still think problems like this are cool. We had to numerically integrate this in maths today, was dreadfully inaccurate aha. There're various ways of doing this.

Problem 386**/***

[br]Find02π153sinxdx[br][br]Find \displaystyle\int^{2\pi}_0 \frac{1}{5-3\sin x} dx[br]

Hints

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2398
Original post by Flauta
Okay so I need more LaTeX practice, and I still think problems like this are cool. We had to numerically integrate this in maths today, was dreadfully inaccurate aha. There're various ways of doing this.

Problem 386**/***

[br]Find02π153sinxdx[br][br]Find \displaystyle\int^{2\pi}_0 \frac{1}{5-3\sin x} dx[br]

Hints

Spoiler

As sin(x)1,|\sin(x)|\le 1,

1135sin(x)=k=0(35sin(x))2\displaystyle \frac{1}{1-\frac{3}{5}\sin(x)}= \sum_{k=0}^\infty\left(\frac{3}{5}\sin(x)\right)^2

15k0(35)k02πsink(x)dx=15k0(35)kIk,\displaystyle \frac{1}{5}\sum_{k \ge 0} \left(\frac{3}{5}\right)^k\int_0^{2 \pi}\sin^k(x)dx=\frac{1}{5}\sum_{k \ge 0} \left(\frac{3}{5}\right)^k I_k,
integrate the integral by parts, finding that (!! is the double factorial)
I2k+1=0,I2k=2π(2k1)!!(2k)!!,\displaystyle I_{2k+1}=0, I_{2k}=2 \pi \frac{(2k-1)!!}{(2k)!!},

where we define (1)!!=(0)!!=1(-1)!!=(0)!!=1 for ease (Is this standard? The binomial expansions of (1x)n2(1-x)^{\frac{-n}{2}} is much neater to write if (n)!!=1(-n)!!=1.),

2π5k0(35)2k(2k1)!!(2k)!!.\displaystyle \frac{2\pi}{5}\sum_{k \ge 0} \left(\frac{3}{5}\right)^{2k} \frac{(2k-1)!!}{(2k)!!}.

Note that
1x1=k0(2k1)!!(2k)!!xk.\displaystyle\sqrt{1-x}^{-1}=\sum_{k \ge 0}\frac{(2k-1)!!}{(2k)!!}x^k.

Thus the integral reduces to

\displaystyle\frac{2\pi}{5}\left(\sqrt{1-\left\frac{3}{5}\right^2}^{-1}\right)=\frac{\pi}{2}.

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2399
Original post by henpen

I'm not going to pretend to understand anything you've written there, but that is the correct answer! Guess there are more than 2 ways of doing it

Quick Reply

Latest