Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)

Seriously? I am so. screwed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1262
Original post by yl95
Seriously? I am so. screwed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'm pretty sure. I believe they wanted to see if we could apply part (iv) and get the answer directly.
Reply 1263
Original post by souktik
Yeah, I'm pretty sure. I believe they wanted to see if we could apply part (iv) and get the answer directly.

bro what were your anwers for the 2nd and 4th parts of the q2?
Looks like iv got 60 if im pessimistic 67 if im optimistic
Original post by souktik

That's annoying. Other people I know got the same answer as me. This paper has told me that I can't read properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RichE

Do you know the lowest ever score an applicant has ever been shortlisted with in recent years?
can someone explain multiple choice part G??
Cannot believe I put the wrong answer down for the graph - I wrote down d) instead of b). l o l this is going downhill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1269
Original post by kapur
bro what were your anwers for the 2nd and 4th parts of the q2?

2.ii.a.
f(t)f(1t)=tf(t)-f(1-t)=t (for all tt)
implies: f(1t)f(t)=1tf(1-t)-f(t)=1-t (replacing tt by 1t1-t)
Add the two equations and you get t+(1t)=0t+(1-t)=0, that is 1=01=0. :tongue:

Spoiler

2.ii.c.
I used f(t)=t.(2t1)3f(t)=t.(2t-1)^3. In general, f(t)=t.g(t)f(t)=t.g(t) is a valid example as long as the condition in 2.ii.b. is followed. A simpler example would have been f(t)=(2t1)32f(t)={\frac{(2t-1)^3}{2}}, or f(t)=g(t)2f(t)={\frac{g(t)}{2}} in general.

Original post by yl95
That's annoying. Other people I know got the same answer as me. This paper has told me that I can't read properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, it was confusing. In an exam hall, it's easy to misinterpret "one digit at least 5" as "at least one digit 5".
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1270
Original post by souktik
2.ii.a.
f(t)f(1t)=tf(t)-f(1-t)=t (for all tt)
implies: f(1t)f(t)=1tf(1-t)-f(t)=1-t (replacing tt by 1t1-t)
Add the two equations and you get t+(1t)=0t+(1-t)=0, that is 1=01=0. :tongue:

Spoiler

2.ii.c.
I used f(t)=t.(2t1)3f(t)=t.(2t-1)^3. In general, f(t)=t.g(t)f(t)=t.g(t) is a valid example as long as the condition in 2.ii.b. is followed. A simpler example would have been f(t)=(2t1)32f(t)={\frac{(2t-1)^3}{2}}, or f(t)=g(t)2f(t)={\frac{g(t)}{2}} in general.

Well, it was confusing. In an exam hall, it's easy to misinterpret "one digit at least 5" as "at least one digit 5".

Do you have a copy of the paper?
Original post by CD315

It's online on the MAT page alreadyn

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1272
Original post by yl95
It's online on the MAT page alreadyn

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, here I go trying to count my scores.
Reply 1273
Pretty sure I got 52 due to silly mistakes in the multiple choice more than anything. Jesus. Anyone think this will be enough to get me an Imperial offer?
Reply 1274
Original post by qwertyuiopg
can someone explain multiple choice part G??

pn(x)=nxn(n+1)2p_n(x) = nx-\frac{n(n+1)}{2} for all nn.
Therefore, pn1(x)=(n1)x(n1)n2p_{n-1}(x)=(n-1)x-\frac{(n-1)n}{2}
Now some simple manipulation:
pn(x)=nxn(n+1)2p_n(x)=nx-\frac{n(n+1)}{2}
=nn1(n1)xnn1(n1)(n+1)2 = {\frac{n}{n-1}}{(n-1)x}-{\frac{n}{n-1}}{\frac{(n-1)(n+1)}{2}}
=nn1(n1)xnn1(n1)n2n2 = {\frac{n}{n-1}}{(n-1)x}-{\frac{n}{n-1}}{\frac{(n-1)n}{2}}-\frac{n}{2}
=nn1pn1(x)n2 = {\frac{n}{n-1}}p_{n-1}(x)-\frac{n}{2}

So the answer is (d)n2(d) -\frac{n}{2}.
Original post by CD315

https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/attachments/test13.pdf
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CD315
Ok, here I go trying to count my scores.

I'm relying on marks from my working...

Posted from TSR Mobile
RichE
Have to say, I really don't like 1C. Wrong/right answers depending on whether you interpret f(2x)=d2dt2f(t)t=2x f''(2x) = \dfrac{d^2}{dt^2} f(t)\Big|_{t=2x} or f(2x)=d2dt2f(2t)t=xf''(2x) = \dfrac{d^2}{dt^2} f(2t)\Big|_{t=x}. I confess I'm not sure what the correct interpretation is myself!
Reply 1277
Original post by DFranklin
Have to say, I really don't like 1C. Wrong/right answers depending on whether you interpret f(2x)=d2dt2f(t)t=2x f''(2x) = \dfrac{d^2}{dt^2} f(t)\Big|_{t=2x} or f(2x)=d2dt2f(2t)t=xf''(2x) = \dfrac{d^2}{dt^2} f(2t)\Big|_{t=x}. I confess I'm not sure what the correct interpretation is myself!

I know, right! I used the second interpretation and I'm all set to lose 4 marks. :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by souktik
I know, right! I used the second interpretation and I'm all set to lose 4 marks. :frown:

I think you'll be fine. There are people who got in the 50-60s who are worrying much more than you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1279
Original post by DFranklin

Does this mean they're likely to allow for 2 answers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending