The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by goweee
Yup, received my offer on the 18th still excited:cool:

congrats haha! you must be really good for them to give you the offer so soon! May I ask which country you are from?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Shehr
Ah, why thank you!:biggrin: I applied -what seems like ages- about a month and a half ago. I'm 4 weeks since I got my 2 week email! Surely I should be getting some form of notification now, this is border line cruelty!:tongue:

Well done on getting so far ahead though, good luck with the next steps! I'm sure you'll be getting an offer soon:smile:

Haha thanks I do really hope so!

And if it helps your suffering at all, I'm pretty sure I got my 5 weeks email so fast because my school had messed up my predicted grades and emailed the correction to all of my unis, 'kindly' sending a file with all of my choices in the process :biggrin: Anyways LSE selectors probably took a look at my application at the same time they added the point I was missing from my IB diploma.

It's quite funny that people see some deeper meaning in the time it takes to get the 5 week email, as LSE definitely won't be spending time and resources on ranking the applications before they've even made it to the second stage. I know waiting is cruel though! I get so disappointed every time I see a new mail in my inbox and it isn't from an university :biggrin:

Oh and congratulations for your offer! Where else are you applying? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1322
Original post by Anselmina
Haha thanks I do really hope so!

And if it helps your suffering at all, I'm pretty sure I got my 5 weeks email so fast because my school had messed up my predicted grades and emailed the correction to all of my unis, 'kindly' sending a file with all of my choices in the process :biggrin: Anyways LSE selectors probably took a look at my application at the same time they added the point I was missing from my IB diploma.

It's quite funny that people see some deeper meaning in the time it takes to get the 5 week email, as LSE definitely won't be spending time and resources on ranking the applications before they've even made it to the second stage. I know waiting is cruel though! I get so disappointed every time I see a new mail in my inbox and it isn't from an university :biggrin:

Oh and congratulations for your offer! Where else are you applying? :smile:

Haha I know it's just all the paranoia eating away at me! :P You're lucky your school messed up then haha!
I agree, I'm sure they make decisions on the 5 week stuff so casually, and we're all here waiting with our magnifying glasses, reading to forensically nit pick! lol

Thank you! :smile: I have an offer from Bristol, and have applied to Cambridge, King's too. And obviously LSE. What about you?
Reply 1323
Any Politics and Philosophy offers yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shehr
Haha I know it's just all the paranoia eating away at me! :P You're lucky your school messed up then haha!
I agree, I'm sure they make decisions on the 5 week stuff so casually, and we're all here waiting with our magnifying glasses, reading to forensically nit pick! lol

Thank you! :smile: I have an offer from Bristol, and have applied to Cambridge, King's too. And obviously LSE. What about you?

I applied to Edinburgh, St Andrews and Aberdeen for IR and to Oxford for History and Econ. And then to quite a few places in Finland :smile: My twin applied to Cambridge though :biggrin: Which college did you choose and have you got your interview invitation already?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ffionm
Any Politics and Philosophy offers yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not yet, got my 5 week email 2 weeks and a day ago. Not got high hopes of getting an offer though - my statement, whilst well-written, was not laser-focused on Politics&Philosophy. More like, 40% philosophy, 40% politics, 15% economics (PPE) and 5% other stuff.
Original post by arminb
any offers for V146?

Noooo, doubt I'll get one for History. Currently 1 week 2 days since my 5 week email. Expecting a rejection any day now...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1327
Original post by theholonym
Not yet, got my 5 week email 2 weeks and a day ago. Not got high hopes of getting an offer though - my statement, whilst well-written, was not laser-focused on Politics&Philosophy. More like, 40% philosophy, 40% politics, 15% economics (PPE) and 5% other stuff.

I'm the exact same! I've applied for PPE at Oxford so my statement is focuses equally on the 3 disciplines. My teacher said that LSE would expect this of some candidates therefore allow it; I hope this is correct!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1328
Original post by gracelich
Noooo, doubt I'll get one for History. Currently 1 week 2 days since my 5 week email. Expecting a rejection any day now...

Posted from TSR Mobile

i hope you will bro. I only got ABBB at AS level (although all Bs were 79%) and still haven't lost hope. Are as deeply in the gutter as I am?! never lose hope:smile: why do you think theyll reject you?!
Original post by arminb
i hope you will bro. I only got ABBB at AS level (although all Bs were 79%) and still haven't lost hope. Are as deeply in the gutter as I am?! never lose hope:smile: why do you think theyll reject you?!

I got AAAE, BUT I resat year 12 (I have quite serious mitigating circumstances to back it up though). Already had two offers, from Leeds and Nottingham trent. But, History at LSE is ridiculously competitive, like 11.5 applicants per place. But, I thought, I'll never know if I never apply. I was shocked I even got as far as receiving the 5 week email.

Probably reject me as I'm not a brainbox with 5A* predictions. Also, my personal statement is weighted towards socio-economic History...... I have a feeling they would rather want a nice mix of interests. Wrote 1.5 paragraphs on relevant work experience and E.C's

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1330
Original post by Anselmina
I applied to Edinburgh, St Andrews and Aberdeen for IR and to Oxford for History and Econ. And then to quite a few places in Finland :smile: My twin applied to Cambridge though :biggrin: Which college did you choose and have you got your interview invitation already?

Ooh great choices! I was going to apply to Edinburgh but it seemed so far away :frown: lol
Haha for what?
I applied to Corpus Christi for HSPS and nope not yet, still need to send in my essays!
Original post by Shehr
Ooh great choices! I was going to apply to Edinburgh but it seemed so far away :frown: lol
Haha for what?
I applied to Corpus Christi for HSPS and nope not yet, still need to send in my essays!

Good luck with the essays then! My twin applied for medicine and got her invitation yesterday I think. She applied for Queen's, which is the sister college of the college I applied for in Oxford. If we both should miraculously get in it would be hilarious I think :biggrin:

And I can relate to your problem with Edinburgh. For me it's not really a problem since I have to fly to visit home either way, but if I lived in England I probably wouldn't want to head so far north :smile:

Oh and I read up on HSPS and it seems extremely cool :smile:
Reply 1332
Original post by LittleRedDot
congrats haha! you must be really good for them to give you the offer so soon! May I ask which country you are from?

really really early, probably why I got a decision so fast
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1333
Original post by gracelich
I got AAAE, BUT I resat year 12 (I have quite serious mitigating circumstances to back it up though). Already had two offers, from Leeds and Nottingham trent. But, History at LSE is ridiculously competitive, like 11.5 applicants per place. But, I thought, I'll never know if I never apply. I was shocked I even got as far as receiving the 5 week email.

Probably reject me as I'm not a brainbox with 5A* predictions. Also, my personal statement is weighted towards socio-economic History...... I have a feeling they would rather want a nice mix of interests. Wrote 1.5 paragraphs on relevant work experience and E.C's

Posted from TSR Mobile

probably that'd disadvantage you. But you never know with LSE. There are people with 5 A*s applying and people like me who apply so dont worry about it. Just have to wait and see, they might make you wait until january and you don't want to bother thinking about it like that. Don't be tricked by the name of a university. It is not the end of the world to not go to LSE. Hope this helped.
Original post by arminb
probably that'd disadvantage you. But you never know with LSE. There are people with 5 A*s applying and people like me who apply so dont worry about it. Just have to wait and see, they might make you wait until january and you don't want to bother thinking about it like that. Don't be tricked by the name of a university. It is not the end of the world to not go to LSE. Hope this helped.

Yeah, maybe. It's all History related though. I linked my w/e to my participation in the debating society etc. I should know the outcome of my application by 14th Jan. That's when my 12 weeks is up. Good luck with your application!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, I got my offer for Economic History on Friday from the LSE. So hopefully I will see some of you guys there next year!
Original post by Joshuabruno1
Hey guys, I got my offer for Economic History on Friday from the LSE. So hopefully I will see some of you guys there next year!

heyy, congratulations on getting your offer!! What is your offer? Also what were your GCSE grades and your predicted grades?
My GCSE's were bad due to a terrible school. Got A*AAAAAABB at gcse and my predicted grades for A level are A*AA. The offer is AAB. Anyone else doing Economic History?
Original post by Joshuabruno1
My GCSE's were bad due to a terrible school. Got A*AAAAAABB at gcse and my predicted grades for A level are A*AA. The offer is AAB. Anyone else doing Economic History?

If you really think those GCSE's are bad then you have a lot to learn D:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Portia1993
If you really think those GCSE's are bad then you have a lot to learn D:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're not bad, but they're probably below the average LSE candidates grades. Out of the 10 people I know personally applying to LSE, 7 of them have 8 A*s or more. I imagine most of the people applying have more than 5 A*s. Although that's complete speculation based on a small sample size :P

Quick Reply