The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Fed up a week into my assessed block. Had one really good lesson observation with my year 7s, who I've been teaching for a while. Had a horrendous lesson with my year 8s, had to stop myself from crying in the feedback meeting. Don't think that would have reflected well on me as a resilient teacher, crying in front of HOD! Really struggling with modelling writing to the pupils. I'm secondary English schools direct by the way.
Reply 2501
Original post by Shelly_x
Fed up a week into my assessed block. Had one really good lesson observation with my year 7s, who I've been teaching for a while. Had a horrendous lesson with my year 8s, had to stop myself from crying in the feedback meeting. Don't think that would have reflected well on me as a resilient teacher, crying in front of HOD! Really struggling with modelling writing to the pupils. I'm secondary English schools direct by the way.

I cried in front of my mentor (who was also the head of phase if that makes a difference). It was during feedback, because my phonics lesson went badly, but also just a general cry lol. It is a bit embarrassing but also inevitable. Remember the HOD probably cried many a time in their training and nqt year. It's high pressure, you have very little time for eating properly, sleeping etc, let alone spending time with friends or just relaxing at home. It's so stressful that it's very hard to cope with then having someone point out your flaws to your face! But there's absolutely nothing wrong with crying In front of a mentor. As long as you also show them that you understand the areas for improvement and have a plan for solving them.

It will get better and better. Ok, the year 8 lesson was bad, but think of how much you can learn and take away from that, to try new things next time!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2502

I'll also point out when my mentor saw me cry that prompted her to realise I needed more examples for phonics and we went through lots of stuff and I felt much better about it. I obviously hadn't quite got my needs clear on that occasion so getting upset actually had a positive outcome.

Do you do shared writing to model? Not secondary myself but I will try to help if I can! Big if lol. What kind of level are the children at that you find modelling hard for?

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had an absolutely cracking week - The year 8 class I got observed in which I was dreading a bit went very well. My mentor said for a first observed lesson it was pretty damn good. Obviously not everything perfect, my resourcing was a slight issue (need to print off anything which can aid them when doing their work in any way) but she said my classroom management (thing I was most concerned about) was one of my biggest strengths, I managed to get them in a seating plan with no fuss. She also said my modelling on the board was a big plus and my time management also a strength. I didn't over-run at all but finished maybe a bit early if anything.

Have so much confidence now but know there's loads I can still improve on.

Lesson planning time for a few hours now :frown: I'm finding this year 7 class (see earlier post in this page) so hard to plan for because they're low set so need a lot of spoon feeding but also I find Newspaper Articles so dull so that doesn't really help.

I cried probably about 10000000000000000 times* in front of my mentors. I think it annoyed them, but it is genuinely a coping mechanism for me (I cry fairly easily). Don't worry, just take the feedback and show them you can listen to the comments you get.

*Disclaimer: numbers may be estimations
Sorry to hear that Shelly,

What specifically was horrendous? Behaviour or are you finding it difficult to get across what it is you want them to learn? I'm doing secondary English PGCE so haven't been teaching solo for too long now but maybe I could give you some advice?
Just wanted to cut in to say, don't worry about planning. It does get easier with time. I used to spend 4 hours planning a lesson that would last 45 minutes - now I can plan a whole week within 2 hours!

The key is to keep to a structure that has clear outcomes and objectives. As long as you've got those in, the rest of the plan will fall into place. Key vocab and resources are good to include too. Google "The 5 minute lesson plan" if you're struggling :-)
I've yet to start teaching. I feel like I'm way behind!
Reply 2508
Original post by Mr Advice

Don't panic... That's just the way the uni have chosen to structure it. They will have based your lectures/workshops and professional development around teaching this way, as well as assignments. Use observation time wisely, it's like gold once you're fully qualified!!!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Every course/school is different. I wouldn't worry about it! When you feel ready to teach, make sure your mentor knows this :smile:

I felt behind before half term because I went to uni and loads of other people had been teaching full lessons already. Then I spoke to a few others who said they were still doing starters or observing, which made me feel a lot better!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was the same last year.

At my university we had an observation week 5th-9th November then started teaching on the 12th, so I felt left behind reading what people elsewhere were up to.

But everyone gets roughly the same number of teaching weeks across the course. I know people from some other universities got more time in uni in the middle of the course and at the end, whereas I think we only had one week in uni after we finished placement.

And I'd definitely second what kpwxx said about observing - now I'm an NQT I really wish I had the chance to observe other teachers more, and it's almost impossible!

I have the heaviest timetable in the department (I've got my NQT time - I teach 24 lessons out of a 30 period week - but the HoD and another member of staff have extra frees due to other responsibilities within the school, another is part-time, and another does one-to-one literacy support for some of their lessons) so there's never a time when I am free and other colleagues are teaching. I've done one observation where the school arranged cover, but I could really do with more at some point. I don't feel I know how people teach in this school, whereas before felt I knew what was expected.
Original post by kpwxx
I'll also point out when my mentor saw me cry that prompted her to realise I needed more examples for phonics and we went through lots of stuff and I felt much better about it. I obviously hadn't quite got my needs clear on that occasion so getting upset actually had a positive outcome.

Do you do shared writing to model? Not secondary myself but I will try to help if I can! Big if lol. What kind of level are the children at that you find modelling hard for?

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice. I feel a bit better after taking Saturday off to just hang out with friends. Yeah we are supposed to do supported writing, so the kids are meant to come up with some ideas and be contributing. I think anyway... I haven't really seen many examples of it and feel like I'm just kinda expected to know this stuff. They're mixed ability so some of them are extremely weak and some are very high level. It's tough to know how to pitch it.
Original post by Steveluis10
Sorry to hear that Shelly,

What specifically was horrendous? Behaviour or are you finding it difficult to get across what it is you want them to learn? I'm doing secondary English PGCE so haven't been teaching solo for too long now but maybe I could give you some advice?

Behaviour was fine actually, which was one of the only strengths I had. I'm having trouble explaining myself clearly and modelling the work for them. I think it boils down to lack of confidence in me being able to do this so the lesson I planned was pretty rubbish. It also was probably rubbish because I was absolutely exhausted when I planned it... I know I can plan good lessons because my year 7 ones are always good and my mentor for them thinks I'm at a very good place with them having only taught two full lessons for them.
Original post by Piggsil
I cried probably about 10000000000000000 times* in front of my mentors. I think it annoyed them, but it is genuinely a coping mechanism for me (I cry fairly easily). Don't worry, just take the feedback and show them you can listen to the comments you get.

*Disclaimer: numbers may be estimations

Thanks :smile: I am listening to comments and she was correct in everything she said about the lesson, I wish she hasn't kept repeating it though.
Hey, I almost had a melt down on Friday. I found myself talking a long time to demonstrate and explain things to the pupils. I realised that I was running out of time, I then rushed and the bell went and I hadn't given out the homework. So it was a nightmare at the end.

That lesson I had to get so much covered, including providing feedback on previous lesson and starting a new topic, doing a starter, demonstrating how to use new software, students experimenting with it and doing a set task as well as a plenary and self assessment on the task I has set them and a whole host of other things such as new seating plans etc.

I have now planned all my lessons for next week :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Behaviour was fine actually, which was one of the only strengths I had. I'm having trouble explaining myself clearly and modelling the work for them. I think it boils down to lack of confidence in me being able to do this so the lesson I planned was pretty rubbish. It also was probably rubbish because I was absolutely exhausted when I planned it... I know I can plan good lessons because my year 7 ones are always good and my mentor for them thinks I'm at a very good place with them having only taught two full lessons for them.

Well that's half the battle then if the behaviour is good!

I had a problem with my modelling/explaining last week with my year 7 class - basically my observing teacher just said you need to say what it is you want them to do (step by step, clearly) how long they have to do it and what you expect from them in that time frame (so one paragraph written for example). I feel my modelling was a lot better the next day for my year 8 class.

No doubt about it, teaching is difficult, there's so many different things you have to think about and when you're planning you might forget about something that's obvious so when it comes to the lesson some things might not go to plan.

As long as you have a good ethos in your classroom where pupils enjoy the atmosphere, understand the rules and produce work that shows some sort of progress (the key word in teaching at the minute I'm finding) then you'll be well on your way.

Let us know how it goes next time!
Reply 2516
I JUST WANT TO SLEEP! Instead I am up at 1.15, still making resources. I want to cry...
Original post by Emmabob
I JUST WANT TO SLEEP! Instead I am up at 1.15, still making resources. I want to cry...

Then sleep! No resource is worth more than a happy, healthy teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Emmabob

Original post by myblueheaven339
Then sleep! No resource is worth more than a happy, healthy teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree - you won't be able to use your resources well if you are exhausted! Hope you managed to get some sleep.

-----------

On another note, I had a breakthrough with my year 8 class who, compared to last week, were brilliant with me yesterday. Really boosted my confidence and my faith in teaching haha.

Got them again today and I said for their behaviour we could watch a few minutes of the film Elizabeth (related to the lesson) so hopefully they will realise that good behaviour is appreciated. Hopefully they can keep this up, because this is the class that my uni mentor will be observing two weeks today! :scared:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is everyone doing?

For those of you in early years or primary, what type of reward system do you use?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending