The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ZafarS
This is actually the first valid point I've heard. Of course, that's the risk, but that's why I was pretty specific in my PS.

How specific can that be ?still leaves a significant chance of that happening. It's basically a gamble, if you pull it off you'll stand out. If you don't you lose credibility.
I noticed that you mentioned partial differential equations. What books and stuff are you referring to for that topic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hasan24
yeah, i guess nervousness is just an automatic feeling after an exam. i'm so happy that i completely finished question 4 though.

I liked question four. Tiny bit of trigonometry. I wish the paper contained more of trig!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1402
Original post by Noble.
It isn't flawed. They know about other topics, but they aren't going to "out of the blue" test you on them. Tutors come up with their interview questions in advance, and carefully pick topics that doesn't require much knowledge (so they can teach you quickly) and questions you on it to gain some insight into your understanding and thought process. However, if you're in an interview and the tutor reads you're interested in something and decides to test you on it, the questions are not going to be so carefully picked and they're going to be picked in a much less "A-Level applicant" mindset, so they could unfairly pick quite advanced questions within that field without realising you'd need to do a significant amount of reading to get to a point where you could understand it.

Valid point. I agree.
Reply 1403
Original post by revelry26
How specific can that be ?still leaves a significant chance of that happening. It's basically a gamble, if you pull it off you'll stand out. If you don't you lose credibility.
I noticed that you mentioned partial differential equations. What books and stuff are you referring to for that topic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess we agree to disagree (that it is a gamble). I was specific to mention in which context I learned stuff. For example, PDEs for QM, so I'm guessing they realize mainly Schrodinger's equation for example. I actually used books and the internet. But my main book was Strauss. You can buy it for like 10 bucks online I believe.
Reply 1404
Original post by Noble.

In regards to "assuming we wouldn't know what we mention in our PS" - well souktik couldn't remember what connectedness was, which is a fundamental, basic concept in metric spaces. If someone wrote on their PS that they have been self-studying metric spaces and it turns out they don't understand what connectedness/compactness is, it doesn't look very impressive to a tutor.

:tongue: I still can't remember. I'll certainly be uncomfortable if they venture outside open/closed, convergence, completeness, continuous mappings, etc. By the way, what's the idea behind proving problem 2 with open sets? Is there any similarity to the analysis-like method?

Original post by ZafarS
Panicking can happen with any topic, not just topics you self-studied.

That's a valid point, but I'll personally get more nervous if they ask me stuff on metric spaces (which, as I mentioned in my PS, I just started before getting caught in school and olympiad work again) than combinatorics, number theory, calculus or even basic problems on real analysis. As you're absolutely comfortable with Fourier, Relativity and the other topics you mentioned, this doesn't apply to you. But there's always a limit to how much you've been exposed to in any topic and unless you're very specific in your PS, there's a risk of the tutor expecting more. This won't happen with standard topics as the tutors know how much you're supposed to know.
Reply 1405
Original post by souktik
:tongue: I still can't remember. I'll certainly be uncomfortable if they venture outside open/closed, convergence, completeness, continuous mappings, etc. By the way, what's the idea behind proving problem 2 with open sets? Is there any similarity to the analysis-like method?

That's a valid point, but I'll personally get more nervous if they ask me stuff on metric spaces (which, as I mentioned in my PS, I just started before getting caught in school and olympiad work again) than combinatorics, number theory, calculus or even basic problems on real analysis. As you're absolutely comfortable with Fourier, Relativity and the other topics you mentioned, this doesn't apply to you. But there's always a limit to how much you've been exposed to in any topic and unless you're very specific in your PS, there's a risk of the tutor expecting more. This won't happen with standard topics as the tutors know how much you're supposed to know.

Sorry, I was actually thinking of another question when I gave the hint on the last page or so.

For continuous f:RSf : R \rightarrow S and g:STg: S \rightarrow T:

The way of doing the second problem using open sets is by saying for any open subset WTW \subseteq T by continuity of gg we have that g1(W)g^{-1}(W) is open in SS, hence by continuity of ff, f1(g1(W)f^{-1}(g^{-1}(W) is open in RR. Hence (gf)1(W)(g \circ f)^{-1}(W), which equals f1(g1(W)f^{-1}(g^{-1}(W), is open in RR whenever WW is open in TT, so by definition of continuity in terms of open sets gf:RTg \circ f : R \rightarrow T is continuous.

Much nicer than messing around with ϵ\epsilons and δ\deltas - which is how you'd prove this for a real function in analysis.
Reply 1406
Original post by Noble.
Sorry, I was actually thinking of another question when I gave the hint on the last page or so.

For continuous f:RSf : R \rightarrow S and g:STg: S \rightarrow T:

The way of doing the second problem using open sets is by saying for any open subset WTW \subseteq T by continuity of gg we have that g1(W)g^{-1}(W) is open in SS, hence by continuity of ff, f1(g1(W)f^{-1}(g^{-1}(W) is open in RR. Hence (gf)1(W)(g \circ f)^{-1}(W), which equals f1(g1(W)f^{-1}(g^{-1}(W), is open in RR whenever WW is open in TT, so by definition of continuity in terms of open sets gf:RTg \circ f : R \rightarrow T is continuous.

Much nicer than messing around with ϵ\epsilons and δ\deltas - which is how you'd prove this for a real function in analysis.

Thanks, that's certainly much nicer than what I was doing. Should have thought of that. Metrics are not easy. :tongue:
Original post by yxcai
My answer for part 1 is
A a
B c
C d
D b
E d
F d(wrong, it should be a)
G d
H b
I b
J b

Do you agree with me?

Why isn't part F d?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1408
Original post by paddingtonfrisk
Why isn't part F d?

Posted from TSR Mobile

a =4, b = 2, c = 11 is a solution
GUYS DOES THE ADMISSiONS TUTOR HAVE ACCESS TO YOUR MARKS FOR EACH QUESTION? I SCREWED UP MULTIPLE CHOICE BUT DID MUCH BETTER LATER.
what was the answer to 1G?
Original post by nahomyemane778
GUYS DOES THE ADMISSiONS TUTOR HAVE ACCESS TO YOUR MARKS FOR EACH QUESTION? I SCREWED UP MULTIPLE CHOICE BUT DID MUCH BETTER LATER.

Same here. I favor proof-based abstract problems. But I'm not comfortable with computational problems and small tricks, like the less than 7 one. I made so many stupid mistakes.... Hopefully the interview is the most important part.
Reply 1412
Original post by tm_hughes
what was the answer to 1G?

(d)

You can either prove it by long division or by just performing it on p3,p4p_3, p_4 and seeing it must be (d).
Original post by ZafarS
I guess we agree to disagree (that it is a gamble). I was specific to mention in which context I learned stuff. For example, PDEs for QM, so I'm guessing they realize mainly Schrodinger's equation for example. I actually used books and the internet. But my main book was Strauss. You can buy it for like 10 bucks online I believe.

We agree to disagree :smile:
I just started PDEs a few days back but I'm using the MIT ocw lecture notes and they're proving to be a wee bit tricky. I shall check out Strauss now. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by souktik
Thanks, but I need to get introduced to just a little bit of group theory for a problem set anyway. Yeah, it'll be pretty disappointing if it turns out that I've messed up the MAT and I don't get an interview. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not saying dint learn new things, I'm saying don't learn new things expecting that to help you in your Oxford interview :smile:
Reply 1415
Original post by shamika
I'm not saying dint learn new things, I'm saying don't learn new things expecting that to help you in your Oxford interview :smile:

Okay, I won't be expecting that. :smile:
Computer science applicants..what were your answers to q6..
Reply 1417
Original post by pranay1995
Computer science applicants..what were your answers to q6..

I just got:
ii) Alice:3 and Bob:2
iii) Alice is 4

Correct me if I'm wrong :smile:
Original post by Yezi_L
I just got:
iii) Alice is 4

I thought Alice was 5?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1419
Original post by Yezi_L
I just got:
iii) Alice is 4

I got the same thing for iii), but I'm not sure about ii. If she has 3 and Bob has 2, she knows she has 3 after looking at Bob because it can't be 1. I thought it was Alice: 5

In both cases (Bob: 4/Bob:6), she would have 2 primes to choose from, therefore she doesn't know.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending