The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

I'm really struggling with the EPQ at the moment. My first idea clashed with my syllabus and my second I had to give up on because it got really overcomplicated and difficult and I didn't have enough resources on it. I'm finding it really hard to talk about something I'm interested in that doesn't clash with my subject syllabus'.
I'm taking english literature/language, philosophy and psychology. Any ideas?
Original post by crystal1234
I'm really struggling with the EPQ at the moment. My first idea clashed with my syllabus and my second I had to give up on because it got really overcomplicated and difficult and I didn't have enough resources on it. I'm finding it really hard to talk about something I'm interested in that doesn't clash with my subject syllabus'.
I'm taking english literature/language, philosophy and psychology. Any ideas?

Are you not allowed to cover topics which are on your subject syllabus?
Original post by Chantallehelm
Are you not allowed to cover topics which are on your subject syllabus?

We're advised to relate it to the subjects we're studying but not discuss anything actually on the syllabus. For example you couldn't do it on animal testing if you ever studied that in psychology.
Does anybody know if you can do an experiment for the EPQ. I wanted to do it on the classical and/or operant conditioning of fish(goldfish) but I am not sure if I'm allowed to do it. I want to do the EPQ on animal behaviour and this is he easiest thing I could come up with.
I'm studying Art, History, French and English Language at AS level, and i was also going to take German as a fifth option but my English teacher told me that i should consider taking EPQ instead of German.
I'm worried that EPQ will take up too much time, although i know that it's great for university applications....and I speak quite good German already, so maybe doing the AS level would be a bit pointless?
What should I do?????:confused:
I want to do medicine (surprise surprise) but was wondering how detailed to make my title?

I did some really interesting work experience in a cardiology department and want to write my EPQ along the lines of 'have new developments in cardiology been worthwhile or have they raised new ethical dilemmas that would otherwise have ceased to exist'
I would write about the use of animal tissues in heart valve replacements and the idea of how pacemakers can be hacked into

I could even go into how there is a global imbalance of these types of treatment and how do we fix it? Is it our job to develop the health care in developing countries to a decent standard or just worry about our latest pioneering surgeries?

Do you think this title would be accepted?

I'm doing AQA btw

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
I want to do medicine (surprise surprise) but was wondering how detailed to make my title?

I did some really interesting work experience in a cardiology department and want to write my EPQ along the lines of 'have new developments in cardiology been worthwhile or have they raised new ethical dilemmas that would otherwise have ceased to exist'
I would write about the use of animal tissues in heart valve replacements and the idea of how pacemakers can be hacked into

I could even go into how there is a global imbalance of these types of treatment and how do we fix it? Is it our job to develop the health care in developing countries to a decent standard or just worry about our latest pioneering surgeries?

Do you think this title would be accepted?

I'm doing AQA btw

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some people say, that much broader title is better, as you will have lots to write about, and give persuasive arguments on both sides, but I much prefer titles that are quite specific as they give you a clear focus and help you not to drift off too much, therefore I really like your title, and especially that you had some related work experience will make it more interesting :wink:
Original post by Obliviate
Some people say, that much broader title is better, as you will have lots to write about, and give persuasive arguments on both sides, but I much prefer titles that are quite specific as they give you a clear focus and help you not to drift off too much, therefore I really like your title, and especially that you had some related work experience will make it more interesting :wink:

Aha thank you! I really want to write this essay so I hope my title gets accepted, the only reason I think it wouldn't be accepted is because it's too complex? As in I'd need to research and get good of articles that I might not be able to get easily??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just finished my first dissertation draft, coming in at 10000 words.

Was a lot easier and more enjoyable than I expected once you get started.
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
Aha thank you! I really want to write this essay so I hope my title gets accepted, the only reason I think it wouldn't be accepted is because it's too complex? As in I'd need to research and get good of articles that I might not be able to get easily??

Posted from TSR Mobile

As long as you don't find it too complex and understand the main concepts, then I think you should be fine. Looking for good resources is always hard, you will just have to make the best use possible of what you will find.
Original post by Obliviate
As long as you don't find it too complex and understand the main concepts, then I think you should be fine. Looking for good resources is always hard, you will just have to make the best use possible of what you will find.

Alright, thank you again

I guess it's up to my supervisor now but I think I can show her I have resources and can access paid accounts because I have contacts practically all over the world :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophdaloaf
I'm studying Art, History, French and English Language at AS level, and i was also going to take German as a fifth option but my English teacher told me that i should consider taking EPQ instead of German.
I'm worried that EPQ will take up too much time, although i know that it's great for university applications....and I speak quite good German already, so maybe doing the AS level would be a bit pointless?
What should I do?????:confused:

Definitely EPQ, I predict that after discussion your English teacher will help you decide that is the most challenging and best option. I am sure you will have supportive (if not indecisive) friends doing the same, so you will get through it together! :biggrin:
I am currently completing a EPQ exploring the public perceptions of critical care in England and would be grateful is you could give just a minute to complete this survey, thanks :smile:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9P5F6BW
Original post by emiilywest
I am currently completing a EPQ exploring the public perceptions of critical care in England and would be grateful is you could give just a minute to complete this survey, thanks :smile:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9P5F6BW

Sure thing, just did it for ya. Well done on making a questionnaire that is the right length and the questions are totally answerable. Not a lot of people (even at A-Level) can make decent questionnaires.
Original post by AboveTheLine
Sure thing, just did it for ya. Well done on making a questionnaire that is the right length and the questions are totally answerable. Not a lot of people (even at A-Level) can make decent questionnaires.

Thanks, appreciate it!
How descriptive should the EPQ essay be? My current title is: "How significant was the Mau Mau uprising in Kenyan independence and shaping the decline of the British empire in Africa?". I've done a fair bit of the essay but I've realised that I'm just narrating what happened and not actually answering the question. However, if I don't give a description of what happened then the reader won't know what I'm actually talking about :frown:. I think I may have to rewrite the essay and have a 700 word introduction giving a brief description of events and then just answer it like a normal essay.

Would you say this sounds like the best way to go?
Original post by Lor-rah
I was thinking maybe, I want to a maths epq sorta related, could I do a tutorial of how to solve a Rubik's cube with like I don't know some maths about the Rubik's cube and all the combinations and gods number or should I just do something like why was solving fermats last theorm so significant in mathematics? Or why did it take over 350 years? Thanks for any help :smile:

I was interested to know if you had any success in Rubik's cube tutorials, I possess the same skills and as wondering f you had made this possible, thank you.
Hi, I'm doing research on prostate cancer treatments and I wanna do a qquestionnaire to find out what people think about radiotherapy and the surgery option.. Is there any way I can design a questionnaire to ask people, I mean, not many people are aware about the treatments available...? Any geniuses have any thoughts on what my questionnaire could ask people?? THANK YOU
Reply 4518
Finished the dissertation. Now doing the log, before ill touch on the evaluation.

The log is extremely tedious :yucky:
Original post by GorgeousGlamour
Hi, I'm doing research on prostate cancer treatments and I wanna do a qquestionnaire to find out what people think about radiotherapy and the surgery option.. Is there any way I can design a questionnaire to ask people, I mean, not many people are aware about the treatments available...? Any geniuses have any thoughts on what my questionnaire could ask people?? THANK YOU

I'm not sure a questionaire would be ideal since you'd probably have to give people a lot of information about the treatments. If you asked them 'what do you think about radiotherapy' they'd be clueless - if they had to undergo it in real life, a doctor would have to take a long time explaining it to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending