The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1480
Original post by revelry26
Do you guys think this is correct ?
Question two part twoImageUploadedByStudent Room1384196570.710528.jpg ImageUploadedByStudent Room1384196598.585415.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, I can't really understand what you did. :-/
It's probably because I'm using my phone and everything is really tiny, but I don't think our answers match, in any case. :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1481
Question two part twoImageUploadedByStudent Room1384196570.710528.jpg ImageUploadedByStudent Room1384196598.585415.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think we use the same method.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you are getting lost here and trying to be too complex. The picture is small and not very clear.

But I think you say f(t) = 1/(1-k) what is your reasoning behind this?
Reply 1483

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is your answer of the last question of part 2?
Reply 1484
Original post by yxcai
I think we use the same method.

Can you please explain how there's a k in part ii? I thought that the k was in part i alone. I'm pretty confused right now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1485
Original post by souktik
Can you please explain how there's a k in part ii? I thought that the k was in part i alone. I'm pretty confused right now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

g(t)=t, the RHS only has t but LHS=m(t)+n(k), so n(k) must be 0
Original post by souktik
To be honest, I can't really understand what you did. :-/
It's probably because I'm using my phone and everything is really tiny, but I don't think our answers match, in any case. :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are your answers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1487
Original post by yxcai
g(t)=t, the RHS only has t but LHS=m(t)+n(k), so n(k) must be 0

Where do you get m(t) and n(k)? I'm sorry, I'm not being able to follow at all. :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1488
Original post by souktik
Where do you get m(t) and n(k)? I'm sorry, I'm not being able to follow at all. :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can see g(t) in two parts. One part has t and k(m(t)), one part does not have t but has k (n(k))
Reply 1489
Original post by souktik

Posted from TSR Mobile

2.jpg
Reply 1490
What are your answers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't remember part i. For ii.a, I proved it by showing that if g(t)=t, g(1-t)=1-t, but 1 = t+(1-t) = g(t)+g(1-t) = f(t)-f(1-t)+f(1-t)-f(t) = 0. Clear contradiction, therefore g(t) can't be t.
2.ii.b. Replacing t by 1-t in the equation and adding, you get the condition g(t)+g(1-t)=0.
2.ii.b. f(t)=t.g(t) is a solution, in general, when the above condition is followed. So I got f(t)=t(2t-1)^3 as a valid solution.

Original post by yxcai
You can see g(t) in two parts. One part has t and k(m(t)), one part does not have t but has k (n(k))

What on earth is k? There's no k in the second part! :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
I think this example is very misleading. The MAT is an extremely important part of the shortlisting process (ie deciding who we invite to interview) for Computer Science. But yes we do look at all the information we have about a candidate.

When the test scores are in we draw a rough line in the sand. Last year that was 53. It's about the average score for those taking that set of questions that year. (We do also factor in contextualised GCSE scores here.) We interview pretty much everyone who gets over that line. The tutors also have the freedom to call for interview people who fall below that line, where they think there is good reason to. So, for example if someone was ill on the day of the test, or there was a family crisis, but their application otherwise looked strong, they could still be interviewed and ultimately offered a place.

Most people have similar grades for achieved AS (or equivalent) or predicted A2s. We interview and get to meet people so the personal statement isn't as important as with other universities. The MAT and interviews are therefore extremely important part of the application process. The MAT is one of the few mechanisms we have to fairly compare all of the applicants, no matter which educational system they have come through.

So yes, it is feasible that someone with a low MAT test score, who for reasons beyond their control performed badly on the day of the test, could be offered a place. But just because there is the odd case like this, it really doesn't mean that the MAT is unimportant for CompSci applications. It is.

The MAT is supposed to test for raw talent/ability, but I'd expect that fee-paying schools will be able to prepare their pupils better for it than state schools?
Reply 1492
Original post by souktik
I don't remember part i. For ii.a, I proved it by showing that if g(t)=t, g(1-t)=1-t, but 1 = t+(1-t) = g(t)+g(1-t) = f(t)-f(1-t)+f(1-t)-f(t) = 0. Clear contradiction, therefore g(t) can't be t.
2.ii.b. Replacing t by 1-t in the equation and adding, you get the condition g(t)+g(1-t)=0.
2.ii.b. f(t)=t.g(t) is a solution, in general, when the above condition is followed. So I got f(t)=t(2t-1)^3 as a valid solution.

What on earth is k? There's no k in the second part! :O

Posted from TSR Mobile

The following are the question.
(i) Let k not equal to ±1. The function f(t) satisfies the identity
f(t) kf(1 t) = t
for all values of t. By replacing t with 1 t, determine f(t).
(ii) Consider the new identity
f(t) f(1 t) = g(t). (∗)
(a) Show that no function f(t) satisfies (∗) when g(t) = t.
(b) What condition must the function g(t) satisfy for there to be a solution f(t) to (∗)?
(c) Find a solution f(t) to (∗) when g(t) = (2t 1)3
Reply 1493
Original post by yxcai
The following are the question.
(i) Let k not equal to ±1. The function f(t) satisfies the identity
f(t) kf(1 t) = t
for all values of t. By replacing t with 1 t, determine f(t).
(ii) Consider the new identity
f(t) f(1 t) = g(t). (∗)
(a) Show that no function f(t) satisfies (∗) when g(t) = t.
(b) What condition must the function g(t) satisfy for there to be a solution f(t) to (∗)?
(c) Find a solution f(t) to (∗) when g(t) = (2t 1)3

Yeah, I remember the questions. Please note that 2.i deals with a k, but you're working with a NEW identity for 2.ii. There's no k in 2.ii, I'm sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1494
Original post by souktik
Yeah, I remember the questions. Please note that 2.i deals with a k, but you're working with a NEW identity for 2.ii. There's no k in 2.ii, I'm sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But I think "NEW identity" should be based on i
Reply 1495
Original post by yxcai
But I think "NEW identity" should be based on i

It can't be based on i. You probably misinterpreted part ii, I think.
Anyway, I have a statistics exam in 6 hours and I need to catch a few hours of sleep. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1496
Original post by souktik
Anyway, I have a statistics exam in 6 hours and I need to catch a few hours of sleep. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:frown:So I will get 0 . I want cry!
Reply 1497
Original post by souktik

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will only get 70-75 for my mat.:frown:
Reply 1498
Original post by yxcai
:frown:So I will get 0 . I want cry!

You still have part i, and there's also the chance that I'M the one who is wrong. I don't want to entertain that thought in my head, but it's possible. Maybe one of the seniors will clarify if they notice...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1499
Original post by yxcai
I will only get 70-75 for my mat.:frown:

70-75 is above average for admitted candidates, so you don't have much to worry about. Cheer up! And as I said, maybe I'm wrong. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending