The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1500
Original post by souktik
You still have part i, and there's also the chance that I'M the one who is wrong. I don't want to entertain that thought in my head, but it's possible. Maybe one of the seniors will clarify if they notice...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really hope I can receive the interview
Reply 1501
Original post by souktik
70-75 is above average for admitted candidates, so you don't have much to worry about. Cheer up! And as I said, maybe I'm wrong. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile: thank you~
Reply 1502
Original post by yxcai
I really hope I can receive the interview

-_-
If you're scoring 70+, it's pretty obvious that you'll get the interview. Anyone above 55 is sure to get an interview, I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here's my solution to Q2 FWIW:

(i) f(t) - k f(1-t) = t, so f(1-t) - k f(t) = 1-t, so kf(1-t) -k^2 f(t) = k(1-t). Adding the first and last equation we get:
f(t) - k^2 f(t) = t - k(1-t)
So (1-k^2)f(t) = k + (1+k)t, so f(t)=k+(1+k)t1k2f(t) = \dfrac{k + (1+k)t}{1-k^2}.

(ii) (a) Whatever the function f, if we set t = 0.5 the LHS = 0 but the RHS = 1/2.
(b) Since the LHS changes sign on applying the map t -> 1-t, the RHS must also, so g(t) = -g(1-t) is necessary.
(c) Note that if g(t) = -g(1-t), then if f(t) = g(t) / 2 then f(t) - f(1-t) = (g(t) + g(t))/2 = g(t). So in this particular case, f(t)=12(2t1)3f(t) = \frac{1}{2} (2t-1)^3 works.
Reply 1504
Original post by souktik
Yeah, I remember the questions. Please note that 2.i deals with a k, but you're working with a NEW identity for 2.ii. There's no k in 2.ii, I'm sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i used k in part 2 (ii) a. for 2(i) by solving the 2 equatiosn simultaneously you get f(t)= (t +k(1-t) )/ (1-k^2).
so i took part 2(ii) as a special case of part 2(i) where k=1 . and then you get 1/0 .
do you think this is fine?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1505
Original post by DFranklin
Here's my solution to Q2 FWIW:

(i) f(t) - k f(1-t) = t, so f(1-t) - k f(t) = 1-t, so kf(1-t) -k^2 f(t) = k(1-t). Adding the first and last equation we get:
f(t) - k^2 f(t) = t - k(1-t)
So (1-k^2)f(t) = k + (1+k)t, so f(t)=k+(1+k)t1k2f(t) = \dfrac{k + (1+k)t}{1-k^2}.

(ii) (a) Whatever the function f, if we set t = 0.5 the LHS = 0 but the RHS = 1/2.
(b) Since the LHS changes sign on applying the map t -> 1-t, the RHS must also, so g(t) = -g(1-t) is necessary.
(c) Note that if g(t) = -g(1-t), then if f(t) = g(t) / 2 then f(t) - f(1-t) = (g(t) + g(t))/2 = g(t). So in this particular case, f(t)=12(2t1)3f(t) = \frac{1}{2} (2t-1)^3 works.

Thanks! I feel relieved now. :biggrin:
There's probably a minor calculation mistake in part i of your solution, though.
f(t) - k^2 f(t) = t + k(1-t)
So (1-k^2)f(t) = k + (1-k)t, so f(t)=k+(1k)t1k2f(t) = \dfrac{k + (1-k)t}{1-k^2}.

Original post by kapur
i used k in part 2 (ii) a. for 2(i) by solving the 2 equatiosn simultaneously you get f(t)= (t +k(1-t) )/ (1-k^2).
so i took part 2(ii) as a special case of part 2(i) where k=1 . and then you get 1/0 .

No. I think that's faulty reasoning, I'll explain as soon as I can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kapur

No. Dividing by zero leads to a singularity and therefore is just not allowed. It doesn't mean that something is not true. I have been trying to think of an example and I think the best I can do at the moment is x^2 - x = 0 when x = 0 is a valid solution but where dividing by x 'loses' this as a solution.

To show that something isn't true you assume that it is and then show that this leads to a contradiction such as 0 = 1.
Original post by jadoreétudier
The MAT is supposed to test for raw talent/ability, but I'd expect that fee-paying schools will be able to prepare their pupils better for it than state schools?

There's a lot of truth in that (although there are also non-fee-paying schools that prepare their students very well, and some fee-paying schools that prepare theirs less well). That's why we consider contextual information very carefully, both in short-listing and in making final decisions.
Original post by souktik
Thanks! I feel relieved now. :biggrin:
There's probably a minor calculation mistake in part i of your solution, though.
f(t) - k^2 f(t) = t + k(1-t)Yes, thanks. I'm never as good when going straight into TSR as opposed to pen and paper.
Reply 1509
wow I really messed up Q2
I think I was relying on 2(ii) to be a case of the first identity for k=1
Original post by sun_tzu
wow I really messed up Q2
I think I was relying on 2(ii) to be a case of the first identity for k=1

Same, ugh. I can't believe I missed k=-1 but I didn't do part i) properly so everything just cascaded

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jadoreétudier
The MAT is supposed to test for raw talent/ability, but I'd expect that fee-paying schools will be able to prepare their pupils better for it than state schools?

This is a huge generalisation. I'd like to think that my (state) sixth form college does a reasonable job in helping students to prepare for the MAT (and the STEP). It does come down to their efforts at trying questions however, We can give them hints when they are stuck, but unless they are prepared to put the time in to trying questions, telling them how to do them does not have much value.
Reply 1512
Which college are you applying to? Hope we won't crash...
Reply 1513
Original post by superhjd
Which college are you applying to? Hope we won't crash...

st hugh's college
Reply 1514
Original post by yxcai
st hugh's college

Me Worcester... Btw, why you said you will only get 70-75? According to your answers, it won't be below 80 which is really good
Reply 1515
Original post by superhjd
Me Worcester... Btw, why you said you will only get 70-75? According to your answers, it won't be below 80 which is really good

My part 2 is wrong~
Reply 1516
Original post by yxcai
My part 2 is wrong~

Only loss 12 since part i of question 2 seems correct
Reply 1517
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but I was wondering exactly what aspects of the MAT are used in the admissions process. Will the tutors only know the score, will they get a more detailed mark distribution, or will they see the paper itself? For example, will they see that I had the right idea on the last part of q4, and simply made a mistake with a trig identity? Or will they only see that I got 12/15 or 70 or whatever? The point of the test is to measure aptitude, but does anyone know whether that's based only on the score or on a more detailed analysis of a candidate's work and mistakes? I understand that it would be very time-consuming to evaluate the candidates in this way, and there are other pros and cons to doing it like that, which is why I'm not really sure which way the MAT is used.

I know I can't do anything to change it now, but I am curious to know the role of the MAT in the admissions decision. Thanks!
Original post by GMU10
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but I was wondering exactly what aspects of the MAT are used in the admissions process. Will the tutors only know the score, will they get a more detailed mark distribution, or will they see the paper itself? For example, will they see that I had the right idea on the last part of q4, and simply made a mistake with a trig identity? Or will they only see that I got 12/15 or 70 or whatever? The point of the test is to measure aptitude, but does anyone know whether that's based only on the score or on a more detailed analysis of a candidate's work and mistakes? I understand that it would be very time-consuming to evaluate the candidates in this way, and there are other pros and cons to doing it like that, which is why I'm not really sure which way the MAT is used.

I know I can't do anything to change it now, but I am curious to know the role of the MAT in the admissions decision. Thanks!

Tutors see all of the above. The breakdown of marks by question will be on the database that we use, so very easily available. The tutors at the first-choice college receive the paper (and other tutors can ask to see it). As you say, it's time-consuming to study every script in detail, but often scripts of border-line candidates will be looked at.
any1 applied to merton ?

Quick Reply

Latest