The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by buzfail
I keep seeing people moaning because their course is really competitive and there's like 8 applicants to every place... Last year there were 179 applicants for my course and 4 places... Yes FOUR. Meaning there were about 45 applicants per place. THAT's competitive, 8, 9, 10 applicants to each place is a walk in the park. Let's get some perspective here guys.

So what was the final outcome last year?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 1401
Original post by buzfail
I keep seeing people moaning because their course is really competitive and there's like 8 applicants to every place... Last year there were 179 applicants for my course and 4 places... Yes FOUR. Meaning there were about 45 applicants per place. THAT's competitive, 8, 9, 10 applicants to each place is a walk in the park. Let's get some perspective here guys.

Yes, but how good is the average applicant for that course compared to the average applicant for a course like straight economics or maths and economics? Just blindly looking at the numbers without context can be misleading
Reply 1402
Original post by Afsar_LSE
I applied to LSE for Economics and Economic History and have been confirmed a place. My GCSE's aren't the best and neither are my A Levels - but with your grades you're a shoo in (your personal statement and reference also weighs heavily when being considered).

GCSE's: 8A's 1A*
AS: History - 93% Economics - 88% Maths - 79% Further Maths (not recieved as of yet - dropped this at A2)

I was predicted A*A*A

Trust me, you have nothing to worry about, best of luck

Original post by RaeLiu
Hello! Congratulations to those who got their offers! Pleased to know they do give them this early! I thought all need to wait until Feb/March for an offer!

I applied to BSc Environmental Policy with Economics and on the first week of the 5 weeks.

There were only 62 applications in 2012 for this degree. So I wonder if my admission process might be a little bit different from those more competitive ones.

Anyone else applying to the environment department?

did you guys get emails or did your tracks update?
Reply 1403
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
So what was the final outcome last year?

Unsure what you mean by outcome, all I know is that 179 people applied for 4 places :frown:
Reply 1404
Original post by Giant
Yes, but how good is the average applicant for that course compared to the average applicant for a course like straight economics or maths and economics? Just blindly looking at the numbers without context can be misleading

Very true but I have no reason to believe the applicants were any worse than applicants for straight economics or economics and maths... You could argue if you wanted to that they were smarter than people doing a single degree like economics? Since there's the same level of economics in the degree but with politics on top of that. However the standard of applicants is probably the same standard it is for all the other degrees at LSE (ie high), it's just a popular one and they only had 4 places for it for some reason. Possibly because it's the closest course LSE do to Economics and Politics and it is, of course, The London School Of Economics and Political Science. The typical offer is still AAA and you still need to have an A in maths. Just mega competitive :frown:
Reply 1405
Has anyone got beyond their 5 weeks and not heard anything further? Or been told they'll need to wait longer for a decision?
Original post by buzfail
Errrrrm I think it's called social policy and economics but that might not be the exact title. I dunno why I did it to myself, at the time I thought ah that'll be fine no probs, and now that I've not heard from them and am in my 4th week of the 5 week email I'm freaking out waahhhhhh. What've you applied for?

Oh I'm sure you'll be fine! You'll probably be hearing from them soon if you're so far into your 5 week email, so good luck bro. I've applied for Maths with economics, I'm in the 2nd week of my 5 week email so I've still got a while to wait and I'm already checking track every single day hahah. I received my first offer from Edinburgh today though so that's given me some hope.
Reply 1407
What's this 5 week email business everyone's talking about?

I've applied for Sociology and they received my application this morning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1408
Original post by buzfail
Very true but I have no reason to believe the applicants were any worse than applicants for straight economics or economics and maths... You could argue if you wanted to that they were smarter than people doing a single degree like economics? Since there's the same level of economics in the degree but with politics on top of that. However the standard of applicants is probably the same standard it is for all the other degrees at LSE (ie high), it's just a popular one and they only had 4 places for it for some reason. Possibly because it's the closest course LSE do to Economics and Politics and it is, of course, The London School Of Economics and Political Science. The typical offer is still AAA and you still need to have an A in maths. Just mega competitive :frown:

The closest course the LSE offer to politics and economics is politics and economics! They just call their politics courses government! And yes, it is very competitive but that is not the course you're talking about...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1409
Original post by corax
What's this 5 week email business everyone's talking about?

I've applied for Sociology and they received my application this morning.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should receive an email in the next few days which says you will be updated on your application within 2 weeks. You can then either be rejected or carried through to the next stage which is the 5 week email... The consensus is that within this 5 week time frame you will get a final decision on your application :smile:
Reply 1410
Original post by ErHi?
You should receive an email in the next few days which says you will be updated on your application within 2 weeks. You can then either be rejected or carried through to the next stage which is the 5 week email... The consensus is that within this 5 week time frame you will get a final decision on your application :smile:

Ooh, interesting. I hope I make it past the two week email, eek

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1411
Original post by corax
Ooh, interesting. I hope I make it past the two week email, eek

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I'm sure you will :biggrin: I think it's usually people who don't meet the basic entry criteria and whose PS may just be way off for the course but I have no idea....
Reply 1412
Original post by buzfail

I know where your paranoia is coming from, but I have a feeling they don't just have 4 places, I think they a limited amount if places, but definitely not just 4, because it would be weird to have a course and then only allocate 4 place for it.

i believe it was because only 4 out of the 179 of them were LSE standard. There was another course with 62 applicants and only 1 admitted that year, which is crazy, numbers can be misleading.

So don't worry about it, if ur LSE standard Im sure you will get an offer
Not sure where this information about acceptance rates is coming from, but if it's from the course info on the LSE website, I'd just like to point out that those stats are the number of "First year students 2012"...this is the number of people who received offers AND ended up going there. This number does not include people who did not make their offers or chose another uni. So stay calm! Good luck all :smile:
Reply 1414
Original post by ErHi?

Do you know any applicants that have been rejected within the first 2 weeks of the acknowledgement email they received?
I'm four weeks into the five week email. I want an offer so bad:frown: did anyone receive a straight law offer recently?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boptothetop
I'm four weeks into the five week email. I want an offer so bad:frown: did anyone receive a straight law offer recently?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied for Law at LSE too. However, I only just got the application acknowledgement email yesterday. I feel so restless! I really want to know if I've made it or not, especially as people have applied much earlier. :frown:
Reply 1417
Original post by ErHi?
Haha I'm sure you will :biggrin: I think it's usually people who don't meet the basic entry criteria and whose PS may just be way off for the course but I have no idea....

Hm well I'm above the entry requirements, it's just that I have really average GCSE's compared to most people who are applying, which I think they may look down upon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Today is the end of my '5-week' period, still haven't received anything yet :/ I'll get a rejection I'm pretty sure!!

Applied for econ and econ history
Reply 1419
Original post by StudioBagel
Today is the end of my '5-week' period, still haven't received anything yet :/ I'll get a rejection I'm pretty sure!!

Applied for econ and econ history

Good luck! Believe yourself! offer maybe :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending