The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theosjs95
Yer exactly I really like Emma but I was worried about getting but apparently I have the grades (post-A-level) to get auto-pool so I may as well go for it. Oh right fair enough just apparently it gets the best grades, so I thought that equated to extra pressure.

I haven't experienced another college environment so I wouldn't really know, but I have heard plenty of stories from my friends at other colleges that would imply Emma is less pressured!

Oh right so you do live a little way out of the college in second year? So does that mean you are even further from the centre? Just the prospect of the second year accomo puts me off emma a little bit.

First off, Emma REALLY isn't far from the centre at all - quite the opposite, it's pretty much right in the centre of town. I know that it's not on King's Parade, but you have to remember that Cambridge is an incredibly small city. You can walk to King's Parade in about five minutes, and Emma is right by all the shops, restaurants and bars that most students frequent. Its location is really convenient for any kind of shopping you might want to do, but means that you aren't plagued by tourists like in other colleges because they always stick to King's Parade. The majority of Cambridge colleges are within a twenty minute radius.

Second year accommodation is mostly very close to college, and there are substantial numbers of rooms actually within the college grounds. A lot of colleges have buildings outside of the college walls for second years to live in for practical reasons, because most of the college sites don't have a huge amount of accommodation. I know that Emma were working to get as many students onsite as possible, but I don't know how far that work has progressed. Either way, whatever college you end up at presents a likelihood that you will be living in an external property for one of your years there, and not all colleges have properties as nearby as Emma's. Lots of people actually prefer it!

Oh ok fair enough, but would you say other colleges in closer proximity to each other like - for example - Caius and Trinity Hall interact more with each other? or do even the colleges in the centre keep themselves to themselves. Just I wanna try and meet as many people as possible.

No, they don't. As I say, Emma is extremely close to Downing and I think I knew one person from Downing in my entire time there. It's not like living next door to somebody - each college is a completely separate world. If you want to meet as many people as possible you need to get out and join societies, it's the easiest way. As long as you're friendly and sociable you shouldn't have any problems finding people from all different colleges to interact with.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 1721

No, they don't. As I say, Emma is extremely close to Downing and I think I knew one person from Downing in my entire time there. It's not like living next door to somebody - each college is a completely separate world. If you want to meet as many people as possible you need to get out and join societies, it's the easiest way. As long as you're friendly and sociable you shouldn't have any problems finding people from all different colleges to interact with.

Ahh right cheers thanks for the help!! Just wondering if many people go to the big bops in other colleges? Like at Queens or Clares, do people go to them even when they don't go to the college?
Original post by Zoedotdot
Barnwell :smile: There are quite a few places to live in second year, and Cambridge is so small that the longest you'll be walking is about fifteen minutes.

I've just heard that Barnwell has been converted to graduate accommodation. So I guess that leaves only Blantyre!
Reply 1723
Hey sorry if this has been covered but is anyone applying for philosophy?
I just realised today that I have two school concerts in Emma's week for interviews (I am an MML applicant), do you think if I let them know they could accommodate it somehow? I don't know whether they'd see this as a legit reason and I may have missed their deadline for interview requirements :s-smilie: A friend who's applied to Downing had the same problem but emailed them and they were fine with it - what do you guys think, is it worth a shot?:confused::confused:
Original post by iamnotthewalrus
I just realised today that I have two school concerts in Emma's week for interviews (I am an MML applicant), do you think if I let them know they could accommodate it somehow? I don't know whether they'd see this as a legit reason and I may have missed their deadline for interview requirements :s-smilie: A friend who's applied to Downing had the same problem but emailed them and they were fine with it - what do you guys think, is it worth a shot?:confused::confused:

It's worth a shot, the worst they will say is no. The chance of success depends on the subject. For example a popular subject may be interviewed over several days, and they might be able to slot you somewhere, but something like CompSci that is only interviewed over one day wouldn't be able to accommodate a change of date.
Original post by ukdragon37
It's worth a shot, the worst they will say is no. The chance of success depends on the subject. For example a popular subject may be interviewed over several days, and they might be able to slot you somewhere, but something like CompSci that is only interviewed over one day wouldn't be able to accommodate a change of date.

Okay thanks for your advice! I think relative to other subjects MML at Emma is not that popular, but I will at least give it a try! :crossedf:
Hoping to apply to Emma this year for MML :smile:
Reply 1728
Who got offers from emmanuel here?

Me! Engineering.

Engineering +1
I'm still debating between Oxford and Cambridge, but if I apply to Cambridge then I'd apply to Emma. My only problem is that for my subject (Japanese), Emma requires both written work AND a test at interview, whereas most colleges only require one of these. Is it still worth applying to Emma? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eternalritu
My room is X11, I believe.

Hi, I'm a fresher and got X11 in North Court. It seems that u used to live in X11. What's it like?
Reply 1733
I haven't gotten one yet, starting to worry, have you heard yet? I have applied for geography.
I have an interview for French and Arabic. So happy!! X)
Reply 1735
Original post by KnittyKitty
I have an interview for French and Arabic. So happy!! X)

Congratulations! When is it? I have an interview for French and Spanish on the 9th December. :smile:
I have an interview for German and Ab initio Russian on the 11th December!!!!! Yay!!! :smile: anyone else gonna be in Emmanuel on that day?
Original post by SvLy
Congratulations! When is it? I have an interview for French and Spanish on the 9th December. :smile:

Yes! That's when mine is! :smile: Will see you there (God, it's so soon! :/ )Are you staying overnight on Monday? (I'm really excited about breakfast.. :wink: )
Reply 1738
Original post by KnittyKitty
Yes! That's when mine is! :smile: Will see you there (God, it's so soon! :/ )Are you staying overnight on Monday? (I'm really excited about breakfast.. :wink: )

I know I'm so nervous! And no, I'm coming from London on Tuesday morning - in time for the test at 9am! Should hopefully see you; we should have some sort of meet up :wink:
Original post by SvLy
I know I'm so nervous! And no, I'm coming from London on Tuesday morning - in time for the test at 9am! Should hopefully see you; we should have some sort of meet up :wink:

Absolutely! :smile: Will definitely cross paths, I'm sure.

Is your test at 9? Mine's at 2pm - I assumed we'd be doing them all together? (Oh God, now I'm panicking I've got the time wrong... *desperately checks email...*)

Latest

Trending

Trending