The Student Room Group

MA Social work 2013

Hey sorry if there is already a thread. I have applied for MA/MSc Social work for 2014 at University of Leicester, University of Birmingham, University of Warwick. University of Bedfordshire and University of Nottingham. Today I have received an interview for leicester on Friday 29th November and I'm really excited. Yet I am really nervous so I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice about the interview process. I have dyslexia and even though I am currently working at a first level I find work hard if I don't do lots of research and prep. I understand the written exercise is first and this must be passed for me to be interviewed. So I'm wondering what the written exercise is structure etc any help would be appreciated. I've started research about current issues and also been advised to Read David Thompson understanding social work. People have told me I need a good understanding about social work, policies, skills and ethics etc so may help on these topics would be lovely to thanks

Current Manchester student - BSc sociology and criminology
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've been looking for a thread too. Thats amazing that you've applied so early! I'm still at the research and personal statement stage which is not fun.
Someone give advice please!
Reply 2
Yes I applied as soon as I could have an interview just wish I could gain some advice
Reply 3
hey, I've been looking for a thread as well and couldn't find one, I am also applying for a MA in social work, and I was wondering how many references people had, because some uni's seem to ask for two but UCAS only seems to let me have one? (p.s.i'm going to apply to UEA, Warwick, Sussex, Nottingham and Anglia Ruskin) :smile:
Reply 4
I sent my UCAS form off yesterday, I am applying for Birmingham, Warwick, Worcester, Plymouth and Leicester.
Did anyone else applying to Warwick get an email asking for transcripts? I am so confused as I am in my final year of my undergraduate degree and I haven't yet received my degree classification.
Hi everyone,

I'm applying to:

Bedfordshire
London Met
Middlesex
Hertforshire

I'm currently an education undergrad at UH but can't afford to do the MA here, even though I live round the corner. So frustrating. But Beds is my fave choice anyway, I really enjoyed the open day! Doing my UCAS this week... so nervous. Is this going to be our official support thread??
Reply 6
I sent my UCAS form away about 30 minutes ago haha

I'm applying to:

Stirling
Edinburgh
Glasgow Caledonian
Reply 7
I have my first interview at the end of the month anyone got any advice. I've been told to do done readings and others have told me to look at issues around social work today anyone help with this tried looking for articles but finding nothing am I looking in the wrong place
Reply 8
I'm looking into doing a MA Social Work too. Currently in my final year of an English Lit and Lang degree but have been considering this for the last two years. Has everyone got lots of relevant experience?
Reply 9
Original post by Katiehsocks
I'm looking into doing a MA Social Work too. Currently in my final year of an English Lit and Lang degree but have been considering this for the last two years. Has everyone got lots of relevant experience?

I have some experience not loads but already work in social care so work alongside social workers and have experience in a children's team working with service users.
Reply 10
I'm an MA student...started September. I'm not sure how much help I can offer as I'm in the North West and every Uni is different with ref to interview days.
My Uni believes in radical social work-bringing social workers back to the community.
Therefore, my interview was centred around anti-oppressive, anti-discriminatory and reflective practice. It's also keen on case studies and applying law and interventions as a social worker.
My advice right now would be to read Goves article in the Guardian and mention it in your interview, let them see you have an opinion and will be able to unite with other social work groups and challenge articles like this....at least I hope you find fault with if not all...most of the article.
My degree was English Language & Psychology...so I knew a lot of theories and social policy.
There's people who have their degree in history...but they researched in depth about the points above.
Hope a little of this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi!!! I'm applying for my MA too, just graduated from my Psychology degree and taking this year to build up my experience! I'm applying to my 2 local ones, Canterbury Christchurch uni and University of Kent (depending of funding of course!)
Reply 12
Hi!

Applied for plymouth MA tonight! I'm currently in a fairly well established youth work career but after years of pondering I'm making the change...as is my husband who will be doing the social work undergraduate at the same time. Bloody scary as we will both jack in the jobs and start again. We have a toddler and know it's not going to be easy but I'm excited, nervous and positive about trying something different. Now all I need is to get an interview, pass, get a bursary...etc etc but the form going in is the first step!

OP - may I suggest you ask your question on carespace? They have a students forum for social work that may be able to help :-)
Does anyone know when you would have to apply for a bursary and when you would know if you'd got it (this is for a course starting in either September 2014 or January 2015). The guidelines say to apply by 30th November but I can't work out whether that means for courses starting this year, or for next year's courses. :confused:
Reply 14
30th of November is the deadline for students doing the MA currently to receive the bursary. I'm currently in the process of sorting my personal statement and applying am i leaving it a bit late?
Original post by ben_91
30th of November is the deadline for students doing the MA currently to receive the bursary. I'm currently in the process of sorting my personal statement and applying am i leaving it a bit late?

So, if you are hoping to start in September 2014 or January 2015 you would apply for a bursary when you knew you had a place as long as you applied before November 2014?

When are you hoping to start your MA? If it's next September then I would think you would still have plenty of time.
Reply 16
Have many of you heard back from where you've applied to?

I've heard back from 2 now out of 5 one interview this week and another in feb next year.
Reply 17
I have received an interview for all 5 of my choices was meant to have leicester on Friday but had to rearrange Warwickshire in Wednesday and really struggling to find current issues can anyone point me to some links I've checked community care but feel I'm looking in the wrong area urls would be helpful

Also does anyone know what types of questions will be asked
Reply 18
Original post by cdu778
I have received an interview for all 5 of my choices was meant to have leicester on Friday but had to rearrange Warwickshire in Wednesday and really struggling to find current issues can anyone point me to some links I've checked community care but feel I'm looking in the wrong area urls would be helpful

Also does anyone know what types of questions will be asked

http://www.scie-socialcareonline.org.uk/default.asp
http://ifsw.org/policies/definition-of-social-work/

Secondly here is the link to Gove's article: http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/nov/12/michael-gove-reform-social-work

Here is the link to the academics response: http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/nov/13/gove-wrong-choices-social-work

Here is the link to Harry Ferguson's response to Gove: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/12/gove-social-workers-compassion-intellect-time

This next link takes you to Gove's article in Community Care on 12th Nov about privatisation of children's services: http://www.communitycare.co.uk/2013/11/12/government-keen-for-councils-to-outsource-child-protection/#.UoU1uxrIbjx
Reply 19
Original post by baboom
hey, I've been looking for a thread as well and couldn't find one, I am also applying for a MA in social work, and I was wondering how many references people had, because some uni's seem to ask for two but UCAS only seems to let me have one? (p.s.i'm going to apply to UEA, Warwick, Sussex, Nottingham and Anglia Ruskin) :smile:

I have a interview for warwick tomorrow its my first choice but cant find any information around the interviews have you found anything?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending