The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Epic Flawless

Original post by Mike_123
Are you an international applicant? congrats btw

Thank you guys. :smile:
No, I go to a school in the UK.
Got an offer from Warwick! A*AAa or A*AAB. Made up as they say on Merseyside!!
Reply 2042
Original post by Yllasjarvi

Gratz! GCSEs, AS, A2s, UMS, FM?
Original post by Chloe_P
Gratz! GCSEs, AS, A2s, UMS, FM?

Thanx. 9A*, AAAA, A*A*AA no Further Maths, 92% UMS.

Hey congrats. When did you send your UCAS?
Original post by Mike_123
Hey congrats. When did you send your UCAS?

8th October
Reply 2046
Just got an offer from Royal Holloway! They received my application last night and I got a conditional a few hours ago :biggrin:
This is for A joint BSc in Economics, Politics and International relations! Entry requirements were AAA-AAB but they've set me ABB! Sooooo happy! My first offer! ^.^ Thinking of making this my insurance. Is it any good?

All the best to everyone!! <3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ritikaaurora
Just got an offer from Royal Holloway! They received my application last night and I got a conditional a few hours ago :biggrin:
This is for A joint BSc in Economics, Politics and International relations! Entry requirements were AAA-AAB but they've set me ABB! Sooooo happy! My first offer! ^.^ Thinking of making this my insurance. Is it any good?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats on this. It's a good university but I'd wait until you get everything back before making anything an insurance.
Original post by TerribleTej

Edit: Also if you have an average of 93% across your AS subjects then you will automatically get pooled.

Only just saw this edit, where did you get this from?
Original post by PierreIsNotMyName

Here: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/appendices/winterpooltutors.pdf. Go to page 2 paragraph 3. Although Maths & FM is taken as 1 subject.
does anyone know any books i could read or anything i could do to improve my chances of getting into oxbridge, LSE or UCL? Anyone got anything i may have not thought of?
Original post by Millerman
does anyone know any books i could read or anything i could do to improve my chances of getting into oxbridge, LSE or UCL? Anyone got anything i may have not thought of?

Simply reading books won't improve your chances of getting into any university.
You can read any economics book and as long as you write about it in the correct manor in your personal statement, it doesn't matter what the book is, your chances will be the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2052
Thanx. 9A*, AAAA, A*A*AA no Further Maths, 92% UMS.

When did you apply? :smile:
Original post by Bloxorus
Simply reading books won't improve your chances of getting into any university.
You can read any economics book and as long as you write about it in the correct manor in your personal statement, it doesn't matter what the book is, your chances will be the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh okay, my teacher told me to read more.. should i then use examples of what I've read in my personal statement?
oh okay, my teacher told me to read more.. should i then use examples of what I've read in my personal statement?

Yeah, the general idea is to talk about what you have read in detail (what you liked/disliked about the book, criticisms etc) so there is no need to mention any more than 2-3 books. Although it's probably a good idea to read more than this just to enhance your economic understanding in general even if you don't use them all in your personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PierreIsNotMyName

Got this from asking one of the Cambridge admissions tutors on this site.
Reply 2056

Basically avoid the 'classic books' such as Wealth of Nations or Keynes General theory.... An Oxford interviewers apparently just told a former student at our school, why he bothered mentioning the old tales and why he did not just wiki them.

In your PS, you should find faults in the books and/or say how the book made you do xxxx.
Original post by Smko
When did you apply? :smile:

8th October
Reply 2058
Original post by Ritikaaurora

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied for holloway too, with their Economics Bsc offered at 'AAB' but they offered me AAB o.O

Whats your other applications to?
I just got an offer from York :smile: I'm really happy, it's AAB so it's likely to be my insurance but even if my other choices reject me (which I hope doesn't happen, but you never know) I'd still be really happy at York.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending