The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yllasjarvi
Got an offer from Warwick! A*AAa or A*AAB. Made up as they say on Merseyside!!

Glad to see a fellow Merseysider applying for Economics!
Reply 2081
Original post by Jkizer
I applied for holloway too, with their Economics Bsc offered at 'AAB' but they offered me AAB o.O

Whats your other applications to?

Congratulations in the offer! I applied for Economics, Politics and International Relations (BSc) here. It's my 3rd option!

Kings - BSc Politics of the International economy
SOAS - South Asian Studies and Economics (BA)
RHUL
Queen Mary's - Economics and Politics
City - International political economics!

(Funny how I don't do GovPol or History for A Levels though lol!)
I love these courses, particularly the ones that focus on the global economy.

How about you?
Well done and all the best!! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ritikaaurora
Congratulations in the offer! I applied for Economics, Politics and International Relations (BSc) here. It's my 3rd option!

Kings - BSc Politics of the International economy
SOAS - South Asian Studies and Economics (BA)
RHUL
Queen Mary's - Economics and Politics
City - International political economics!

(Funny how I don't do GovPol or History for A Levels though lol!)
I love these courses, particularly the ones that focus on the global economy.

How about you?
Well done and all the best!! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your applying for IPE at City aswell, do you know much about it? I literally can't find nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2083
Original post by Bloxorus
Simply reading books won't improve your chances of getting into any university.
You can read any economics book and as long as you write about it in the correct manor in your personal statement, it doesn't matter what the book is, your chances will be the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what??

Reading books will improve your application. It gives you a wider perspective of economics, much wider than your curriculum at A level. It will help especially in interviews, not so much on the personal statement.
Anyone else receive an email from Bristol saying that they're still considering your application? Just received it at 1am strangely
Original post by KD35
what??

Reading books will improve your application. It gives you a wider perspective of economics, much wider than your curriculum at A level. It will help especially in interviews, not so much on the personal statement.

What I meant by my first statement was that just reading books alone won't improve your chances, like you say, you'll have to apply what you read to A level economics, an interview or your personal statement.
What I meant after that was that it doesn't really matter what books you read (as the person I was replying to asked for books which would improve his chances) as long as you refer to them correctly in your personal statement.

Sorry I should have explained better to start with :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2086
Original post by monstercable
Anyone else receive an email from Bristol saying that they're still considering your application? Just received it at 1am strangely

Yeh i just got it. When did you send yours?
I agree with this, I've had to advise a few friends to actually apply what they have discovered. I then get told that they have literally only read a chapter and don't have a clue how to apply it ^_^. Otherwise, all books are good.

I was, however, told that admissions tutors are sick of hearing about 'Freakconomics' and The 'Undercover Economist.' :3

Personally, I discussed Mankiw's 'Macroeconomics' (the IS-LM model construction specifically) and NBER papers (finding Friedman's permanent income hypothesis). Application was easy as I used these to discuss my EPQ research.
Since a few people received offers from Bristol last night, I should really check myself. Here goes nothing...

EDIT: Got an offer! It arrived yesterday. Usual A*AA :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by abcd1711
Yeh i just got it. When did you send yours?

I sent mine on the 18th
Original post by NedStark
Since a few people received offers from Bristol last night, I should really check myself. Here goes nothing...

Congratulations! :biggrin: Still waiting on Bristol here :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NedStark

That's great, well done! :awesome:
Just received this information via email regarding my application to UCL:

'I intend to recommend that an offer be sent to you through UCAS in the near future. Before such an offer can be made and communicated, however, it is a UCL requirement that you attend an Open Day in the Economics Department.'

'I am afraid that if we have not heard from you [regarding Open Day attendance] by the deadline of Friday 22nd November 2013, we shall have to withdraw our intention to make you an offer.'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2093
Hey guys, do u know which university is better for economics, Bath or Bristol? Got offers from both and can't decide which one I should go for. And for those applying to Warwick, have u guys received any offers yet? I'm still waiting for Warwick. Fingers crossed:biggrin:
Original post by Coombsy
Just received this information via email regarding my application to UCL:

'I intend to recommend that an offer be sent to you through UCAS in the near future. Before such an offer can be made and communicated, however, it is a UCL requirement that you attend an Open Day in the Economics Department.'

'I am afraid that if we have not heard from you [regarding Open Day attendance] by the deadline of Friday 22nd November 2013, we shall have to withdraw our intention to make you an offer.'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations, looks like you've got yourself an offer :smile:

Thank you.

Yes, I just wanted to give people a heads up of the next stage in the application process as I hadn't seen someone get this email yet - or any response so far from UCL for Economics.
Original post by Coombsy
Thank you.

Yes, I just wanted to give people a heads up of the next stage in the application process as I hadn't seen someone get this email yet - or any response so far from UCL for Economics.

Thanks, and neither have I. You must be one of the first to receive it.
Original post by Ariza96
Hey guys, do u know which university is better for economics, Bath or Bristol? Got offers from both and can't decide which one I should go for. And for those applying to Warwick, have u guys received any offers yet? I'm still waiting for Warwick. Fingers crossed:biggrin:

In my opinion, if you compare Bristol and Bath w/ placement year then it's pretty much impossible to split them apart. I spent ages weighing the pros and cons of the two and in the end I went with Bristol. The course was more interesting in my opinion and if I thought about it, without the placement year Bath didn't appeal to me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2098

I just got that email! Had to read it about 7 times to understand it! Am so happy!
Original post by NewtoTSR
I just got that email! Had to read it about 7 times to understand it! Am so happy!

Congratulations to you too! I'm so jealous :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending