The Student Room Group

Durham, UCL, Glasgow, Bath and St. Andrews. Which is best for Psychology?

This is the BSc. Psychology Course.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump...
I think it matters more which would be the best for you. Have you looked at the modules for the different universities?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surely if you intend on studying psychology you would research yourself which university is the best (for you)?
I applied to Bath and UCL, I put Bath as my insurance because I decided I didn't want to go to London. Bath's good as it has the placement year which is helpful if you want to do postgraduate study in psychology. I liked that with UCL you could take modules from outside the department.

Bath and UCL are ranked very highly for psychology (when I looked at league tables last year I think UCL was 1st and Bath was 4th). Overall it's where you would be happiest that matters.
Reply 5
Original post by Coffeetime
I think it matters more which would be the best for you. Have you looked at the modules for the different universities?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I have and they all seem equally interesting to me, so I wanted to get an outside opinion :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Pavzky
Surely if you intend on studying psychology you would research yourself which university is the best (for you)?

Of course I have, but I just want other people's opinions on it.
Reply 7
Original post by x__justmyluck
I applied to Bath and UCL, I put Bath as my insurance because I decided I didn't want to go to London. Bath's good as it has the placement year which is helpful if you want to do postgraduate study in psychology. I liked that with UCL you could take modules from outside the department.

Bath and UCL are ranked very highly for psychology (when I looked at league tables last year I think UCL was 1st and Bath was 4th). Overall it's where you would be happiest that matters.

Bath was your insurance, so what was your firm?

I do want to go into postgrad study in psychology and am eagerly waiting for Bath's reply.

League Tables seem totally random. If one has UCL as 1st and Bath as 4th, another has Bath as 3rd and UCL as 4th, so I'm not looking at that much.

What about the others? Durham, Glasgow and St. Andrews?
London and Glasgow are both very different to Bath, Durham and St. Andrews, so it depends which you prefer. I have no idea about Psychology but when I was choosing to study my degree I looked at the degree but also the city/town of the university as this is often just as important and try to get the best combination of both. Unless of course you dont care about the course or the location. Theres no point asking other people, they wont be studying there for the next 3/4 years or living there, so their opinion means nothing.

Have you been to visit any? Maybe you should do that to help you decide.
Reply 9
As for the quality of the course, they are all similar and very good. I would base your decision on other factors e.g. the location of the unis and the surrounding town. St Andrews are Durham are small towns and cities compared with London and Glasgow. Very beautiful, nice countryside around, but very insular and studenty.
Original post by Arkansin
Bath was your insurance, so what was your firm?

I do want to go into postgrad study in psychology and am eagerly waiting for Bath's reply.

League Tables seem totally random. If one has UCL as 1st and Bath as 4th, another has Bath as 3rd and UCL as 4th, so I'm not looking at that much.

What about the others? Durham, Glasgow and St. Andrews?

My firm was Oxford, it was a bit of a risk to put Bath as my insurance because they wanted A*AA same as Oxford but I was hoping they'd take me with AAA and my extenuating circumstances that they were informed of prior to results day. My UCL offer was AAA but as I said I'd already decided against moving to London.

Yep, take league tables with a pinch of salt, they consistently rank the UCL and Bath courses in the top few in the country which is enough of a guide.

I didn't look into Durham, Glasgow or St. Andrews as I didn't want to go that far north.
This is the BSc. Psychology Course.

London is an amazing city although can be overwhelming at times and expensive to live in. Glasgow is a sizeable city, but not too busy and easy to get around. It is also a short distance away from really nice countryside, so you can enjoy the best of both worlds.

I'd recommend you either visit each of these places, or whittle your choices down to two or three universities and then visit them. Only then, will you know which you prefer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by hypercaine.
London and Glasgow are both very different to Bath, Durham and St. Andrews, so it depends which you prefer. I have no idea about Psychology but when I was choosing to study my degree I looked at the degree but also the city/town of the university as this is often just as important and try to get the best combination of both. Unless of course you dont care about the course or the location. Theres no point asking other people, they wont be studying there for the next 3/4 years or living there, so their opinion means nothing.

Have you been to visit any? Maybe you should do that to help you decide.

The problem is I can't visit them. I am an international student and that would incur huge costs.
Again, obviously the decision is mine, but any information I can get from others who have either done their own research or are attending/ have attended the Unis will help a lot. That is the point of starting this thread.
Reply 13
Original post by chazwomaq
As for the quality of the course, they are all similar and very good. I would base your decision on other factors e.g. the location of the unis and the surrounding town. St Andrews are Durham are small towns and cities compared with London and Glasgow. Very beautiful, nice countryside around, but very insular and studenty.

I actually don't know which kind of atmosphere I will prefer. I have lived in a sizeable city all my life but wouldn't mind getting a different sort of experience for the three/four years seeing as I will probably live in london later in life anyways. Did you attend any of these yourself? If so, how was your experience?
Reply 14
Original post by x__justmyluck
My firm was Oxford, it was a bit of a risk to put Bath as my insurance because they wanted A*AA same as Oxford but I was hoping they'd take me with AAA and my extenuating circumstances that they were informed of prior to results day. My UCL offer was AAA but as I said I'd already decided against moving to London.

Yep, take league tables with a pinch of salt, they consistently rank the UCL and Bath courses in the top few in the country which is enough of a guide.

I didn't look into Durham, Glasgow or St. Andrews as I didn't want to go that far north.

I'm sorry if you've already answered this, but which one did you actually end up attending? From what you're saying it seems like you attended/ are attending Bath. How has your experience been with the Uni and the city?
Reply 15
I also thought I might add something.

I will be looking to do my Masters in the US and so the international rep of the University does matter a lot. I have read here previously that UCL, Durham and Andrews enjoy similar rep almost everywhere, where as Glasgow and Bath are slightly lower. To what extent is this true and is looking at rep seriously the right thing to do?
I'm sorry if you've already answered this, but which one did you actually end up attending? From what you're saying it seems like you attended/ are attending Bath. How has your experience been with the Uni and the city?

I'm at Oxford, I do know quite a few people at Bath though. It's a smallish city, the night life isn't as great as it would be in a big city. The campus is a bit outside of the city so in second and third years it might be a bit of a hassle to get to compared to city centre unis. Erm not sure what else to tell you, you could ask more specific questions in the Bath forum. Tbh the best thing to do would be go to an open day :smile:.
The problem is I can't visit them. I am an international student and that would incur huge costs.
Again, obviously the decision is mine, but any information I can get from others who have either done their own research or are attending/ have attended the Unis will help a lot. That is the point of starting this thread.

Well I'm also international (American) and of the ones you mentioned, I'm going to apply to Durham. I like the sound of the university. It's one of the safest universities in England, and the program I'm going to go for sounds great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Coffeetime
Well I'm also international (American) and of the ones you mentioned, I'm going to apply to Durham. I like the sound of the university. It's one of the safest universities in England, and the program I'm going to go for sounds great.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great! is it a well known University where you live?
If you're interested in prestige the most well known and highly regarded of your choices is UCL.

Quick Reply

Latest