The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1060
To all students applying to Medicine or Dentistry this year this event is for you!

Run by the new Tamil Students Initiative (TSI), a collaboration of University Tamil Societies from all over the UK, this workshop is open to any prospective medical and dental student in Year 13 or current university students applying this year. Interviews and workshops will be run by current medical and dental students from all over London and Cambridge.

https://www.facebook.com/events/178543395680949/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular
Original post by Philippamalko
i had a fairly standard email confirmation for medicine at newcastle except it was titled '2nd acknowledgement of application' despite me having had no prior contact from them (i've checked my spam folder etc) , has this happened to anyone else?

I got the same email, they probably just sent it in case people hadn't seen the initial confirmation email
Original post by Medicine Boy
I got the same email, they probably just sent it in case people hadn't seen the initial confirmation email

thats what im saying i didnt get an initial confirmation email, what did it say?

(edit: sorry didnt realise you were saying the two emails were the same)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1063
thats what im saying i didnt get an initial confirmation email, what did it say?

Exactly the same. I got the initial one and then the 2nd one a few days later. They were otherwise identical

Just said your applicAtion will be considered by the admissions tutor, keep checking your emails and Ontrak and how the time they take will vary. It wasn't a medicine specifc email just for all Newcastle uni applicants
Hiya everyone. I'm trying to fill in the work experience form for dundee and was wondering if anyone who did the Doctors at Work work experience course knew the details of the lady who organised it (I think her name was Lesley?) Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know when newcastle start handing out interviews???
Does anyone know when newcastle start handing out interviews???

About 12 hours ago
Original post by MrSupernova
About 12 hours ago

wow that was quick! do they do them in batches like others?
wow that was quick! do they do them in batches like others?

Yeah, they seem to be doing it in descending order, with those who have the highest UKCAT getting one first. I saw someone on here say they've got an interview at Newcastle on the 20th of this month!!!
Yeah, they seem to be doing it in descending order, with those who have the highest UKCAT getting one first. I saw someone on here say they've got an interview at Newcastle on the 20th of this month!!!

In your opinion is my score of 767.5 likely to be easily above the ukcat threshold
In your opinion is my score of 767.5 likely to be easily above the ukcat threshold

I wouldn't say "easily", but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't. The thing I'd be worried about if I were you is the fact that they appear to be interviewing in order of UKCAT score (rather than randomly like they used to), as they might be giving out offers 'first come first served' until they run out of places (like Southampton are doing this year) rather than waiting until they've seen everyone. Then again, they said nothing to indicate that they were planning on doing this at the open day, so you should be fine.
I wouldn't say "easily", but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't. The thing I'd be worried about if I were you is the fact that they appear to be interviewing in order of UKCAT score (rather than randomly like they used to), as they might be giving out offers 'first come first served' until they run out of places (like Southampton are doing this year) rather than waiting until they've seen everyone. Then again, they said nothing to indicate that they were planning on doing this at the open day, so you should be fine.

Thanks, I'm not taking anything for granted because the ukcat average went up by around 35 this year, but seeing as newcastle's cut off was 695 last year I should be fine

newcastle said once at the interview stage ukcat score is ignored so no extra advantage there but I see your point about the offers, But as long as I get an interview I have a chance, my ukcat score is clearly in the top 10% nationally so if be suprised too

have you applied to newcastle
Original post by jeeano
To all students applying to Medicine or Dentistry this year this event is for you!

Run by the new Tamil Students Initiative (TSI), a collaboration of University Tamil Societies from all over the UK, this workshop is open to any prospective medical and dental student in Year 13 or current university students applying this year. Interviews and workshops will be run by current medical and dental students from all over London and Cambridge.

https://www.facebook.com/events/178543395680949/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular

Hi, I'm a dental applicant and I was wondering if the workshop was free? And if so, how do i sign up? Thanks
Thanks, I'm not taking anything for granted because the ukcat average went up by around 35 this year, but seeing as newcastle's cut off was 695 last year I should be fine

newcastle said once at the interview stage ukcat score is ignored so no extra advantage there but I see your point about the offers, But as long as I get an interview I have a chance, my ukcat score is clearly in the top 10% nationally so if be suprised too

have you applied to newcastle

Yeah, I applied to Newcastle. My UKCAT is 810 but I haven't heard anything yet.
Reply 1075
Does anyone know when King's, Queen Mary, East Anglia and Hull York medical school start to give out interviews?
Original post by SS15
Does anyone know when King's, Queen Mary, East Anglia and Hull York medical school start to give out interviews?

I haven't heard about anyone getting interviews from any of those, the best thing to do is check their websites, it'll always tell you on there:smile:
Hey i was just wondering has there been a recent court case ( eg: tony nicklinson) related to medicine?????? I cant find any myself is it possible i have missed something???
Original post by Sushi123
Hey i was just wondering has there been a recent court case ( eg: tony nicklinson) related to medicine?????? I cant find any myself is it possible i have missed something???

Perhaps the case of the girl whose parents disagreed about whether to give her the MMR vaccine?

Or the case where a mother refused to consent to intervention for her son's brain tumour and the Court overruled her...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just got an invite for interview from Plymouth- yay!!!
:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending