The Student Room Group

A-Level choices for Law degree

Hello everyone!
I've just recently joined The Student Room and i am seeking advice about my A Level choice after i complete y GCSE's.As you can tell from the title of this post i want to do a law degree and i am aiming for the top uni's (e.g. UCL, LSE etc.) and so i know it is important i make the right subject choices.
So far i basically know the first three A Levels i am going to study but i am having trouble picking the fourth subject choice.
The subjects i have picked so far are pretty strong (in my opinion) and they are:
English Literature
History
Government & Politics
My fourth choice is giving me trouble and i am considering several A Levels. They are:
Physcology
Economics
Physics
Chemistry
Now i know that chemistry and physics are not related to law, but the teachers at my school for A Level are really good and i enjoy it, and also i dont think choosing either chemistry or physics will deter my chances by much as they are strong academic subjects after all.
What do you guys think i should take as my fourth choice?
I'm not too keen on economics. Dont know about psychology (so im neutral to it) but im particularly keen on doing chemistry or physics. What i really want to know is that will i deter my chances of getting into a top uni by doing a science subject? And are my other choices good enough? And also what GCSE grades should i try to get to be considered for these uni's?
Any other advice and feedback would be great :smile:
Cheers
Reply 1
Original post by m0hd_J
Hello everyone!
I've just recently joined The Student Room and i am seeking advice about my A Level choice after i complete y GCSE's.As you can tell from the title of this post i want to do a law degree and i am aiming for the top uni's (e.g. UCL, LSE etc.) and so i know it is important i make the right subject choices.
So far i basically know the first three A Levels i am going to study but i am having trouble picking the fourth subject choice.
The subjects i have picked so far are pretty strong (in my opinion) and they are:
English Literature
History
Government & Politics
My fourth choice is giving me trouble and i am considering several A Levels. They are:
Physcology
Economics
Physics
Chemistry
Now i know that chemistry and physics are not related to law, but the teachers at my school for A Level are really good and i enjoy it, and also i dont think choosing either chemistry or physics will deter my chances by much as they are strong academic subjects after all.
What do you guys think i should take as my fourth choice?
I'm not too keen on economics. Dont know about psychology (so im neutral to it) but im particularly keen on doing chemistry or physics. What i really want to know is that will i deter my chances of getting into a top uni by doing a science subject? And are my other choices good enough? And also what GCSE grades should i try to get to be considered for these uni's?
Any other advice and feedback would be great :smile:
Cheers

Sciences rock for Law. All law schools will be happy to take people with subjects like Maths, Biology, Chemistry etc.

The skills you get from them are probably more valuable than any other subject (Except perhaps History/English :redface:)
Reply 2
Original post by Jkizer
Sciences rock for Law. All law schools will be happy to take people with subjects like Maths, Biology, Chemistry etc.

The skills you get from them are probably more valuable than any other subject (Except perhaps History/English :redface:)

Thanks for the reply. So you do think it is good to take either chemistry or physics then? I'm just worried cos when I tell my friends my potential subject choices and career choice they say I shouldn't do the science. But then I remind them of how uni's like a range of subjects.... But then again, you need to be careful how widely ranged your subjects are, but I've never been too worried about chemistry or physics cos they are really strong academic subjects.
Once again, thanks for the reply !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by m0hd_J
Thanks for the reply. So you do think it is good to take either chemistry or physics then? I'm just worried cos when I tell my friends my potential subject choices and career choice they say I shouldn't do the science. But then I remind them of how uni's like a range of subjects.... But then again, you need to be careful how widely ranged your subjects are, but I've never been too worried about chemistry or physics cos they are really strong academic subjects.
Once again, thanks for the reply !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Either is fine really. Depends what your skills are like. Both are fairly tricky at A level. Having the science just shows off the all around skills you have. Screw your mates :smile:
I know one dude in my year applying to LSE, Cambridge and a few others with Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry. From what i hear, mathematical and logical type of subjects like Chemistry and Physics are more helpful with the skills they teach according to several current law undergrads o.O (I think he mentioned that LSE 'apparantly' told him their favourite subjects for their Law applications are logical subjects like Sciences and Maths).

May also be worthy emailing LSE about your choices too. Gcses wise, your probably gonna have to get (something) like 5 A*s at least to be in good contention. Obviously some get offers with less and others get rejected with more.
Reply 4
Original post by Jkizer
Either is fine really. Depends what your skills are like. Both are fairly tricky at A level. Having the science just shows off the all around skills you have. Screw your mates :smile:
I know one dude in my year applying to LSE, Cambridge and a few others with Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry. From what i hear, mathematical and logical type of subjects like Chemistry and Physics are more helpful with the skills they teach according to several current law undergrads o.O (I think he mentioned that LSE 'apparantly' told him their favourite subjects for their Law applications are logical subjects like Sciences and Maths).

May also be worthy emailing LSE about your choices too. Gcses wise, your probably gonna have to get (something) like 5 A*s at least to be in good contention. Obviously some get offers with less and others get rejected with more.

Thanks. I probably will email the uni's at some point. I thought about taking mathematics, but I'm not comfortable enough with it to do it for my A Levels, therefore I'm choosing a science that I'm good at in physics or chemistry.
Does the school you go to matter? Cos I go to a poor/average comprehensive school, so if I get results which are very good compared to the average students (which are most students in my school!) will the uni take this into consideration?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by m0hd_J
Thanks. I probably will email the uni's at some point. I thought about taking mathematics, but I'm not comfortable enough with it to do it for my A Levels, therefore I'm choosing a science that I'm good at in physics or chemistry.
Does the school you go to matter? Cos I go to a poor/average comprehensive school, so if I get results which are very good compared to the average students (which are most students in my school!) will the uni take this into consideration?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure they will take into consideration. I think if you search around the internet enough, you can find a list of 'contextual offers schools'. I saw a list by Bristol university which they considered 'contextual' worthy, I guess you could look around for that. Obviously not all universities will give lower offers but it gives you a rough idea on if you will get extra consideration.
Just be weary that you still need very very good gcses, since outstanding students will be able to use initiative and independently learn effectively.

I'm surprised your good at physics and not so on maths. :redface:. I always found physics to be much tougher! (I hear majority of people would say physics is harder as well at AS!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Jkizer
Sure they will take into consideration. I think if you search around the internet enough, you can find a list of 'contextual offers schools'. I saw a list by Bristol university which they considered 'contextual' worthy, I guess you could look around for that. Obviously not all universities will give lower offers but it gives you a rough idea on if you will get extra consideration.
Just be weary that you still need very very good gcses, since outstanding students will be able to use initiative and independently learn effectively.

I'm surprised your good at physics and not so on maths. :redface:. I always found physics to be much tougher! (I hear majority of people would say physics is harder as well at AS!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm decent at maths, but I get lost a lot of the time with algebra and finding volumes of shapes etc. physics on the other hand mainly has set formulas and they're relatively simple. Also my teachers have an impact, because my maths teacher is useless, but my physics and chemistry teachers are the top in the country and make everything seem so simple. That's why I'm mainly considering between these two subjects as my fourth choice. Cos my teachers in these subjects are really great and I know they will help me achieve high grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest