The Student Room Group

I'm considering getting a personal trainer. Should I get one?

I'm considering getting a personal trainer to help motivate me and push me in the gym. I go to the gym on my own. When I first started out, I had a lot of motivation. I would go to the gym several times a week and I enjoyed seeing changes in my body. These days, going to the gym feels like a chore. I have stresses in my life which are getting in the way of the gym and making me lose motivation. I used to feel great after gym sessions but these days after each session, it feels like I've been hit by a bus and I feel 'out of it' for a while. I have to collapse on my bed, resting for up to a few hours. It's no longer enjoyable. I no longer have that spark or motivation. I think getting a personal trainer would really benefit me.

Do people have experience of personal trainers? How good are they and what prices would I be looking at? I'd like a balanced opinion please, not a sweeping statement like 'PTs are awful/waste of money/if you can't motivate yourself you will never succeed' or any of that bull****.

Scroll to see replies

No
You can't pay for a PT every session. Are you not going to train if you feel crap then?
Reply 3
PTs are awful/waste of money/if you can't motivate yourself you will never succeed
Reply 4
Original post by nopenopenope
No
Can you explain why you think this?

Original post by AreebWithaHat
You can't pay for a PT every session. Are you not going to train if you feel crap then?
Why can't I? What are prices for a PT like? Maybe some gyms have PTs that do it for a discounted price if you're a member.

Original post by KingKumar
PTs are awful/waste of money/if you can't motivate yourself you will never succeed
If you're not trolling, can you explain why you believe that?
I have seen good and bad PT. It depends on where you live as to the cost. I think they are at least £40 and I have seen £100+/hour in London. You can almost certainly find cheaper elsewhere.

Most PT are not very good in my experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Bassetts

Why can't I? What are prices for a PT like? Maybe some gyms have PTs that do it for a discounted price if you're a member.

I am trolling - its an exact copy of what you told everyone not to say.
Reply 8
You're posting a video with guys on steroids, expecting me to be somehow motivated after watching that? :rolleyes:
You're posting a video with guys on steroids, expecting me to be somehow motivated after watching that? :rolleyes:

Lol at steroids. This guys been lifting for 32 years

So you want a PT to motivate you when you can't be arsed? Sounds expensive to me. What about a reliable gym partner?
If you 'need' a PT and are medically healthy, you aren't going to make it.
Reply 12
So you want a PT to motivate you when you can't be arsed? Sounds expensive to me. What about a reliable gym partner?
i have lost my spark and hunger for the gym but when i first started out, i had it in spades. a PT will help me get my passion back and on the right course.

i dont have any friends so i cant get a gym partner. chatting to people in the gym and trying to make friends there has never worked, they are either arrogant pricks who think they're superior to you, or they just dont want to make friends with me.

Steroids or no steroids, CT is a beast. You could learn a thing or too about not being such a little bitch, you white bread eating mother-****er.
Original post by techno-thriller
Lol at steroids. This guys been lifting for 32 years

IMO he's on some kind of PED

he's still pretty cool tho, still takes hard work etc
Reply 15
No. Overexpensive and unnecessary.

You won't have a PT by your side to motivate you for everything so you need your own self-motivation - maybe stick up a picture of a physique you wish to reach or get some realistic but also ambitious goals written down.
Original post by nopenopenope
IMO he's on some kind of PED

he's still pretty cool tho, still takes hard work etc

how much are you pulling in your avatar?

Oh no, that's not me haha. Wish I could c&j that much, it's Hysen Pulaku an Albanian weightlifter. I can't remember how much he was lifting in that though, sorry :frown:

I don't know about you, but I don't want to look that muscly. I want to be lean instead. Also, he sounds like he's "bigorexic"

I misread that as 'anavar' and got exited :frown:

Quick Reply