The Student Room Group

Feel like I have messed up?

Hi, I'm new to the Student Room, but I feel like I have really messed up in my subject choice. I am currently doing Chemistry, Biology, Economics and Business Studies. At the moment I am interested in doing a Chemistry degree, but you can imagine my shock when I researched the degree and found out that concepts from A Level Maths are used in it! I did the C1 module of AS Maths in Year 11 and got a D in it, which put me off retaking it as I thought I would just get a lower grade in the other modules as they are harder. This made me chose Business Studies as it sounds interesting and didn't seem too difficult that it would reduce my potential grades for Chemistry Biology and Economics.
I really enjoy Chemistry and Biology at the moment, the reason for why I want to do a chemistry degree. Can any of you help me in this? Is there a huge amount of maths involved in a Chemistry degree or could I revise a maths for chemists textbook over the summer before I go uni to bring me up to a required standard?
Would this be enough? I only realised how really soft a Business Studies a level really is and the need for maths about 4-5 weeks into the term, so I couldn't change. The options I seem to have is to somehow persuade my school to change at this stage, which most likely would mean I would fail my other subjects, I could pick up the Maths AS next year but it might be detrimental to my other subjects at A2. Finally, I could take a gap year and work on my maths then to bring it up to what is needed.
What are you thoughts on this guys? How useful would AS maths be in a chemistry degree? I really need help, I really feel like I have messed up my chances and disadvantaged myself greatly to pursue a degree and potential career that I would really enjoy. Does any of you know of any degrees/careers that involve the chemistry concepts that I enjoy but doesn't actually require too much maths (I understand statistics would most likely be in all scientific degrees to record results). Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by Jamie77
Hi, I'm new to the Student Room, but I feel like I have really messed up in my subject choice. I am currently doing Chemistry, Biology, Economics and Business Studies. At the moment I am interested in doing a Chemistry degree, but you can imagine my shock when I researched the degree and found out that concepts from A Level Maths are used in it! I did the C1 module of AS Maths in Year 11 and got a D in it, which put me off retaking it as I thought I would just get a lower grade in the other modules as they are harder. This made me chose Business Studies as it sounds interesting and didn't seem too difficult that it would reduce my potential grades for Chemistry Biology and Economics.
I really enjoy Chemistry and Biology at the moment, the reason for why I want to do a chemistry degree. Can any of you help me in this? Is there a huge amount of maths involved in a Chemistry degree or could I revise a maths for chemists textbook over the summer before I go uni to bring me up to a required standard?
Would this be enough? I only realised how really soft a Business Studies a level really is and the need for maths about 4-5 weeks into the term, so I couldn't change. The options I seem to have is to somehow persuade my school to change at this stage, which most likely would mean I would fail my other subjects, I could pick up the Maths AS next year but it might be detrimental to my other subjects at A2. Finally, I could take a gap year and work on my maths then to bring it up to what is needed.
What are you thoughts on this guys? How useful would AS maths be in a chemistry degree? I really need help, I really feel like I have messed up my chances and disadvantaged myself greatly to pursue a degree and potential career that I would really enjoy. Does any of you know of any degrees/careers that involve the chemistry concepts that I enjoy but doesn't actually require too much maths (I understand statistics would most likely be in all scientific degrees to record results). Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

I CAN HELP YOU!
It was at the end of my AS exams that I decided that Chemistry was something I wanted to take at University. Looking up the courses was horrifying, because so many of the good Universities wanted Maths (which I hadn't taken!) I'd actually taken very similar subjects to you - English Literature, Chemistry, Biology and Business Studies, and it was with regret that I dropped English at the beginning of A2, in order to focus my efforts on the other three.
So I began looking into universities. With my predicted grades (which were ABB), I shortlisted Universities - Loughborough, Keele, Manchester Metropolitan, Queen Mary UL and Hull. I got offers from all five- (take that, Maths lovers!)
After getting to university, people who did Maths had an advantage, I suppose, in the way that they were able to use numbers with less... Fear? Than me. But really, all the Maths you need to know builds on from what you learned in A-Level Chemistry. You may have to do some extra studying along the way to understand new types of calculation, but yeah. You should be fine without Maths.

Something I'd consider, though, is why the sudden change to Chemistry? I wasn't sure why my brain had suddenly changed, but I was adamant that it was the subject for me. I was sure it was what I wanted - but I think that was highly influenced by my friends' choices, and the fact that anything non-scientific was stupid. That led to me dropping out within the first four weeks of my course and using this year as a gap year. Next year I'll be applying for Business and Management!

Make sure that it's what you want! I'm not trying to scare you- but having to drop out is a pain in the ass, and not all Universities are as nice as Loughborough was about it!

Good luck! (Nothing is irreparable!)
Reply 2
Original post by Jamie77

Helloo :smile: im also hoping to do chem at le Uni so I researched what I could about the syllabus as maths can feel like the devil's work sometimed.
Don't think it's the end of the world-you can still apply for Chem as you have another science (biol). By the Unis offering this that means you'll be able to have opportunities to learn what maths you need for your Chem course. I know
that anybody who takes a dcience course but hasnt covered maths modules u needed get to go to maths classes which is great.
Thats about all I know sorry but I wish you luck. Maybe try asking some chem students at uni on tsr? The tsr society of chemistry is good :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Kat12395
I CAN HELP YOU!
It was at the end of my AS exams that I decided that Chemistry was something I wanted to take at University. Looking up the courses was horrifying, because so many of the good Universities wanted Maths (which I hadn't taken!) I'd actually taken very similar subjects to you - English Literature, Chemistry, Biology and Business Studies, and it was with regret that I dropped English at the beginning of A2, in order to focus my efforts on the other three.
So I began looking into universities. With my predicted grades (which were ABB), I shortlisted Universities - Loughborough, Keele, Manchester Metropolitan, Queen Mary UL and Hull. I got offers from all five- (take that, Maths lovers!)
After getting to university, people who did Maths had an advantage, I suppose, in the way that they were able to use numbers with less... Fear? Than me. But really, all the Maths you need to know builds on from what you learned in A-Level Chemistry. You may have to do some extra studying along the way to understand new types of calculation, but yeah. You should be fine without Maths.

Something I'd consider, though, is why the sudden change to Chemistry? I wasn't sure why my brain had suddenly changed, but I was adamant that it was the subject for me. I was sure it was what I wanted - but I think that was highly influenced by my friends' choices, and the fact that anything non-scientific was stupid. That led to me dropping out within the first four weeks of my course and using this year as a gap year. Next year I'll be applying for Business and Management!

Make sure that it's what you want! I'm not trying to scare you- but having to drop out is a pain in the ass, and not all Universities are as nice as Loughborough was about it!

Good luck! (Nothing is irreparable!)

Thanks for your answer :biggrin: I might be okay if I do some maths tutoring and revision in the summer before uni but who knows :smile: may I ask why you decided to drop out of the chemistry degree after 4 weeks?
Reply 4
Original post by Jamie77
Thanks for your answer :biggrin: I might be okay if I do some maths tutoring and revision in the summer before uni but who knows :smile: may I ask why you decided to drop out of the chemistry degree after 4 weeks?

Sure! I just realised that when I was away from the teacher I really liked (god bless Mr. Smith!) and the people who made my classes awesome, it got really... Boring? I guess I didn't find the subject matter as interesting as I thought I did any more - I didn't really have any inclination to read about it when I was by myself, let alone dig up **** loads more papers and stuff to enhance my knowledge or whatever.
I could have completed it, but I wouldn't have enjoyed doing it, or got a very good degree. So I decided to drop out and do business, which I really do like- and have been reading about in my free time since I can remember!

Just do something that you genuinely do LOVE and you'll be fine:biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Kat12395
Sure! I just realised that when I was away from the teacher I really liked (god bless Mr. Smith!) and the people who made my classes awesome, it got really... Boring? I guess I didn't find the subject matter as interesting as I thought I did any more - I didn't really have any inclination to read about it when I was by myself, let alone dig up **** loads more papers and stuff to enhance my knowledge or whatever.
I could have completed it, but I wouldn't have enjoyed doing it, or got a very good degree. So I decided to drop out and do business, which I really do like- and have been reading about in my free time since I can remember!

Just do something that you genuinely do LOVE and you'll be fine:biggrin:

Ahhh I see :smile: for a second I thought you found it too difficult haha :wink: and thanks for your advice, if your interested in both Chemistry and Business then check out The Chemistry and Management course at the University of Birmingham, that might be the best of both worlds for you! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest