The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone considering doing a PGCE in Citizenship??

I'm currently reading Law.
Original post by cutebat
Just realised one week today!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHH! EXCITED (if it happens for me anyway lol!) x
Original post by Mrs L
hello, I have been lurking for a while and want to thank all of you lovely forumites for the wealth of information you've given! I have written my personal statement. It has fewer than the 4000 characters, including spaces, so falls within the "rules" in that respect, however it is more than 47 lines so I'll have to see how it fits onto the application form. My husband reckons that each line on the form will probably contain 80 character spaces. I fear there may be some editing to be done on the day!

Anyway, the reason I'm posting today is regarding referees. I have already arranged my academic reference, however my work placement reference is proving troublesome. The teacher for whom I volunteer is happy to write a reference for me, but UCAS states the following:

'If you're providing a reference from a school where you have been employed or have done classroom observation, it must come from the Headteacher.'

I am neither employed nor doing observations in the school, I volunteer there, so I think the teacher offering the reference will fall in this category, also taken from UCAS' site:

'The other reference can be from someone who knows you from work or who can comment on your character and your potential as a teacher.'

Do you think I can get away with that loophole? Incidentally it is where I did my 2 weeks observation :-S

I had a similar problem and wanted a class teacher, rather than the headteacher (who I've never met) to be my referee. I rang UCAS who were unsuprisingly very unhelpful and said just to contact the individual course providers you're applying to to see if they would allow it, but that ultimately they'd recommend you to get it from a headteacher.
So now I'm putting my reference as the headteacher, but the class teacher has said she'll be the one writing it, he'll only look over it. I think that works best! (:
With regards to the reference: I would say that the headteacher is very likely to ask the class teacher that you were working with to help with the reference, so don't worry!
Volunteering in a school this work and really enjoying it. :smile: I'm going to be doing ten days in total, was there five days in June and five days this week. But I'm really nervous about asking for a reference! I've moved classrooms a lot so I haven't really seen any one teacher more than a couple of days each. I'm worried that ten days isn't enough to ask for a reference, but it's pretty much my only option...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1125
Original post by alabelle
Volunteering in a school this work and really enjoying it. :smile: I'm going to be doing ten days in total, was there five days in June and five days this week. But I'm really nervous about asking for a reference! I've moved classrooms a lot so I haven't really seen any one teacher more than a couple of days each. I'm worried that ten days isn't enough to ask for a reference, but it's pretty much my only option...

I think it would be ok. This was a while ago, but when I was in high school I did two weeks work experience. And when I was leaving the school, I just asked the Headteacher if it would be ok to put her as a referee (was only for my cv then) but she said yeah. Like I know what you mean like the teachers may not know you well, but they'd be able to comment on things that make you look good e.g. Showing up on time everyday can show your hardworking, asking them questions makes you look enthusiastic etc. and they are skills that a teacher would need.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't be silly! They know why you're there, so they should have guessed that you will need a reference! The teachers who work in your school would have had plenty of references themselves, they understand!
Original post by wildrover
I'm a bit disappointed that there aren't any Universities within a reasonable commute of my home that are offering the PGCE this year. It means I'm going to have to live away form home again and may decrease my chances of getting a job in the future. Does anyone know if PGCE students are generally allowed in halls?

Of course they are! There's normally post grad halls

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jeffercake
Don't be silly! They know why you're there, so they should have guessed that you will need a reference! The teachers who work in your school would have had plenty of references themselves, they understand!

Original post by Fabay
I think it would be ok. This was a while ago, but when I was in high school I did two weeks work experience. And when I was leaving the school, I just asked the Headteacher if it would be ok to put her as a referee (was only for my cv then) but she said yeah. Like I know what you mean like the teachers may not know you well, but they'd be able to comment on things that make you look good e.g. Showing up on time everyday can show your hardworking, asking them questions makes you look enthusiastic etc. and they are skills that a teacher would need.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, you've both made me feel much better! All the people I've worked with have been lovely so far so I'm sure they'll give me a good reference, it's a great school. I just feel so grateful about being allowed to volunteer that I daren't ask them for anything else! Haha.
Reply 1129
Original post by wildrover
I'm a bit disappointed that there aren't any Universities within a reasonable commute of my home that are offering the PGCE this year. It means I'm going to have to live away form home again and may decrease my chances of getting a job in the future. Does anyone know if PGCE students are generally allowed in halls?

It depends a lot on the uni, and usually also on your circumstances.

Many unis don't even have enough accommodation to guarantee undergrads a place, let alone postgrads. If you are from further away you'll usually have a higher priority, and similarly if you live down the road you're unlikely to get something.

It's worth considering that a lot of the year will be spent on placement which may be a fair distance from the uni itself, so it's not common (in my experience, which is just anecdotal) for PGCE students to live in halls. There is usually a higher demand for placements nearer the uni as well - so it may be that you will be able to get a placement near home and live there for part of the time. However, this can still be awkward for travelling and wouldn't be guaranteed as they have to work around everyone's needs for placements.

The best thing to do is contact the unis you are interested in and ask them!

Also I wouldn't panic too much about employability, the most important thing location wise is being as flexible as possible (which is not always very much! I didn't want to leave my city for a job). Many people move back home after PGCEs and forge careers there, it doesn't have to be where you train.

xxx
Thanks, you've both made me feel much better! All the people I've worked with have been lovely so far so I'm sure they'll give me a good reference, it's a great school. I just feel so grateful about being allowed to volunteer that I daren't ask them for anything else! Haha.

I felt the same way after my placement! My uni reference isn't replying so I need to choose someone else, it is so hard as nobody else really knows me. I'm sure you will always get a good reference unless you have been particularly awful in any way!
Reply 1131
Anyone applying for pgce secondary english???
Cant believe only a week left!!
Original post by Ar1234
Anyone applying for pgce secondary english???
Cant believe only a week left!!

6 days :wink:
I've sorted my references but I have a feeling my academic one is gonna take his time doing it when stuff opens :/ it's annoying - I just want to get it sent off!

Posted from TSR Mobile
For those about to ask for references, and worried that people will take ages, just be cheeky! I said to both of my referees, "I'd appreciate it very much if the reference was completed by the 21st as places are very competitive". So fingers crossed that that works!
Reply 1135
Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a reference conundrum and I'd appreciate some words of wisdom.

I'm applying to do a PGCE in Secondary History and basically I'm in two minds as to who to ask for my non-academic reference. Do I ask the head of the History Dept at the secondary school where I did my observations or the year 6 teacher at the primary school where I did likewise.

I realise this seems like a no brainer at first glance but hear me out. So although a reference from the head of history in a secondary is far more relevant, the placement was literally just observations from which you can only learn so much. For whatever reason, she was more reluctant to let me get involved in lessons and so in that way the placement was somewhat limited. Also since my placement, the school tragically burnt down. As a result I imagine things are a bit chaotic for her at the moment and probably the last thing on her list of priorities is writing me a reference!

On the other hand the placement in a year 6 class at a primary was much more hands on. I was essentially a volunteer TA for three weeks. The teacher and I got on really well and he even asked me to stay on a week longer than first agreed. So I'm confident he would give me a really great reference, but obviously less relevant.

So my question is, which do I go for? More relevant, but potentially a more average reference or less relevant and a glowing reference?

P.S. I'm aware that in both cases it would involve me asking the teacher to write the reference and then have it signed off by the head.

Thanks in advance

Dan
Does anyone know if applications will open at 9am, or later in the day? I only have a half day leave to take from work and I'm wondering whether to take it morning or afternoon in order to get my application submitted ASAP.

Thanks!
Original post by dan92pne
Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a reference conundrum and I'd appreciate some words of wisdom.

I'm applying to do a PGCE in Secondary History and basically I'm in two minds as to who to ask for my non-academic reference. Do I ask the head of the History Dept at the secondary school where I did my observations or the year 6 teacher at the primary school where I did likewise.

I realise this seems like a no brainer at first glance but hear me out. So although a reference from the head of history in a secondary is far more relevant, the placement was literally just observations from which you can only learn so much. For whatever reason, she was more reluctant to let me get involved in lessons and so in that way the placement was somewhat limited. Also since my placement, the school tragically burnt down. As a result I imagine things are a bit chaotic for her at the moment and probably the last thing on her list of priorities is writing me a reference!

On the other hand the placement in a year 6 class at a primary was much more hands on. I was essentially a volunteer TA for three weeks. The teacher and I got on really well and he even asked me to stay on a week longer than first agreed. So I'm confident he would give me a really great reference, but obviously less relevant.

So my question is, which do I go for? More relevant, but potentially a more average reference or less relevant and a glowing reference?

P.S. I'm aware that in both cases it would involve me asking the teacher to write the reference and then have it signed off by the head.

Thanks in advance

Dan

School burnt down + pne in username = we must have done some work exp in the same school.

Anyway, I felt like you with asking them. They said I could go back whenever I wanted but with the school burning down of course I never asked them and also was reluctant to ask for a reference because of how chaotic things will be and stuff.

Someone else might want to back me up though, but I think you are better asking the secondary school. I didn't participate much either but it helps if the reference is relevant to what you're applying for. I think so at least. I know the situation I hard asking them, but I think the worst is over so you should be okay. If I hadn't asked my other school I would have had to ask. I'm sure they understand.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys I am having a slight problem - my non-academic reference is the Head of English at the school I observed at - he actually asked to be a referee so I know he would be great, but does this collide with UCAS's regulations of it having to be from a Headteacher?

Thanks
I'm getting a bit worried about my non- academic reference. The teacher I have done the majority of my work experience/volunteering with has gone on maternity leave and the headteacher has recently changed so the new one doesn't even know me. Do you think I would be best still getting a reference from the school (my placement there is ongoing) or from my manager at work (I work with children and young people so not totally unrelated)?

Latest

Trending

Trending