The Student Room Group

Love, hate or rate. -gcse subjects!!

:biggrin:Post the subject that you love and are currently enjoying and what you do in that subject
Th Subject you HATE and why
And RATE them both out of 10

Also i'm picking in 2014 so detailed would be kinda useful yh? Lol:wink:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Love - Maths 9/10
I feel it is my easiest subject and very interesting!

Hate - PE 2/10
Get me out, plz.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Love hate rate! :d
Maths and physics 10/10. It's interesting.....graphics 4/10 it's time consuming
When I did GCSE

Love: Art 8/10, Triple science 9/10 - interesting, rewarding

Hate: RE 2/10 - boring. Gave it a 2 and not 0, because I do believe we should learn about other people's views etc.
Reply 5
English and french - 10/10 because they are easy (for me at least I'm a lingual kind of person) and my best subjects.

Physics and RE - 3/10 my free periods because I hate both subjects, physics just doesn't get into my head and RE is a waste of time (in our school is compulsory) though if I put my mind to it I could easily get an A* in it cos it's easy.

I got lucky scraping an A in my (real) core paper last summer for Physics!
love dance hate physics
Original post by Little_Miss22
:biggrin:Post the subject that you love and are currently enjoying and what you do in that subject
Th Subject you HATE and why
And RATE them both out of 10

Also i'm picking in 2014 so detailed would be kinda useful yh? Lol:wink:

Maths

Inequalities in graphs
I love it cos all my friends are in my class, and the work is so easy.
10/10

English
So many bloody controlled assessments!

3/10
Reply 8
when i did GCSE :smile:

My favourites were drama (so liberating, contributes to personal development aside from academia) and triple science. 10/10 without a doubt :smile:
English language I hated, 1/10. It was taught terribly at my school, I found it really quite boring!
Reply 9
When I did GCSE:
Love - Art, it was a way of forgetting about other subjects and concentrating on creativity. I've been told I'm quite good at drawing/painting so art is a natural love of mine :smile: 8/10

Hate - Maths, piece of crap subject. I always hated it and I don't see the significance of hdlg the syllabus in linking to daily life after education. 3/10
Reply 10
love - history (10/10). i find learning about the political aspects of war & international relations very interesting. history is entirely essay-based so if you aren't good at debating and writing lots i wouldn't suggest you take it

hate - physics (3/10). i do double science so this wasn't an option, however i find physics extremely boring!
When I did them (wow that was over 3 years ago now):

Favourite subjects were probably Geography and Chemistry (both of which I took to A-level). Both managed to cover enjoyable topics, and had plenty of fieldwork/practicals so not entirely rote learning from a book. French would probably have been up there too if I hadn't had a really crap teacher.

Least favourite - BCS (Business Communication Systems). It was basically a rubbish ICT/Business crossover that was made compulsory for some strange reason. It was piss-easy, and wasn't set either so I ended up in a class with a load of kids that messed around for the entire lesson. Honourable mention here also to short-course RE, which was just rather dull and only missed out on top spot by virtue of only being one year rather than two.
Reply 12
Loved- Astronomy 8/10
Wasn't the subject I did the best in, but it was an extra GCSE I did afterschool and it was so interesting. The coursework was really fun, took pictures of the moon and determined my longitude on earth, and I loved learning about space and how stars work.

Hated- History 3/10
My teacher picked on me, I didn't care about the american west, and failed the medicine through time exam twice after putting in a tonne of work and doing exactly as my teacher told me to. If I hadn't gotten an A* in the coursework (I still don't know how the hell that happened) I would've failed the whole thing.
LOVE- English lang and lit 8/10
Some of the books you do are great, namely: To kill a mockingbird, Of mice and men, Animal farm and The Crucible.
Generally really interesting, I don't find it too difficult and its one of those subjects that you don't really need to revise for YAY:smile:

HATE- Geography 3/10
I mean, who finds erosion of rivers interesting?? Plus the coursework is so confusing :s-smilie:
Love: English / Media. Was good 9/10
Alright: French 5/10, actually alright

Hate: Art 1/10 it was ****, boring, tiresome and unoriginal.
Reply 15
Love: English + English Literature. I was getting B's and A's before but now? I'm getting A*s through most of my work. I'd rate it 10/10. I absolutely love it.
Hate: Art. I am determined to do well but I don't understand why I chose this. Very irritating. I'd rate it 2/10.
English lit - 10/10 :smile: also maths and chemistry 9/10

Media :frown: 1/10 and it's only getting 1 because I get to listen to music in that crappy lesson.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths: 1/10
I find it boring aha

English 10/10
Reply 18
Original post by majmuh24
You're so lucky, I wanted to do Astronomy but they stopped offering it the year I chose my GCSE options, so disappointed, seemed really good for me :frown:

How did you find astronomy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a shame :/ Was quite hard because we did the entire GCSE in Year 10, but I still found it really fun
Reply 19
Love: History - lots of content but have always enjoyed it since I was young and want to continue it to A-Level. 9/10.
English is pretty good as well as I've always liked that sort of thing. However, I'm not looking forward to the exams as there's so much content (3 texts in the Lit exam) and it does feel like you're always doing controlled assessments in class (although I don't know if you'll be doing these with the government changes). 8/10.

Dislike: Physics and maths. So many equations to learn in physics and some things I've really struggled to get my head around in maths even though I'm predicted a high grade. 3/10 for them both.

Quick Reply

Latest