The Student Room Group

Why are guys with 6 packs so vain and arrogant?

Hey! I'm 20, at a local Uni, and when I was 17, I got my first boyfriend. A boyfriend with a six pack. It was all going fairly well on the first, second, third date... but after about a month, his attitude just really annoyed me. He was always wearing t-shirts way too small so his muscles would look bigger than they already are, and he was smiling and WINKING at other girls walking past us. I always thought I took a long time to get ready, yet he took about 2 hours each time. Forever doing his hair and it was nice that he wanted to look good, but c'mon... 2 hoursss!?! I wanted to go out more with him but when he used to reply to my texts, it was "at the gym" or he ignored me. So that was that. He didn't even seem bothered when I basically dumped him.

The next guy... that lasted 5 months. He seemed nicer, yet when Summer came, he was just busy staring at himself in the mirror, loads of photos on his phone of himself, and when we went to the beach, he was just in shorts, looking smug with attention, and even though i'm only a size 10 (ish), he said "don't get in a bikini if you're with me". i've always felt slim/healthy and he really upset me. he didn't say sorry, and he was just so rude. i left it a few weeks and he wouldn't apologise or anything. he said "the truth hurts" so that was that.

I got fed up and felt really unlucky and didn't really bother.

BUT... When I started at a local Uni, there was a guy who just seemed to always have the entire group laughing, he was always helpful and he just seemed really lovely and really friendly. I thought at first I'd just like to stay friends with him, but something just went a bit different and I really started to kinda more than like him haha. His best friend told me that this funny dude wanted to go out somewhere with me. He asked me out after his best friend kinda pushed him into me. He was always so confident but when his best friend did that, he went bright red and it was just so sweet how he asked me.

A year on, i'm still with him and I love him to bits. He's like the sweetest, most caring, funniest guys ever. He cooks... I never got that before. If we go out shopping, he carries everything... the last 2 never. He's always walked me back home... the last 2 did a few times but not everytime. He tells me i'm "beautiful", and he's just so friendly. Like he works part-time in a store. He was on the till and I was queuing up behind an older couple. I pointed across to an empty till. There were 2 people in front of them and they said "no we'll stay here. We like this young chappy. he's the nicest one here and is a good bagpacker!" and they both just smiled so much.

Once it was pouring with rain. We were on our way somewhere when in the opposite direction, there was just cars constantly going along fast and this poor little old granny couldn't get across. He pulled up, got out, a car slowed up, he pulled her trolley along for her and helped her across. We were off to a wedding. His hair was all spiked up and he had a nice suit on... yet he returned and his hair was basically flat, and he looked a bit soaked. My ex's wouldn't have ever done that. He even offered her a lift but her house was basically 2 steps away.

We don't own a car. My younger brother got really quite badly drunk once (his first time... the lightweight haha... nah), me and my mum dont drive and my dad was away up North for his work. At 4am, I rang my boyfriend and he went and picked up my brother... 4AM !!!

He's lovely, and i'll tell you one thing that he hasn't got... he's a chubby lad. He's a sporty guy though with a bit of muscle, but he's a tad bit overweight. he's about 6ft and 16 stone or something, but like sitting up in bed, his belly will hang over. He doesn't shave his body hair off like the last wimps... he's got a little patch on his belly and his chest and he's a proper man... not staring at himself in the mirror, and he's like a big teddy bear too. it's so nice to cuddle into him rather than lying with a pencil.

A six pack looks nice, but give me a great, funny, rather quite attractive guy with a bit of belly any day :wink:

Can anyone else relate to this? Or did I just pick an unlucky two?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They can afford to be vain and arrogant because they attract girls with their looks. A short ugly guy for instance cannot afford to be arrogant because his looks count against him. I thought this would be quite simple to work out? It's why the good looking girls are mostly bitches.
So if you're so content with your current boyfriend why are you thinking of guys/exs with lower bodyfat percentage?
Reply 3
They need to compensate for the vast amount of energy they have put to their musculus rectus abdominis. Simples.
Reply 4
I'd kill for a 6 pack tbh
Original post by niceguy95
I'd kill for a 6 pack tbh

This. WHilst to my surprise, girls think I look "cute" or "attractive" I'd like to be a bit more lean :colondollar:
Reply 6
Original post by nopenopenope
So if you're so content with your current boyfriend why are you thinking of guys/exs with lower bodyfat percentage?
because they look good. OP is secretly attracted to them. this is precisely why they can be vain and arrogant and get away with it.
Reply 7
So you had two boyfriends who sound like little pricks and now all guys with six packs are van and arrogant? That's ridiculous.
Original post by Bassetts
because they look good. OP is secretly attracted to them.

Yup, op is a strong delusional/10.
In their younger years, many girls seem to like the confidence these arrogant lads have.. A few months in they realise that it's not confidence but arrogance.

Not all lads with six packs/muscles are like that though; some enjoy sports/working out and don't care much about showing it; but generally if you've worked for something, you're gonna want to show it off sometime! Occasionally I 'mire' myself in the mirror :3

But in your case, the lads were just arrogant, rude and not worth you. I wouldn't want to be deliberately trying to get attention from other girls whilst in a relationship; that's just stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because they can be.
Reply 11
Sounds like you're picking the knobbish Geordie Shore wannabes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Oh well, I must be the exception to the rule :rolleyes:.
They can afford to be vain and arrogant because they attract girls with their looks. A short ugly guy for instance cannot afford to be arrogant because his looks count against him. I thought this would be quite simple to work out? It's why the good looking girls are mostly bitches.

Quite a few short and "ugly" guys can be arrogant, in different ways of course. Some choose to take comfort in their intelligence and others, in video games. An arrogant person is an arrogant person, whatever their stature may be.

The point is you should avoid encouraging him/her by dismissing their assets as irrelevant. Watch them fall apart in seconds.
Well that's not a generalisation much :K:
Original post by nopenopenope

I'm thinking about how horrid they were towards me and what a waste of time they were. It's because one of them re-added me on facebook. I declined. Yes, muscle and a nice toned belly or a six pack does look really nice, but a lot of guys who look like that are just so vain and in love with themselves which I don't like!

Yes, my boyfriend's belly can look a bit unhealthy sometimes compared to a six pack, but he's always been like that, he's fit, it's him, he's himself, he's not trying to be like anyone else, and he's rather quite cuddily, which i adore!
because they look good. OP is secretly attracted to them. this is precisely why they can be vain and arrogant and get away with it.

Yes... I love a six pack, but I don't love a guy who treats me bad. I love my boyfriend and who he is, and what he currently looks like.
I have a semi six pack, come at me bro with your ignorant generalisations.

Forever jelly.
I am sorry for hurting your feelings.
Reply 19
Original post by pinda.college
I have a semi six pack, come at me bro with your ignorant generalisations.

Forever jelly.
what work do you do to grow your abs?

in before abs are made in the kitchen. yes but i am asking how to grow your abs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending