The Student Room Group

Girls: Would you find this guy 'interesting'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
See that method doesn't work for me, i'm the kind of person that talks myself down far to much, as bad as it may seem i kinda need support from other people to start changing my views. I've gone through a large portion of my early life (makes me sound old :tongue: ) self hating myself to a degree where unless you really knew me i was think nervous little geek in the cornor, having people comment on the fact that they say i'm wrong and i am intresting gives me hope and makes me feel happy, thus i start to look at things from the view point and the more people say it, the more i accept the fact that what they said was true (example: people say that i am intresting and sod all the girls who have rejected me; that's their loss not mine, if they can't see what a great catch i am, then that's their problem not mine)

You completely missed the point - other people won't be able to change your views, only you can.
Reply 41
See that method doesn't work for me, i'm the kind of person that talks myself down far to much, as bad as it may seem i kinda need support from other people to start changing my views. I've gone through a large portion of my early life (makes me sound old :tongue: ) self hating myself to a degree where unless you really knew me i was think nervous little geek in the cornor, having people comment on the fact that they say i'm wrong and i am intresting gives me hope and makes me feel happy, thus i start to look at things from the view point and the more people say it, the more i accept the fact that what they said was true (example: people say that i am intresting and sod all the girls who have rejected me; that's their loss not mine, if they can't see what a great catch i am, then that's their problem not mine)

Why does it have to be a whole consensus of people to tell you you're interesting to make an impression on you? You're never going to win over everyone. There will forever be people in your life who think you're boring, but there will always be those who know you're not, and you have to listen to those people, they're the ones worth keeping close. You will never be natural with someone if you're always waiting for them to compliment you, people don't work that way. My point would be this:
If you know you're an interesting person you don't need to prove it. You don't need to cut your hair or change your clothes, listen to music you don't like. Be yourself, and if you're lucky enough, people will see you for what you are. If some people don't why bother to convince them when you've got people on your side already. Don't put effort in to convincing people who are too narrow-minded to be convinced. You're interesting, get over it
Reply 42
Original post by HFerguson
You completely missed the point - other people won't be able to change your views, only you can.

^exactly
Original post by Yeah OK
No. We'd have absolutely nothing in common and it sounds like you're trying too hard.

mhm, I don't really think having a billion hobbies makes you interesting, surely it's a person's personality?
Original post by + polarity -
mhm, I don't really think having a billion hobbies makes you interesting, surely it's a person's personality?

More personality, but hobbies can shape that. And if you're obsessively raving about rocks or discussing what makes a piece of music beautiful, it's going to help if the other person's interested in that sort of thing as well.
Original post by silvershadows
More personality, but hobbies can shape that. And if you're obsessively raving about rocks or discussing what makes a piece of music beautiful, it's going to help if the other person's interested in that sort of thing as well.

damnit Marie, they're minerals
Oh, and salsa boy, you do sound interesting, from what little information you've put down, but it's just as much about your sense of humor, and facial expressions in first instances. Some people you're going to click with, and some people may set their viscous springer spaniel on you (I'm sure it doesn't happen that often).
But why not try meeting someone in a library, or at a climbing wall or festival instead of a bar?
Reply 47
and what about football? :frown:
Reply 48
I would still be doing it if i had the money, however i don't have the spare money to do it, i did enjoy it, always loved horses

I have two horses and been riding since the age of 2 (17 years) my current OH hates horses so yes I would definitely find you interesting! Always good to share a hobby ^^
Apart from the hopeless romantic i wouldnt be interested- you have too many hobbies and they dont intrigue me
Reply 50
Original post by silvershadows
Oh, and salsa boy, you do sound interesting, from what little information you've put down, but it's just as much about your sense of humor, and facial expressions in first instances. Some people you're going to click with, and some people may set their viscous springer spaniel on you (I'm sure it doesn't happen that often).
But why not try meeting someone in a library, or at a climbing wall or festival instead of a bar?

Meh the same people go climbing, none of em take my fancy, library at uni yeah can't really get to know people that well they are all studying :tongue: can't afford festivals right now those people would prob noly be in for ONS anyway which i don't do
Original post by Aniaa
and what about football? :frown:

It's overrated and sucks imo

Original post by Arrow_x
I have two horses and been riding since the age of 2 (17 years) my current OH hates horses so yes I would definitely find you interesting! Always good to share a hobby ^^

Jealous :frown:
Original post by bluebubblegum
Apart from the hopeless romantic i wouldnt be interested- you have too many hobbies and they dont intrigue me

i don't them all religiously they are the things i've done over the past two years, the ones i most commonly are guitar,salsa and clibming, i'm a TEXTBOOK hopeless romantic
Eh well i would find your hobbies cute if not, then interesting! They are greatly dissimilar from one another; i've noticed people pick hobbies rigidly related to one another when it falls under performing arts and sport possibly to maintain balance of a certain image. Why do you want to come across as unique though? As long as you're sure you really do like the list of things you do at the end of the day, you're free to experiment with whatever image you have in mind that reflects you as a person. You would have a lot to talk about when you meet new people if they're any interesting themselves.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by punchofsalt
Eh well i would find your hobbies cute if not, then interesting! They are greatly dissimilar from one another; i've noticed people pick hobbies rigidly related to one another when it falls under performing arts and sport possibly to maintain balance of a certain image. Why do you want to come across as unique though? As long as you're sure you really do like the list of things you do at the end of the day, you're free to experiment with whatever image you have in mind that reflects you as a person. You would have a lot to talk about when you meet new people if they're any interesting themselves.

Because on first impressions (looks etc.) i'm nothing different, i want to single myself out from the crowd so that if i do get attention from a girl, i they put on the "same as every other guy that has hit on me this evening" shelf
Because on first impressions (looks etc.) i'm nothing different, i want to single myself out from the crowd so that if i do get attention from a girl, i they put on the "same as every other guy that has hit on me this evening" shelf

Ahh good stand to take. Most would appreciate your individuality, however, a few girls out there who are after a potential boyfriend (somewhere close to that) usually go for what everyone else has or what their friends have. But you've got quite a good selection there and shouldn't have to worry about. :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by punchofsalt
Ahh good stand to take. Most would appreciate your individuality, however, a few girls out there who are after a potential boyfriend (somewhere close to that) usually go for what everyone else has or what their friends have. But you've got quite a good selection there and shouldn't have to worry about. :smile:

I've never had a girlfriend in my life, hense why i try to single myself out more then normal :frown:
I would rather a guy that just had 1 or 2 hobbies. Salsa dancing men isn't really my thing.

I don't have many hobbies myself apart from lazing around and cooking.
in a platonic way yes I'd find you interesting based on your hobbies. It all depends how you present yourself though. If you have no sense of humour and are as dull as dishwater to talk to, then it doesn't matter what hobbies you have, you'd still be uninteresting.
But if you have a sense of humour and are capable of having a bit of a laugh, maybe a few philosophical conversations, are engaging company, then based with your hobbies yeah I'd say you're an interesting guy.
Reply 57
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
in a platonic way yes I'd find you interesting based on your hobbies. It all depends how you present yourself though. If you have no sense of humour and are as dull as dishwater to talk to, then it doesn't matter what hobbies you have, you'd still be uninteresting.
But if you have a sense of humour and are capable of having a bit of a laugh, maybe a few philosophical conversations, are engaging company, then based with your hobbies yeah I'd say you're an interesting guy.

I would say i have a GSOH and i am more than willing do "deep conversations" with people
You sound hot! I did martial arts as a kid for years. Your musical side seems cute, mostly the nerdiness. So are you hot?

Ok so this is going to be a slightly selfish type thread, but there is method in my madness, i have a problem with self-confidence beacuse i don't think i'm "unqiue", i'm trying out some different methods to help be boost it, although crude; getting opinons from random people (although not the ideal way to boost confidence) is something i'm trying

Anyway, i'm a 21 year old guy at uni and i do a few activities

- I practise a Martial Art (Aikido)
- I play guitar (electric)
- I have a interest in horse riding and last year i did take lessons (can't afford it right now)
- I do Rock climbing
- I take Salsa dancing lessons
- I'm a geek at heart and groud of it
- Hopeless romantic
- I OCCASIONALLY sing

So just based on those activities if i were to come upto you in a bar or something engage in conversation and drop one or more of these activites in would you still be intrested (i mean in a general sense not just in a sexual / realationship way)
I would say i have a GSOH and i am more than willing do "deep conversations" with people

then you sound fine.

It takes time to meet new people though, so don't worry. Just be yourself :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending