The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mike_123
I'm pretty sure there's multiple open days. UCL state that around 100 people attend them to collect their offers. There are a lot more than 100 offers though.

Do you know when the other open days are and when the invitations for them will be handed out?
There's 200 places for Economics at UCL though guessing they'll give 300+ offers or more due to some taking other universities.
I would personally take UCL over Oxford, wish there was a way of hinting this to the Econ tutors haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rafael_96
Considering I haven't received a UCL open day invitation yet for Economics, what should I be thinking right now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are many applicants, they need time to consider each application and many people still haven't applied so they can't give too many offers now. :smile:
I presonally wouldn't get worried, I applied on 8th October, got no other email from UCL apart from the acknowledgement one.
(edited 10 years ago)
Do you know when the other open days are and when the invitations for them will be handed out?
There's 200 places for Economics at UCL though guessing they'll give 300+ offers or more due to some taking other universities.
I would personally take UCL over Oxford, wish there was a way of hinting this to the Econ tutors haha.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Considering Cambridge give 200-ish places and LSE give 250-ish places. If they have 200 places then I'm predicting around 400-500 offers since there are other great Uni's out there (eg. Warwick, Oxford etc.)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2143
What a day!

Got an invitation to the UCL open day thing, and I got an AAB offer from Warwick! (I have an A* in maths already)

So excited :biggrin:

Today was supposed to be the deadline for the 5 weeks email from LSE, but instead I've got two others! Just LSE and Cambridge to go now!
Original post by Giant
What a day!

Got an invitation to the UCL open day thing, and I got an AAB offer from Warwick! (I have an A* in maths already)

So excited :biggrin:

Today was supposed to be the deadline for the 5 weeks email from LSE, but instead I've got two others! Just LSE and Cambridge to go now!

congrats!!!!!may I ask when did you send off your application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2145
Original post by runjennyrun17
congrats!!!!!may I ask when did you send off your application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

4th October

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty sure they give out more offers than that. I'd say ~500 offers.
Considering I haven't received a UCL open day invitation yet for Economics, what should I be thinking right now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

same situation pal, getting a tad worried!

Posted from TSR Mobile

i think UCL give like 3 offers to every place or something like that? so theres gonna be approximately 600 offers given out

and i wont be one of them :frown:
Original post by Fas
i think UCL give like 3 offers to every place or something like that? so theres gonna be approximately 600 offers given out

and i wont be one of them :frown:

that should make everyone very happy (including you) as our chances of getting an offer is higher then, I heard that for UCL econ there is around 12 applicants for each place so having a one in four chance of getting an offer isnt quite bad you know, and its even more likely if your grades are above the average of the applicants.
Original post by Giant
4th October

Oh I sent off mine on the 13th so maybe need to wait one more week or so ....:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TerribleTej
that should make everyone very happy (including you) as our chances of getting an offer is higher then, I heard that for UCL econ there is around 12 applicants for each place so having a one in four chance of getting an offer isnt quite bad you know, and its even more likely if your grades are above the average of the applicants.

haha yeah it's definitely made me more optimistic for sure, but im still nervous i mean it is UCL afterall, these guys are pretty much on the same level of Warwick/LSE. yeah i guess so, im hoping my personal statement + EPQ swings it for me because im "only" predicted A*AA while i bet a lot of applicants will have A*A*A predictions or more... ive got the A* prediction in Maths which definitely helps ( + AS Further ) but who knows!
Original post by Fas
haha yeah it's definitely made me more optimistic for sure, but im still nervous i mean it is UCL afterall, these guys are pretty much on the same level of Warwick/LSE. yeah i guess so, im hoping my personal statement + EPQ swings it for me because im "only" predicted A*AA while i bet a lot of applicants will have A*A*A predictions or more... ive got the A* prediction in Maths which definitely helps ( + AS Further ) but who knows!

These statistics definitely making me more optimistic aswell ! And same as yourself for me, hope personal statement and economics related EPQ (with quite a personal topic) differentiates me from other applicants to some extent, I'm predicted A*A*A* which hopefully will help aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
UCL is my dream, why don't they know this and why won't they reply. I have 4 offers UCL, 4! Just gimmee one! Lots of love (just incase they see this) Ellena xoxoxo
Original post by Fas

as long as you have the right grades (which you do), you have a decent chance
Everyone needs to calm down over UCL.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Everyone needs to calm down over UCL.

Ikr, if you haven't received the email it's not the end of the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey guuys,

I haven't sent my application yet and one of my friends said that the chances of getting an offer from top universities are lower the later you send your application, is that true? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by raqueloliveira
hey guuys,

I haven't sent my application yet and one of my friends said that the chances of getting an offer from top universities are lower the later you send your application, is that true? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. Universities are legally required to give equal consideration no matter when you apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Guys, I got the interview invitation from Kings! Did you get it too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending