The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by MostUncivilised
It's not his first relationship. I did think he was a little odd in some ways when we first met, but I also found those traits a bit endearing. He's a kind of funny mix of awkwardness and confidence, and the fact that he perceives the world quite differently to me makes us a good pair in some ways.

That sucks :frown: My boyfriend is really his own person, but his family and friends accept him for who he is, with all his quirks and eccentricities. He's quite personable, though at times he says things that can seem harsh. He does work on that and I think people, for the most part, do try to give others the benefit of the doubt.

What about friends? I think the best way to meet potential partners is through friends and work. Do you work/study? Do you hobbies or interests that would connect you with like-minded people?

Boy, I have never encountered this acceptance anywhere. Pretty much everyone I told just avoided me.

I got rid of all my friends 3 years ago, I have no job because no qualifications and the ones that don't require qualifications such as retail need tons of people skills which I don't have.
Original post by WGR
Boy, I have never encountered this acceptance anywhere. Pretty much everyone I told just avoided me.

I think it helped that he did very well at school and university, and is very good at what he does for work. Also, he went to a public school and comes from a posh family, and posh people tend to be nutters and amiable eccentrics anyway, so that might have increased the level of acceptance.

I got rid of all my friends 3 years ago, I have no job because no qualifications and the ones that don't require qualifications such as retail need tons of people skills which I don't have.

That's disappointing, you definitely seem intelligent and insightful about your own mind... please don't give up on women or on having a career. I hope that's not hopelessly patronising advice, but you're clearly a clever chap so I can only imagine you would be awfully unfulfilled if you don't just push past that discomfort zone and get into it (whatever it is, whether study or work)
Reply 22
Original post by Bassetts
what are those groups like? what happens in them? and wow, 40 year old virgin, how the hell do you cope that long without sex?

in your first post, you should state your age (31) so people have an idea. most people could think you're only some 18 year old kid.

lol im not 31 im 21.

Erm they just meet up in the pub and talk and stuff. I stopped going because I didn't fit in with them. Can you believe that? Didn't even fit in with other autistic people.

I dunno, maybe they cried themselves to sleep every night?
Reply 23
I think it helped that he did very well at school and university, and is very good at what he does for work. Also, he went to a public school and comes from a posh family, and posh people tend to be nutters and amiable eccentrics anyway, so that might have increased the level of acceptance.

That's disappointing, you definitely seem intelligent and insightful about your own mind... please don't give up on women or on having a career. I hope that's not hopelessly patronising advice, but you're clearly a clever chap so I can only imagine you would be awfully unfulfilled if you don't just push past that discomfort zone and get into it (whatever it is, whether study or work)

Oh right I see.

And thanks.
Reply 24
Original post by WGR
lol im not 31 im 21.

Erm they just meet up in the pub and talk and stuff. I stopped going because I didn't fit in with them. Can you believe that? Didn't even fit in with other autistic people.

I dunno, maybe they cried themselves to sleep every night?
you said in a past post you were 31. :s-smilie: whats the big issue then? you're still young. do you go to uni?
Reply 25
Original post by punchofsalt
I don't blame you, hate them if it makes you feel better. You'll get over it once you let it out enough, just don't resort to assault.

Mass shooting?
you said in a past post you were 31. :s-smilie: whats the big issue then? you're still young. do you go to uni?

You know as well as I do that this is still an issue for a 21 year old. If you reach this age and are still in the same position and it's not through choice, there is probably something wrong with you.
Reply 27

I said that so people wouldn't give me the "you're still young" line. Ironically they still did. Sure I may be young but what will be different in 10 years? Why would I be likely to get a gf in the next 10 years if I didn't in he last 10 years. My future plans is to study form home for an engineering degree so won't meet girls for the next 3 to 6 years guaranteed, then I want to get a job in engineering, there are very few women compared to men in engineering. I've thought about it and I'm not likely to ever meet a sizeable amount of women ever again in my life. I may as well be in prison.
Reply 28
Original post by WGR
Mass shooting?

Id recommend going to a therapist for CBT(cognative behavioural therapy)
i have social anxiety "learnt trait" off my dad who's autistic. Though because he didnt get any support psychologically he basically couldnt cope with being in a relationship with my mum and she couldnt handle the way he acted so they ended up splitting up.

So what i say is go and see someone about coping methods and try to focus more on your actions, speech and thoughts.

Id give you more advice but unfortunately my dad never received help and its been nearly a year since ive seen him (i have to stay away from him because of his influences etc).
There are lot of autism support websites though online if you just google them ^^

edit: my dads now nearly 50 and he lives alone and is severely dependant on my grandma
Original post by WGR
Mass shooting?

Probably not a good idea
Original post by JimmyBignutz
Well observed.
Is this from the Sex and the City form of clinical psychology or more Friends based

One of the best posts written. Ever.
Reply 31
Original post by the mezzil
Probably not a good idea

Why not? I can't see any negatives.
The acceptance for Autism varies hugely. For some reason, people think I'm sweet, and I found someone. Mind you, at that point I was an adult, undiagnosed female, and the first person I could stand, who could stand me, was, guess! ASD!

So, my difficulties will have been different from yours, and my coping strategies necessarily different. I think you should look into evening courses that are mainly chosen by women, to take advantage of the gender imbalance.
Reply 33
Original post by WGR

Me neither, you can start from me
Original post by WGR

Seriously. :facepalm:

Original post by WGR
I said that so people wouldn't give me the "you're still young" line. Ironically they still did. Sure I may be young but what will be different in 10 years? Why would I be likely to get a gf in the next 10 years if I didn't in he last 10 years. My future plans is to study form home for an engineering degree so won't meet girls for the next 3 to 6 years guaranteed, then I want to get a job in engineering, there are very few women compared to men in engineering. I've thought about it and I'm not likely to ever meet a sizeable amount of women ever again in my life. I may as well be in prison.

Because in the last ten years, you were still a young teenager.

Wow. You're only 21 and you're already thinking of a mail order bride? You're getting way too ahead of yourself. I think its important to simply flow with life. Don't go out of your way to actively look for a girlfriend, just enjoy life, hopefully improving yourself through courses or qualifications or some sort of job. You'll see, they usually arrive when you least expect it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by WGR

Shooting civilians is never a good idea. Male or female.
Reply 36

It is much easier to study and do well in uni if you have a good social life. Anti-social autistic nerds (prior to contrary belief) usually lack motivation by the time they get to uni and stop putting effort in. It's a shame as many such people have very high IQs.
Original post by WGR
All my life I've been rejected by girls purely for being socially awkward (I have autism) and I'm finding it really hard not to hate them. Of course hate is wrong because it's obviously my fault not theirs why I'm unloved and I am not entitled to women but as time goes on I'm finding it so hard to fight my feelings of hatred for them because hate is so easy and in some ways comforting (your shifting the blame)

I find the hate seeping out via me getting angry at women, being rude to women, finding any reason to put them down and of course making misogynistic rage threads. I know it's wrong but I just can't help it. What should I do?

You know it's funny, I'm starting to hate men as well. Men have done nothing but make my life miserable. They bullied me, they break my heart, they take me for granted, and they used me. All of them, I've never had a man in my life who loved me for who I am, not even my Dad.
But as years pass by, I realize that maybe It's not the man's fault, maybe It's simply because I haven't found the one yet. Of couse I doubt I'll ever find him sooner or later, but by all means, I shouldn't hate on the entire men population simply because all the guys I've met in my life so far are jerks. Not all of the women in your life are going to treat you that way pal, It's just that... like me, you have been unfortunate to meet all the b*tchy ones, but not all women will treat you like that. Someday you'll find a woman who understands your problem and will love you just as you are, these things takes time. Just don't hate on the entire population of women simply because all the ones you've met are nasty.
Reply 38
Original post by WGR
I already look good, I don't want a golddigger, may as well just hire a hooker.

Son, I have some bad news...
Reply 39
Original post by elohssa
It is much easier to study and do well in uni if you have a good social life. Anti-social autistic nerds (prior to contrary belief) usually lack motivation by the time they get to uni and stop putting effort in. It's a shame as many such people have very high IQs.

Yep this is me in a nutshell. Was anti-social, lost all motivation by the time I got to uni, flopped.

Latest

Trending

Trending