The Student Room Group

Which US universities would it be best for me to avoid?

I'm planning to go study in the states for the 1st semester of 3rd year, but i'm a little worried about whether i'd be discriminated against in certain states. One of my flatmates who is American, has mentioned that it's better to not go to any university in the south beacuse of the racism. Now i've heard from a lot people that universities are like a liberal oasis, so it won't be as bad, but now i'm not sure because i'm getting mixed opinions. Anyone have any idea about racism in US universities? Btw i'm tanned skin colour and Iranian if you were wondering.
Reply 1
Original post by 4RealBlud
I'm planning to go study in the states for the 1st semester of 3rd year, but i'm a little worried about whether i'd be discriminated against in certain states. One of my flatmates who is American, has mentioned that it's better to not go to any university in the south beacuse of the racism. Now i've heard from a lot people that universities are like a liberal oasis, so it won't be as bad, but now i'm not sure because i'm getting mixed opinions. Anyone have any idea about racism in US universities? Btw i'm tanned skin colour and Iranian if you were wondering.

Hi There,
I'm not going to tell you that it doesn't exist racism but it does, I'm more in the middle of that thought but American uni's are an oasis, it's where they educate minds free from racism and teach curiosity of different cultures. I would suggest researching what universities you are interested in attending first, free from any racial worries. Once you figure out what schools you're interested in attending, find out about them there are international forums at the universities, check with the international students. Also, go to the study abroad program at you current school and find out what they suggest, about the universities you are interested in. Study abroad programs ask and research.

I hope this helps, Elizabeth koukladas
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending