The Student Room Group

Do you consider biology as a science?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20

:lol:

Of course, topology is an exception to my rule! :colondollar:

EDIT: actually, that isn't a science either :facepalm: I should retreat to my chambers!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 21
It's a science. However most people who do it would fail at physics, maths or chemistry.
Reply 22

nice to see it again... don't their middle class 1980s houses look strange though
Biology is applied chemistry which is applied physics. Therefore, biology is science.
Not only is it a science, it's the most enjoyable science :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Masoudy

To physicists: Stamp collecting crap Rutherford said last century is outdated. You guys don't even discover new stuff anymore (except in CERN or NASA, if you ever get there). We do actual discovery today (i.e. we science)

Oh please... If you are going to say something like that at least know what the hell you are talking about even slightly.

Though biology is definitely a science.
Of course yes
funny-biology-cell-division.jpg
Reply 28
Science isn't dictated by the difficulty of the subject or how esteemed its students are. It's dictated by the methods used to acquire and examine information.

Original post by Doctor_Einstein
No biology is just stamp collecting. Physics is science.

Science requires experimentation (see the scientific method). The irony of describing a biology as a non-science because biologists collect data as part of experiment is remarkable.
What kind of a stupid question is that ?
Original post by elohssa
It's a science. However most people who do it would fail at physics, maths or chemistry.

What on earth are you taking about?
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
No biology is just stamp collecting. Physics is science.

I take all three sciences, I think I can safely say your wrong. It's just as important as physics in my opinion... And a LOT more fun! 😌

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by Lucy96
Not only is it a science, it's the most enjoyable science :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

YUS! *high five*
Reply 33
Of course biology is a science. I know a few people too who look down at biology in terms of it being a science. Just because it is deemed 'easier' than chemistry or physics, doesn't make it any less of a science imo.
Reply 34
Biology can be seen as really applied chemistry.
Original post by Masoudy
Yes it is. Here is an open message to all jealous w**kers out there:

To physicists: Stamp collecting crap Rutherford said last century is outdated. You guys don't even discover new stuff anymore (except in CERN or NASA, if you ever get there). We do actual discovery today (i.e. we science)

To engineers: Yes we do Molecular techniques called "genetic engineering" that do not involve engineering. It is adding and mixing different reagents to create new genes. So your statement of "no science without engineering" isn't accurate and engineering in genetic engineering is not engineering

To mathematicians / Business students: You're not science

To doctors: We lecture you

To chavs: You don't even uni

To snobby Oxford history/philosophy students: You're studying something impractical, find a job after your degree you bloody w**ker

Love
Biologists

fam us mathmos would merk off all u bio kids anyday of the week init.
Original post by elohssa

:facepalm: what? Most of the students in my biology class are also doing chemistry and maths.
I do biology alongside chemistry and maths - I'm not failing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LinzyLoo
YUS! *high five*

:woo:

Posted from TSR Mobile
In response to those who say biology is easiest, I bossed all three sciences at GCSE and A-level, and I find the order is:

(Hardest)
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
(Easiest)

Of course biology is a science, and it shouldn't be less regarded than the physical sciences. Biology is complex chemistry which is complex physics. Try making new diagnostic, therapeutic or ecological etc discoveries whilst focusing down too much to the core basis with physics! It wouldn't work. In biology you need to know lots of things, often more qualitative, and link lots of these together. With physics you need to know less things and can apply them to lots of situations.
Original post by elohssa

Because biology is more interesting. Anyhow, I got A*A*A* in the three sciences.

EDIT: not bragging, I know others who got higher. Just trying to illustrate how people who do biology would not always fail at chem and phys
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending