The Student Room Group

Linearly dependent

Hoping that someone can clear this up for me.

I know that when a set of vectors such as {U1,U2,0}, includes a zero vector, then the set of vectors is linearly dependent. However I don't really understand why that is so?! Could someone explain?

Reply 1
Original post by redrose_ftw

I know that when a set of vectors such as {U1,U2,0}, includes a zero vector, then the set of vectors is linearly dependent. However I don't really understand why that is so?! Could someone explain?

Just put the vectors into a square matrix. Calculate the determinant, if it's zero, then the two vectors are linearly dependent.
Reply 2

A set of vectors v1,...vkv_1, ...v_k are linearly dependent if you can find scalars λ1,...,λk\lambda_1, ..., \lambda_k not all zero such that λivi=0\sum \lambda_i v_i = 0.

If one of the vectors is 0, vj=0v_j = 0, say, then you can take λi=0\lambda_i = 0 for iji \neq j, λj=1\lambda_j = 1, and then λivi=0\sum \lambda_i v_i = 0.
Reply 3
Original post by DarthVador
Just put the vectors into a square matrix. Calculate the determinant, if it's zero, then the two vectors are linearly dependent.

I did read on that, I understand how that would work for a square matrix, but what about when the set of vectors are in R5? or any where Rn, n being greater than the number of vectors in the vector space.
Reply 4
I did read on that, I understand how that would work for a square matrix, but what about when the set of vectors are in R5? or any where Rn, n being greater than the number of vectors in the vector space.
In this case, I'd rather be clear than polite; I don't think DarthVador's suggestion is meaningful here.
To be linearly independent, you'd need the only constants satisfying
Unparseable latex formula:

\alpha_1{\bf u}_1+\alpha_2{\bf u}_2+\alpha_3{\bf 0}={\bf 0}$ to be $(\alpha_1, \alpha_2, \alpha_3)={\bf 0}

However, we can have for example (α1,α2,α3)=(0,0,4)(\alpha_1,\alpha_2,\alpha_3)=(0,0,4).

So these vectors are not linearly independent :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks guys, big help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest