The Student Room Group

Optical isomers

Why do optical isomers exist ? Ez isoners exsists due to the fact that the double bond cannot rotate. What is the exact reading why optical isomers exsist is it because these molecules have a choral center, are mirror images and non-superimposable? My textbook says 'optical isoners happen because the isomers have 3d structures...sounds a bit vague imo. If I wanted to answer the question at the start of this thread what would I write
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by TheGreaterGood
Why do optical isomers exist ? Ez isoners exsists due to the fact that the double bond cannot rotate. What is the exact reading why optical isomers exsist is it because these molecules have a choral center, are mirror images and non-superimposable? My textbook says 'optical isoners happen because the isomers have 3d structures...sounds a bit vague imo. If I wanted to answer the question at the start of this thread what would I write
Posted from TSR Mobile

In my textbook it says;
'Optical isomers occur when a compound contains a carbon atom with four different atoms, or groups of atoms, joined to it - this is an asymmetric carbon atom'
So yeah I think they exist because they have a chiral centre...
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Rishvana
In my textbook it says;
'Optical isomers occur when a compound contains a carbon atom with four different atoms, or groups of atoms, joined to it - this is an asymmetric carbon atom'
So yeah I think they exist because they have a chiral centre...
Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you Rishvana :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by TheGreaterGood
Thank you Rishvana :biggrin:

You're Welcome :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending