The Student Room Group

Have I understood the basics of Photolysis and Chemiosmosis

Photolysis of water

Photo-system II contains an enzyme which, in the presence of light, splits water.

2H2O -> 4H+ + 4e- + O2

Chemiosmosis

The hydrogen ions have two purposes.

1. Used to generate ATP
2. Reducing NADP

1. Protons will diffuse across the thylakoid membrane through a channel protein (associated with ATP synthase causing it rotate and synthesise ATP from ADP and Pi)

2. Protons will be accepted by NADP (alongside electrons) forming reduced NADP, which is used in PSII
When talking about H+ generating ATP, you must remember to use the phases "Concentration gradient" and "Proton motive force".
Reply 2
Original post by R1C3W1N3
Photolysis of water

Photo-system II contains an enzyme which, in the presence of light, splits water.

2H2O -> 4H+ + 4e- + O2

Chemiosmosis

The hydrogen ions have two purposes.

1. Used to generate ATP
2. Reducing NADP

1. Protons will diffuse across the thylakoid membrane through a channel protein (associated with ATP synthase causing it rotate and synthesise ATP from ADP and Pi)

2. Protons will be accepted by NADP (alongside electrons) forming reduced NADP, which is used in PSII

I think so. You definition of hydrolysis is, for a basic level, correct. The statement that Atp synthase rotates is a bit vague, and you would do well by studying its mechanism further. Also, reduced NADP, as far as I know, is used in the dark reactions of photosynthesis.
Reply 3
Original post by Dynamo123
I think so. You definition of hydrolysis is, for a basic level, correct. The statement that Atp synthase rotates is a bit vague, and you would do well by studying its mechanism further. Also, reduced NADP, as far as I know, is used in the dark reactions of photosynthesis.

Thanks!
For NADP I put used in PSII when it should be the calvin cycle?
Reply 4
Original post by R1C3W1N3
Thanks!
For NADP I put used in PSII when it should be the calvin cycle?

Nearly so and righty-ho, said I to my tweeny bro B-) :biggrin: (just a limerick I made. Don't worry, the tweeny bro was another factor in my cultural studies).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending