The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by defeatedmac
I really don't think relevance should be determined by a generic list to cover ever single course the university has. Then you get situations like this.. where economics and statistics are less relevant to my application than biology.

Part of it is definitely the fact that psych, econ, etc. are joke APs, especially when compared to the ones that are considered 'relevant.'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 1601
I really don't think relevance should be determined by a generic list to cover ever single course the university has. Then you get situations like this.. where economics and statistics are less relevant to my application than biology.

You should know that lse econ is more competitive than oxford
Original post by tlunn223
Part of it is definitely the fact that psych, econ, etc. are joke APs, especially when compared to the ones that are considered 'relevant.'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Macro/Micro is most definitely not a joke AP.

Stats and Psych? Wholeheartedly agree.

But Calc AB and Physics B and World History are just as pathetic. I dropped out of World History because I was sleeping through class and making an A anyway.
Macro/Micro is most definitely not a joke AP.

Stats and Psych? Wholeheartedly agree.

But Calc AB and Physics B and World History are just as pathetic. I dropped out of World History because I was sleeping through class and making an A anyway.

I don't mean the class, I mean the test. ~14% of people get 5s on econ; ~6% get 5s on world history.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I worked in the LSE Widening Participation office for a year part-time while I was studying there and I've spoken to numerous admissions staff.

The lists that the university comes up with are not ad-hoc with no rhyme or reason behind them. There is a lot of research and focus put into creating them, the university speaks to experts and advisors yearly to see if such lists need to altered or amended as course structures and such change. It is not that studying AP Economics is not relevant to applying for Economics at the LSE, but according to the research that the university has done, AP Economics is not considered a comprehensive or academic enough course to adequately prepare a student for the kind of university study expected of an LSE student in any discipline. Hence, other Economics courses, such as IB or A-Level Economics, are happily accepted.

What that list demonstrates are the respective AP subjects that the university deems as giving students a sufficient background and collection of study skills in order to best equip them for university study in any discipline at the LSE (outside of specific course requirements).

Also, did you happen to take a lot of AP Maths classes? Calculus and what-not?
I don't mean the class, I mean the test. ~14% of people get 5s on econ; ~6% get 5s on world history.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't do numbers with me... these are the percentages of test-takers who got 5s.

Chemistry 18.2% - relevant

Environmental Science 7.7% - irrelevant

Calc AB 23.8% - relevant

Calc BC 45.3% - relevant

Macro/Micro 13/16% - irrelevant

really doubt its based on the test difficulty.
Original post by arrowhead
I worked in the LSE Widening Participation office for a year part-time while I was studying there and I've spoken to numerous admissions staff.

The lists that the university comes up with are not ad-hoc with no rhyme or reason behind them. There is a lot of research and focus put into creating them, the university speaks to experts and advisors yearly to see if such lists need to altered or amended as course structures and such change. It is not that studying AP Economics is not relevant to applying for Economics at the LSE, but according to the research that the university has done, AP Economics is not considered a comprehensive or academic enough course to adequately prepare a student for the kind of university study expected of an LSE student in any discipline. Hence, other Economics courses, such as IB or A-Level Economics, are happily accepted.

What that list demonstrates are the respective AP subjects that the university deems as giving students a sufficient background and collection of study skills in order to best equip them for university study in any discipline at the LSE (outside of specific course requirements).

Also, did you happen to take a lot of AP Maths classes? Calculus and what-not?

I'm pretty sure I took every possible math based AP course, except Chemistry (if that even counts, its really a stretch).

Why do you ask?
Don't do numbers with me... these are the percentages of test-takers who got 5s.

Chemistry 18.2% - relevant

Environmental Science 7.7% - irrelevant

Calc AB 23.8% - relevant

Calc BC 45.3% - relevant

Macro/Micro 13/16% - irrelevant

really doubt its based on the test difficulty.

Part of it is definitely what matches with A levels. Part of it is what UCAS considers relevant. Part of it is LSE's choice. I'm by no means defending LSE. Besides, if your application is 'nearly flawless,' you should get into many other great schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm pretty sure I took every possible math based AP course, except Chemistry (if that even counts, its really a stretch).

Why do you ask?

In the event that you hadn't taken a lot of Maths classes, it would explain the rejection more. Clearly that doesn't apply here.

Tough luck, mate. Admissions are always tricky. But I'm sure you will get into Oxbridge/UCL - wherever else you're applying, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Part of it is definitely what matches with A levels. Part of it is what UCAS considers relevant. Part of it is LSE's choice. I'm by no means defending LSE. Besides, if your application is 'nearly flawless,' you should get into many other great schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ay, cheers to that. No hard feelings mate.

Original post by arrowhead
In the event that you hadn't taken a lot of Maths classes, it would explain the rejection more. Clearly that doesn't apply here.

Tough luck, mate. Admissions are always tricky. But I'm sure you will get into Oxbridge/UCL - wherever else you're applying, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

true true, I'm not as much bothered by the fact that I didn't get in as much as I am by the reasons for which I was rejected.
Reply 1610
Original post by fgfgfg
For some strange reason I have a feeling there will be a massive batch of offers coming out, alongside a myriad of rejections, this afternoon. On their official admissions calendar they did say their first round of offers will be made in mid-November, so I am assuming today is the big day - given the illustrious LSE Fridays. Sit tight - a few more hours to go before their office closes for the weekend! x

Haven't received anything yet :/ I wonder what that means if we haven't been rejected or given an offer, maybe middle applicants? I applied on the 13th October so it's been over a month now! Hope I don't get rejected though, would much rather just wait :biggrin:
Reply 1611
Original post by Portia1993
Has anybody got offers/ rejections for Government yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, I got an offer for BSc Government and Economics this morning
Original post by Yolosta

Ooh congrats! How far into the 5 week email were you? :smile:
I'm sat refreshing my emails every few seconds at the minute :P
Reply 1613
Original post by Portia1993
Ooh congrats! How far into the 5 week email were you? :smile:
I'm sat refreshing my emails every few seconds at the minute :P

It had been 5 weeks and 1 day! Ah I empathise, that was me for the last 5 weeks. It will come soon! :smile:
Original post by Yolosta
It had been 5 weeks and 1 day! Ah I empathise, that was me for the last 5 weeks. It will come soon! :smile:

Oh gosh! They really use the 5 week time frame to their full advantage then huh? :')
2 weeks until the end of mine, I'm going crazy haha!
Original post by Yolosta

Congratulations! May I ask what your GCSE's and A level predicted grades were? Also, did you apply to oxbridge PPE?
[QUOTE=defeatedmac;45182085]I really don't think relevance should be determined by a generic list to cover ever single course the university has. Then you get situations like this.. where economics and statistics are less relevant to my application than biology.

Did you do Calculus AP? It says: 'When Maths is a required subject Calculus BC is expected'. You need an A* in Maths for Economics L101 so I'm guessing you'd need a 5 in Calculus at least.
Reply 1617
Original post by Yolosta

I am sorry. You said you got offer this morning? But lse sent decision afternoon......
Reply 1618
Original post by yxcai
I am sorry. You said you got offer this morning? But lse sent decision afternoon......

Im sure it's not completely inconceivable that they may give out offers in the morning.
Reply 1619
Original post by yxcai

Maybe but I got mine at 10:45am today

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending