The Student Room Group

Do teachers have a right to say this?

So I'm re-doing my AS and A-Levels at college, I'm about two years older then most of the other students at the college, however they still treat me like i am 16/17 years old and it's annoying. But the main point i didn't hand in the first Merit assignment in my science unit and my teacher said " You can't do any merit or distinction work now and I'm not going to mark it"
What i want to know, Does she have a right to say this? and Can she chose not to mark my work.

Can someone help clear this up for me?
Thanks
(Sorry if this is in the wrong section :s-smilie:)
Original post by adz--
So I'm re-doing my AS and A-Levels at college, I'm about two years older then most of the other students at the college, however they still treat me like i am 16/17 years old and it's annoying. But the main point i didn't hand in the first Merit assignment in my science unit and my teacher said " You can't do any merit or distinction work now and I'm not going to mark it"
What i want to know, Does she have a right to say this? and Can she chose not to mark my work.

Can someone help clear this up for me?
Thanks
(Sorry if this is in the wrong section :s-smilie:)

They do have a right in the sense that they have more work to do now as it is easier to mark everyones in batches. However, the teacher should remove their head from their ahem and stop being so mighty - this is your future for goodness sake, and in our competetive world can massively affect your future.
Reply 2
If you miss an assignment hand-in deadline, then it's usual for the work to be given a zero mark and disregarded - unless you have extenuating circumstances such as illness or bereavement. Your teacher was correct not to mark it unless you have something like that.

As for how this impacts future assignments, this may be down to your college's policies so you need to check with them. If they have an Academic Administration office, that would be a good place to start.
Reply 3
Original post by PlsGimmeMBBS
They do have a right in the sense that they have more work to do now as it is easier to mark everyones in batches. However, the teacher should remove their head from their ahem and stop being so mighty - this is your future for goodness sake, and in our competetive world can massively affect your future.

I understand what you are saying, as it is easier to mark everyones work in one batch. This is exactly what i am thinking, aren't teachers supposed to aid students to help them achieve?
Thank you for you reply

Original post by Klix88
If you miss an assignment hand-in deadline, then it's usual for the work to be given a zero mark and disregarded - unless you have extenuating circumstances such as illness or bereavement. Your teacher was correct not to mark it unless you have something like that.

As for how this impacts future assignments, this may be down to your college's policies so you need to check with them. If they have an Academic Administration office, that would be a good place to start.

I can understand that, if i miss an assignment and it wont be marked, but as it is a btec course i have been told we get two chances to do our work and that includes improvements. Unless i have not understood it, as in you only get two attempts to do the assignment unless it is the first being the first submitted assignment and the second for improvements :s-smilie:.
I have brought the issue up as i am not the only student that has been told this before by teachers but it hasn't gone anywhere.
Thank you for your reply

Quick Reply

Latest